What was the last movie you watched? IV

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Superman II (1980)
Dir. Richard Lester

If the first film is the messy prototype for these grand, sweeping superhero epics that Chris Nolan puts together, this one is the prototype for everything else. Protracted and mostly unintelligent action framing a kinda neat concept of Superman losing his powers to be with Lois. I'd like it more if it went further with that - we only get the consequences very briefly before it's back to business as usual. The highlights of the first film were the two names billed above the title - Brando and Hackman, but here it's certainly Stamp, who dials it either to 11 or 1 and nothing in-between. It's a fun, disposable film, but like the first one, marred by the compromise at the hands of the Salkinds.

Monsters University (2013)
Dir. Dan Scanlon

Hooray! First it was Shane Black, now it's Dan Scanlon actually getting genre right and providing something that does precisely what it says on the tin. Such is the state of cinema now that we have to applaud such things, but Monsters University is nonetheless a charming and fun piece of work from Pixar that surprisingly forges ahead into unusual but essential thematic territory for a children's film, revolving around aspirations and capability. There are some great gags in there without it being necessarily uproarious - it doesn't hit the heights of the masterful original, but it does deserve a place next to it in the Pixar stable. One lakeside scene during the third act elevates the whole thing, for me personally, to being something of a return to form. Even if I did like Brave for its gumption.

I haven't seen any of the animated Batman films, but I do agree that the Batfamily needs to be explored more outside of the comics, especially Nightwing.

BroskiSabor wrote:I haven't seen any of the animated Batman films, but I do agree that the Batfamily needs to be explored more outside of the comics, especially Nightwing.
You should really check out some of the animated films - worth it yo. Especially the latest ones.

IWatchFilmsNotMovies wrote:
eromero wrote:Image

World War Z

I'll be honest, I was one of the ones that thought this was going to be a complete disaster. This was pretty good, a pleasant surprise. Very intense thriller. A fun entertaining flick that draws you into the action immediately and from that point on is non stop. There were some good action sequences. Well done, good plot and I found myself completely engaged in the movie from beginning to end, actually caring about these characters. I did see it in 3D and the 3D added nothing. Skip the 3D.

Grade: B
Thoughts on James Badge Dale?
He has a small role in the movie. Not much screen time but he's good. Overall I thought all the performances were good overall. The entire film though really relies on Brad Pitt's performance. He has to carry the film since he has all the screen time.

Primer & Upstream Color

Upstream Color is easily the better film but I actually liked Primer more. Upstream Color is one of those films that I think is just beautiful but somehow I'm not personally invested in it. Though I felt continuously engaged, I was always appreciating it from an outside perspective rather than an immersive one. And still, I found it really phenomenal.

I thoroughly enjoyed both. I really need to watch them again soon, especially upstream color.

I look forward to this guys next picture.

Princess Mononoke---Great film that I need to watch again, probably a few times. I wasn't really in the right mood this afternoon, so some of the magic was wasted upon me. Well made, beautiful film, though.

I Saw The Devil---Min-Sik Choi is one hell of an actor. I love Korean cinema. Damn this is a violent flick, though.

Oz: The Great and Powerful.

No.

Crazy Eight wrote:Oz: The Great and Powerful.

No.
Did Franco transform?

Sandy wrote:though.
I Saw The Devil---Min-Sik Choi is one hell of an actor. I love Korean cinema. Damn this is a violent flick, though.
it was pretty damn good though.

Durden wrote:
Sandy wrote:though.
it was pretty damn good though.
Yep it was awesome.