What was the last movie you watched? IV

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Star Trek Into Darkness
While I was never familiar with the mythos and had never considered watching any of the series the franchise Star Trek has produced in the past, in 2009 I decided to watch J.J. Abrams new take on the story out of curiousity. The reaction I got after watching that pseudo-reboot was pleasure. The pleasure of a very interesting surprise. In 2013, I went to watch the very anticipated sequel of that beloved hit, and I have to say, it didn't maintain the level. At all.

Now, this is not a bad movie. I liked it, I enjoyed, but in my opinion it was quite underwhelming. The word that came to my head after watching the movie was 'synchronization'. Or rather, lack of. When I separated individual elements in this movie and compared them to the first installement, I noticed that there's no single thing that is really better or worse than it was in the first movie, it's just that they work together less smoothly.

The film was visually fantastic. The production design was beautiful. Abrams wanted every scene wanted every scene to look perfect, and it shows.

In terms of performances, Benedict Cumberbatch is simply is amazing, his Khan was the real standout for me (or maybe I'm just too much of a Cumby fanboy). I felt chills down the spine simply when hearing his voice. Zachary Quinto and Zoe Saldana are good as always as Spock and Uhura (Quinto better than Saldana, but she still did a pretty good job). Peter Weller is always fun to watch. I couldn't care less about Kirk and I got the sensation Chris Pine simply lacks the acting talent required for Kirk's problems to have any kind of emotional impact on me (an aspect that really disappointed me, in comparision Chris' capabilites were in-check in the first movie and better exploited there).

I also had some problems with the side characters. I felt the only reason they were in this movie was because this is a franchise and they were contractually obligated. Especially Chekov is completely unnecessary. He wears a Red Shirt and, while he doesn't die, I suppuse it signaled that his importance had been reduced to that of a common background player. Bones felt more annoying in this than in the first one. Simon Pegg's Scotty still has his own shining moments, I always love to see Pegg.

Oh! The music. Could't forget the music! Giacchino's score was, I do not lie here, probably the best part of the film outside the visuals. It was able to create atmosphere and it was the only real thing suggesting me to be really moved by what was going on the screen (Kirk's arc certainly wasn't). Special mention to the first minutes after the prologue, the scene with Noel Clarke and his sick daughter. Such a powerful scene, the only real powerful scene in the movie. That was like it's own short movie, amazing music, powerful acting by Noel impressive direction... if I could give Oscars to individuals scenes like if they were shorts I would certainly consider this scene as one of my favorites this year.

I simply couldn't engage in this film. I did not care about the story, what the characters felt or wanted... It was not a bad experience, I have to say, the technical elements were jaw-dropping, though overall I considered it to be a bit empty. It's not a bad film, it's not a bad sequel (though disappointing, in my opinion) and it's not a bad blockbuster to enjoy either, but after having seen both this and Iron Man Three (and having no expectations for the others coming in the future, though I'm curious about Pacific Rim) I can now safely say Man of Steel will be the summer blockbuster of 2013.

While I generally like to watch a film at least two times to give a rating, but I probably won't see this until July or until it comes out in Blu-Ray, so if anyone is interested I'm circling around a 7,5.
Un lladre es un artista. Fa servir la imaginació per lluirse cuan roba el seu trofeu. Els detectius només analitzen el delicte i ens denuncien. Els detectius son uns simples critics.

JohnConstantine wrote:Image

Men in Black 3

2/5

:|
C'mon, at least it was better than 2!

BroskiSabor wrote:

Men in Black 3

2/5

I disagree. I think the second one was very good, almost equal to the first (except for the SFX which were horrible).

BroskiSabor wrote:

Men in Black 3

2/5

Saw it almost a decade ago. Liked 2 better then than 3 now. In fact 3 is... :|

The villain is a joke, acting is *I'm here for the paycheck*, sfx looks "fake" and the screenplay is meh.

BroskiSabor wrote:

Men in Black 3

2/5

I'm siding with Broski on this one. The humor was very clever and it was a welcome addition to the franchise. And that ending :(

Insomnia B

Flight (2012)

Great film!
Denzel is amazing. Goodman is awesome. Really enjoyed this film
4/5

Hunger (2008)

A deeply disturbing look at the 1981 Irish hunger strike with an excellent central performance by Michael Fassbender. I was really impressed by Steve McQueen's direction and I think he's an excellent visual story-teller. The depiction of the horrific events is absolutely relentless and extremely uncomfortable yet I was always thoroughly compelled and I actually found the film to be quite powerful and resonant. Definitely worth watching but I can't imagine that I'll be revisiting it any time soon.

Star Tre Into Darkness.................8.5/10

Still processing my thoughts, but it was amazing. Awesome follow up and definitely can't wait for the third one. I just hope JJ is able to do it.
"It doesn't matter how you get knocked down in life because that's going to happen. All that matters is you gotta get up."