What was the last movie you watched? IV

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Star Trek Into Darkness: IMAX

I can't think of a particular film that more aptly fits the phrase "It had it's moments" than this one. Bare with me, as I think 3D significantly diminishes ones ability to judge a films visuals, but nonetheless I'll state my thoughts of the present. Like it's predecessor, Into Darkness lacks much geography in it's photography, and I don't merely apply this to the lack of on-site shooting, but to the filmmaker's seemingly ignoring how distance and movement works. Frames are cluttered, lens flares overbearing each image, and the movement and composition is jarring at best, leading to some pretty fucking awfully shot action sequences. The 3D did nothing but further add to the messy images on screen, and constant seemingly unplanned IMAX footage sporadically shifting the ratio made it even worse. I'd like to see it in 2D, how it was actually intended, for which I'll wait until it arrives on Blu-ray.
The script constantly flip-flopping character roles was annoying as hell. Krik's Captain, he's not Captain, he's captain again. Scotty quits in what's basically his real introduction to the film for less than perfectly clarified reasons, and he obviously ends up back in that position mid-way through the film. Harrison's Harrison, Harrison's Khan, Khan's bad, Khan's good, Khan's bad again. The trope was used to almost comical proportions. Despite this, moments of the script stood out, such as basically everything out of Khan's mouth, and the incredibly epic and satisfying last 20 or so minutes. The performances were stellar as well, Cumberbatch and Quinto being the forerunners. Khan, despite having epic dialogue, wasn't a greatly written villain, and could have easily became as unnotable as the next blockbuster villain, but Cumberbatch brought a power and screen command that most actors simply can't.

Brilliant. Favorite film of the year, so far.

Alberto wrote:Image

I really want to see it but life keeps getting in the way. Hope I can catch it before its out the cinemas
Why you lurking my page brah?

Dodd wrote:
Alberto wrote:Image

I really want to see it but life keeps getting in the way. Hope I can catch it before its out the cinemas
Do it, you won't regret. It's fucking incredible.
I convinced a friend to come with me, although he's not much of a movie goer, he mostly watches action and comedy films. And after we got out, he was like "Is this real life? Was that a movie I just watched? What's happening? Damn, I could die tomorrow and I'd be happy I watched it". So, yeah..

Alberto wrote:
Dodd wrote: Image

I convinced a friend to come with me, although he's not much of a movie goer, he mostly watches action and comedy films. And after we got out, he was like "Is this real life? Was that a movie I just watched? What's happening? Damn, I could die tomorrow and I'd be happy I watched it". So, yeah..
Any standout performances? McAvoy? Cassel?

Dream-Xtractor wrote:
Alberto wrote:
Any standout performances? McAvoy? Cassel?
Damn, it's tough, they were all good, but I'm gonna go with McAvoy. His character goes through some really unexpected changes that make his performance require some skill, which he displays perfectly. Cassel was fine as well and Rosario.. well, I'm not gonna say anything about her performance, but you'll love her in this film.

Hard to rate this film after so many viewings. It's not a laugh-out-loud comedy, but it's certainly got a lot of soul behind it. Low-budget production at its best. I realize it has its flaws, but it's easy for me to forgive them because it's such a heartwarming ode to community and film.

8.5/10

BroskiSabor wrote:Image

Hard to rate this film after so many viewings. It's not a laugh-out-loud comedy, but it's certainly got a lot of soul behind it. Low-budget production at its best. I realize it has its flaws, but it's easy for me to forgive them because it's such a heartwarming ode to community and film.

8.5/10
haha i forgot about that one. I like it.

Warm Bodies

Cool movie. Nice flip on the Zombie genre. Hoult makes a good zombie yo.

Now You See Me C

then again this might be a film I have to watch again to pick up on some little things that might make the film make more sense lol