What was the last movie you watched? IV

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Micool wrote:World War Z C+
How do you score so many pre-screeners?

7.5/10

Inspirational. :)

Upstream Color---I have little idea what Carruth is trying to express, but I enjoyed watching him try.

Sandy wrote:Upstream Color---I have little idea what Carruth is trying to express, but I enjoyed watching him try.
A lot of it seems pretty usual stuff. There's that idea of malice propagating connectivity through peoples, so in a way without 'evil' things like scams, even psychedelic ones, people may not find eachother in a beautiful and powerful way. The second act, to me anyway, continues this idea to an extreme, showing the loss of identity with other people shown by their swapping histories and confusing what happened to whom. When you fall in love, does your identity and past become shared, or do you remain autonomous? Does it matter? This evolution continues, and we're brought along with them. Their confusion mirrors our own displacement, and a sensuous ultimately begins overtaking them, just as it does stylistically in the film.

I have no idea what the pigs mean, lol. or why that dude loomed around.

-Vader

Children of Men.

I can't decide how I feel about the idea of tackling this grand concept with enormous implications and scope, and telling it from a single perspective that 'ends' basically at the very beginning of the concept's journey. On one hand I love how ballsy and fresh it is, on the other it seems almost like a cop-out. Either way, the concept is genius, and the technical execution of the film nearly flawless (other than that fucking CG baby).

Vader182 wrote:
Sandy wrote:Upstream Color---I have little idea what Carruth is trying to express, but I enjoyed watching him try.
A lot of it seems pretty usual stuff. There's that idea of malice propagating connectivity through peoples, so in a way without 'evil' things like scams, even psychedelic ones, people may not find eachother in a beautiful and powerful way. The second act, to me anyway, continues this idea to an extreme, showing the loss of identity with other people shown by their swapping histories and confusing what happened to whom. When you fall in love, does your identity and past become shared, or do you remain autonomous? Does it matter? This evolution continues, and we're brought along with them. Their confusion mirrors our own displacement, and a sensuous ultimately begins overtaking them, just as it does stylistically in the film.

-Vader
The part with the pigs is what really stumped me. This reddit discussion is helping me understand and giving me headaches at the same time.

http://www.reddit.com/r/TrueFilm/commen ... eam_color/

Dodd wrote:Image
7.5/10

Inspirational. :)
Our first DVD in my family. :angel:

I'd give it a 9
Last edited by Atlas Retreat on June 19th, 2013, 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Red Hood wrote:
ArmandFancypants wrote:
the_red_ninja wrote: More like, not enough boobs. :P
Gandolfini brings his share.
Now I feel guilty for posting this.

Red Hood wrote: Now I feel guilty for posting this.
Have I ever told you how much I love your username?

Sandy wrote:
Vader182 wrote:

-Vader
The part with the pigs is what really stumped me. This reddit discussion is helping me understand and giving me headaches at the same time.

http://www.reddit.com/r/TrueFilm/commen ... eam_color/
I love diving into film analysis after watching something, but I seriously believe if a film like Upstream Color requires as much explanation and validation as it does post-viewing, then it's not a good thing. I'm convinced Carruth was trying to show everyone something only he could truly understand. I applaud the effort, but the pretension is strong with this one.

I bet even Malick would be like "lol what the fuck is this guy on?"