What was the last movie you watched? IV

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Stoker

I'm surprised by how much I really liked this film. The script itself is not perfect on every level, and it gets a tad predictable at times, but the amount of detail this film addresses and the creative editing really impressed me a lot. Mia Wasikowska has a bright future ahead of her; the performance she gives is absolutely stupendous. I've never liked Matthew Goode in anything, but he was quite the charismatic fellow in this role. It's nice to see Nicole Kidman in a different kind of film, but she wasn't really memorable at all, save for maybe her little monologue bit. I really hope Chan Wook Park gets to recognized from this film, because his visual eye is something I need to see more of.

Warm Bodies.

An unlikely success in every sense of the concept, this film is a cult classic in the making. From the onset I felt as though I was sitting in a repertory cinema enjoying a favorite from the 80's, although with all the technological benefits of this century. Zombie stories are some of the most exhausted ideas in story-telling history, and therefore I find them inherently mundane. However nothing's mundane about Romeo and Juliet being divided by being alive and dead rather than their family name, and the idea of a film being narrated by a zombie in love. It sometimes trips on it's own logic and the ending was a little ideal for my tastes, however that hardly takes from this fun, clever, and creative film.

Crazy Eight wrote:Warm Bodies.

An unlikely success in every sense of the concept, this film is a cult classic in the making. From the onset I felt as though I was sitting in a repertory cinema enjoying a favorite from the 80's, although with all the technological benefits of this century. Zombie stories are some of the most exhausted ideas in story-telling history, and therefore I find them inherently mundane. However nothing's mundane about Romeo and Juliet being divided by being alive and dead rather than their family name, and the idea of a film being narrated by a zombie in love. It sometimes trips on it's own logic and the ending was a little ideal for my tastes, however that hardly takes from this fun, clever, and creative film.
So you don't like zombie flicks, but you like Warm Bodies. Sorry if I don't trust your judgement.

Maybe it's because I'm retarded.

Thoughts on Hoult?

This Is The End
8.5/10

Easily the best comedy of 2013 that I've seen so far. If you're looking for great LOL time and familiar with your Hollywood comedians, this is the movie for you.
Also, I highly recommend you see this with some friends and a packed audience.

Peace wrote:

So you don't like zombie flicks, but you like Warm Bodies. Sorry if I don't trust your judgement.

Wait, did you not read the rest of that sentence, or? I thought I made my reasoning pretty clear.

I mean, I think a zombie concept is about as mundane as it gets right off the bat since they've been done to death, but I also think that I about vampires, yet Buffy's one of my favorite shows and I made a vampire short myself. It's not that I don't like either, it's that because it's such well trodden territory it's an uphill battle as far as creativity is concerned.

mchekhov 2's Quick Reviews:

A Man Escaped, yes
Forbidden Planet, no

A successful debut for Fiennes, and acted beautifully all around. The two standouts for me were Fiennes himself, and Redgrave who both delivered the dialogue frightening, and powerfully at times. Dream described Fiennes performance as being "powerhouse", and he wasn't lying it is most definitely that. One of the better of 2011 in the men's lead, but still have a couple ahead of him most notably Shannon, Fassbender, and Oldman. Anyways I don't know if I enjoyed the film as much as others, but often times compelling to watch, and a good debut. Worth checking out for Fiennes alone.

Crazy Eight wrote:
Peace wrote:

Wait, did you not read the rest of that sentence, or? I thought I made my reasoning pretty clear.

I mean, I think a zombie concept is about as mundane as it gets right off the bat since they've been done to death, but I also think that I about vampires, yet Buffy's one of my favorite shows and I made a vampire short myself. It's not that I don't like either, it's that because it's such well trodden territory it's an uphill battle as far as creativity is concerned.
I read it. To be honest I was messing with you. I thought you would get I was giving you a hard time for the hell of it. It was my inner horror fan that made me do it. :D

To be serious.. get your point. Zombie films can be fucking flat. The shit has been beat to death and for me to enjoy a zombie flick it has to be truly inspired. It has to try to do something different. This film is something new. We have never seen a Romeo and Juliet style story played out with zombies.

It looks like a decent flick with a very original premise. I just don't see myself watching it unless I am with a group of people or a woman.

Feel free to correct any grammar and punctuation/spell mistakes. Really man your better then Spell Check.

This is the End-

A film that cripples reviews for the simple fact I wouldn't dare rob viewers of any punchline in the film-- and they start quick. Like Hot Fuzz, it subverts and emulates genre motifs while, actually, doing as good or at times a better job at executing those ideas as intended along with being ridiculously hilarious. That's mainly because of the filmmaking, which, when it needs to, is surprisingly fantastic. Never less than fully self aware or unsure how to run wild in all the right ways, This is the End sets up an extremely high bar for World's End to top. I was literally sore from laughing so hard while leaving the theater. Part of that was the crowd was wonderful and participated in all the right times, but the movie itself actually makes me a little weary World's End can top it at all.

I highly recommend you check this shit out and soon, especially if you love any or all of the cast. Also, Emma Watson is outrageously attractive, but we already knew that.

-Vader