What was the last movie you watched? IV

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
natalie wrote:The Great Gatsby

7/10

Nothing special, kind of boring and someone needs to kill Tobey for me. The guy sucks!
c'mon natalie. What specifically out of Tobey's performance would you say sucked? Please don't just say "all of it".

Sandy wrote:
natalie wrote:The Great Gatsby

7/10

Nothing special, kind of boring and someone needs to kill Tobey for me. The guy sucks!
c'mon natalie. What specifically out of Tobey's performance would you say sucked? Please don't just say "all of it".
Agreed. I specially liked him in Brothers, but none of his performances (that I now remember) would be what I would define as bad.
Un lladre es un artista. Fa servir la imaginació per lluirse cuan roba el seu trofeu. Els detectius només analitzen el delicte i ens denuncien. Els detectius son uns simples critics.

Not impressed, but I liked it. Joel Edgerton fucking rocked.

A Single Man by Tom Ford

Outstanding. Ford's direction is perfect. I read some criticisms saying that he was too flashy, but I strongly disagree. Firth is one of the best actors on the planet. Not enough people talk about Matthew Goode. He is great as well.

Damn good movie. Damn good. I feel like this is a spiritual successor to Le Fou Follet and Oslo, August 31st. The primary difference is in the intent of the filmmaker.

And is it just me, or have the two best romance dramas in the past ten years involved homosexual relationships? I certainly don't condemn such a thing, I just have to wonder if that not only reflects an acceptance of gay relationships as well as a subtextual understanding that male/female relations aren't doing all that hot right now.
Last edited by Sandy on May 19th, 2013, 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sandy wrote:A Single Man by Tom Ford

Outstanding. Ford's direction is perfect. I read some criticisms saying that he was too flashy, but I strongly disagree. Firth is one of the best actors on the planet. Not enough people talk about Matthew Goode. He is great as well.

Damn good movie. Damn good.
:clap:

Alberto wrote:
Sandy wrote:A Single Man by Tom Ford

Damn good movie. Damn good.
:clap:
Yeah it was solid. I was writing an edit while you quoted this. Sorry you didn't like Gatsby a little more. Edgerton did a fine job, though.

Alberto wrote:Image

I find it amusing you only mention Edgerton.

Allstar wrote:
Alberto wrote:Image

I find it amusing you only mention Edgerton.
He impressed me the most out of all the actors. He was amazing. I thought Carey Mulligan was great as well, I've always seen her as cute, but here she was beautiful and delivered a nice performance. Dicaprio was good in the first part, but he started getting a bit boring and turned to an usual performance. And I can't take Tobey Maguire seriously, I don't know, he didn't fit the role at all, imo.

Well I had typed out a more articulate "review" or whatever you would want to call it but this damn site deleted it but fuck it here we go again.

The Dark Knight Rises

This film is beyond intimidating to review. Also plenty has been written about the film. So I'm just going to touch on my favorite aspect of the film and one I don't believe is talked about enough.

The urge and desire to live up to your parents and honor their legacy.

Bruce was inspired by his father, Thomas. It is because of Thomas Bruce is able to channel his anger and do good with it but, Bruce becomes lost along his path as Batman. He starts to think he must give his life to the city for his accomplishments to have any merit.

lets switch to Talia for a second. She of course wants to make her father proud. She wants to honor him and fulfill his legacy. Neverfuckingmind it's going to end in her own death. Think about that for a second. She is going to kill herself to fulfill her father's goals. That is beyond fucked up. It also is tragic. The only way she feels close to her father is by having to fulfill HIS legacy. Ra's and his sick world view helped turn her into the monster that she was. So I am more sad for her then angry at her for her actions. She is just trying to make her father proud. To honor him.

Bruce comes to see this... Thomas would never want Bruce to give his life trying to "honor" him. How you honor your parents is you take what they instilled in you and create your OWN path. Your own legacy. You just do it in a way that would make your parents proud. Witnessing Talia's death made Bruce understand this.

So yeah I know I didn't review the film or really even stratch the surface. I just wanted to highlight this aspect of the film. For me this is the best part of the Trilogy. For without it there would be no Batman.

Oh and if you want to know my rating I give it twenty bat-o-rangs :twothumbsup:
Say Girl