What was the last movie you watched? IV

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Zero Dark Thirty - 9/10

whoa
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.

Durden wrote:Image

7.8/10

I guess I will be one of the first to say I was disappointed with this film, and got to excited from all the hype it has received on here. This isn't Russel's best work, and is IMO a step down from The Fighter. Cooper gives his best performance, and proves he is a very solid actor. Oscar worthy, no but the nomination I am fine with. Lawrence also delivers a good performance, but once again something that didn't blow me away. (inb4 bias) Overall good film, but something that will end up being forgettable for me.
Biased fanboy confirmed.

---------------------

Not bad, but definitely great either. Hooper's direction was a constant nuisance throughout the film as I feared. Apart the from the magnificent, sweeping opening shot, the rest of the picture was a total bore to look at and the scope was far too minimal for such an epic production. Jackman, Hathaway and Barks were superb though - easily the standouts. Provided great raw emotion, heart and fabulous voices. Crowe.....bless him, he tried but he simply cannot sing and his scenes were borderline comical at times. If you're a fan of the stage production then you may find yourself a tad underwhelmed as it could and probably should have been far better.

C+

Dream-Xtractor wrote:
Durden wrote:Image

7.8/10

I guess I will be one of the first to say I was disappointed with this film, and got to excited from all the hype it has received on here. This isn't Russel's best work, and is IMO a step down from The Fighter. Cooper gives his best performance, and proves he is a very solid actor. Oscar worthy, no but the nomination I am fine with. Lawrence also delivers a good performance, but once again something that didn't blow me away. (inb4 bias) Overall good film, but something that will end up being forgettable for me.
Biased fanboy confirmed.
:lol: :clap:

For a Good Time, Call...

Such a fun movie. A welcomed break from the really good award winning films. It really is hilarious; and falls under the category of modern chick flick.

Allstar wrote:
Dream-Xtractor wrote:
Biased fanboy confirmed.
:lol: :clap:
I did think it was her best performance yet. Just prefer Chastain and Cotillard.

Durden wrote:
Allstar wrote: :lol: :clap:
I did think it was her best performance yet. Just prefer Chastain and Cotillard.
I dont have a problem with your opinion. :lol: I did not even watch SLP yet, I just find you two bickering funny as hell.

Reposted from the Zero Dark Thirty Thread:

One of the most talked about, highly anticipated, and controversial films of the year is nothing short of what the critics have said: intense, well-acted, fascinating, and yes, controversial. Bigelow's direction in this film is first-rate and after seeing the film, it's a shame she didn't get nominated. The ensemble cast is also very good, with Chastain giving a very good performance ***(I'll explain why I still prefer Lawrence's performance over hers later)*** as does the rest of the cast, particularly Jason Clarke (who I feel should have gotten at least a little bit of Oscar buzz), and Mark Strong.

The first 30-40 minutes of this film is fascinating, showing intense interrogation scenes and we are able to get better acclimated with our environment. The next hour or so shows much of the investigation of various suspects, one in particular, and switches from location to location. I thought the film did a great job at showing the environment of various Middle Eastern countries, and I was never short of attentive during the duration of the film. The last hour of the film is more singularly focused on identifying the man who is at a mysteriously well guarded compound in Pakistan. Needless to say, as countless others have already stated, the raid is an amazing sequence.

A great, riveting, procedural film that is more tense and suspenseful than many have let on, Zero Dark Thirty not only deserves the praise, but in many ways it surpasses it.

***Now, I very much liked Chastain's performance here of a career-driven and extremely determined and focused woman. However, by no fault of hers, we aren't allowed to get a full range of emotion from Maya, which is what the movie is all about: her determination to get UBL. This is why I prefer Lawrence's performance. Lawrence's character is allowed to give a full range of emotion, from unstable to stable, from feisty and determined to vulnerable. Again, this is just my preference and my opinion, but because of how the two roles were written, I think Lawrence was able to give a more complete performance regarding rounding out her character fully.

Read more: http://www.nolanfans.com/forums/viewtop ... z2Hj64SZDY

9.0/10

Silver Linings Playbook- Amazing.

Cooper, Lawrence, DeNiro all fantastic.... Especially Cooper. :clap:

IWatchFilmsNotMovies wrote:Silver Linings Playbook- Amazing.

Cooper, Lawrence, DeNiro all fantastic.... Especially Cooper. :clap: