What was the last movie you watched? IV

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
User avatar
Posts: 19378
Joined: June 2010
Location: The White City
Django Unchained-


This isn't a formal review (I want a second viewing for that, probably later this year, loosely possibly in theaters), but basically the editing fucked with the whole goddamn movie. The whole film had a peculiar rhythm that became most obvious in the second half. Additionally, the photography was bland and boring. I realize Tarantino wanted to echo spaghetti westerns, but I've seen the most famous of them and they're all visually spectacular (or most of them). Django was far from. That said, it's a fucking spectacular and wild film with an ensamble of many of the best performances of the year. Christoph is the best by a healthy margin, but Leo and Jackson are both frickin' fantastic themselves. Where it's going and how it gets there is always a riveting, hilarious, and shocking thing to watch unravel. It's a crowd pleasing film in the vein of Kill Bill with also some of the weightiest materiel in Tarantino's catalogue, placing it, for me, under Basterds and Pulp Fiction, both of which I consider absolute masterpieces of filmmaking. Unchained could have been, and really, the footage itself really is that good, but the editing stifles it with a bizarre flow from scene to scene and even within some scenes themselves. Scenes have different movements without really building between them much at all. It also has what might be the most badass shootout in decades and possibly even cinema history given the way many are talking about it.
Also-many complained about it having 'two endings' and the first is better. I disagree. Aside of the weirdly paced and weird rhythm in the way the Tarantino cameo stuff is handled, the film wouldn't have come completely full circle had the film's final ten minutes ended any differently.
9.1/10

-Vader

User avatar
Forum Pro
Posts: 54871
Joined: May 2010
Location: Jackson County
Vader182 wrote:Django Unchained-


This isn't a formal review (I want a second viewing for that, probably later this year, loosely possibly in theaters), but basically the editing fucked with the whole goddamn movie. The whole film had a peculiar rhythm that became most obvious in the second half. Additionally, the photography was bland and boring. I realize Tarantino wanted to echo spaghetti westerns, but I've seen the most famous of them and they're all visually spectacular (or most of them). Django was far from. That said, it's a fucking spectacular and wild film with an ensamble of many of the best performances of the year. Christoph is the best by a healthy margin, but Leo and Jackson are both frickin' fantastic themselves. Where it's going and how it gets there is always a riveting, hilarious, and shocking thing to watch unravel. It's a crowd pleasing film in the vein of Kill Bill with also some of the weightiest materiel in Tarantino's catalogue, placing it, for me, under Basterds and Pulp Fiction, both of which I consider absolute masterpieces of filmmaking. Unchained could have been, and really, the footage itself really is that good, but the editing stifles it with a bizarre flow from scene to scene and even within some scenes themselves. Scenes have different movements without really building between them much at all. It also has what might be the most badass shootout in decades and possibly even cinema history given the way many are talking about it.
Also-many complained about it having 'two endings' and the first is better. I disagree. Aside of the weirdly paced and weird rhythm in the way the Tarantino cameo stuff is handled, the film wouldn't have come completely full circle had the film's final ten minutes ended any differently.
9.1/10

-Vader
What you said, although I felt more bothered by those faults in my ''review''.
    "Just a girl. Not a threat."

    User avatar
    Posts: 1883
    Joined: March 2009
    Location: Leiden
    The King's Speech
    Great film with good performances of Firth and Rush. However, I'm not sure if I agree on this winning best picture, but that's just an opinion.
    8/10

    Biutiful
    Awesome performance of Badrem. Pretty heavy loaded subject, well executed.
    8/10
    David emerges from the store slowly. He braces himself against a parked car and then keeps on walking in a nightmarish daze.

    WE PULL BACK as David blends in with dozens and dozens of ordinary people, walking on an ordinary street, in an ordinary city.

    User avatar
    Posts: 4317
    Joined: June 2012
    Location: SUH-waaaaannn-SEA
    Wreck-it Ralph

    Expectations: 7/10
    Reality: 8/10

    A funny and charming film with a strong story and spot-on casting. It didn't even matter that I didn't understand/ missed any vidigame references, that was how much the film sucked me in. Visually it was great and the 3D was good too. Pixar, you've done it again. :clap:

    User avatar
    Posts: 21411
    Joined: June 2010
    Location: All-Hail Master Virgo, Censor of NolanFans
    MikaHaeli8 wrote:Expectations: 7/10
    Reality: 8/10
    This must be the modern way of rating movies.

    User avatar
    Posts: 4317
    Joined: June 2012
    Location: SUH-waaaaannn-SEA
    RIFA wrote:
    MikaHaeli8 wrote:Expectations: 7/10
    Reality: 8/10
    This must be the modern way of rating movies.
    :eh: It's just my way...I used it with Life of Pi and found that it worked for me.

    User avatar
    Posts: 4377
    Joined: June 2011
    Location: Romania
    MikaHaeli8 wrote:Wreck-it Ralph

    Expectations: 7/10
    Reality: 8/10

    A funny and charming film with a strong story and spot-on casting. It didn't even matter that I didn't understand/ missed any vidigame references, that was how much the film sucked me in. Visually it was great and the 3D was good too. Pixar, you've done it again. :clap:
    No Pixar movie. Made only by Disney, like Tangled.

    Posts: 168
    Joined: November 2012
    Image

    First movie I've seen released this year and It's terrible. Why do January movies always suck? 2/10

    User avatar
    Posts: 3643
    Joined: January 2011
    Location: Stuck in the lounge area
    Django Unchained
    Image
    9/10

    Vader's post pretty much summarizes my feelings to the film.

    User avatar
    Posts: 4317
    Joined: June 2012
    Location: SUH-waaaaannn-SEA
    JohnConstantine wrote:
    MikaHaeli8 wrote:Wreck-it Ralph

    Expectations: 7/10
    Reality: 8/10

    A funny and charming film with a strong story and spot-on casting. It didn't even matter that I didn't understand/ missed any vidigame references, that was how much the film sucked me in. Visually it was great and the 3D was good too. Pixar, you've done it again. :clap:
    No Pixar movie. Made only by Disney, like Tangled.
    Bollocks, my bad.

    Locked