What was the last movie you watched? IV

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
The Adventures Of Robin Hood
The quintessential Robin Hood movie.
Rating- 5/5

didich wrote:
Red Hood wrote: Original: 9/10
1997 Special Edition: 7/10 (Jedi Rocks dropped it down by two points :facepalm: )
2004 DVD: 6.5/10
2011 Blu-Ray: 6/10
I personally accept and welcome the visual changes. Even if ti's CGI, it helps represent the more 'weird' world Lucas was trying to create. I also can understand some changes like the Anakin Ghost for the sake of continuity (although the 'BIG NO' is not as forgivable, as it was a total failure and doesn't affect anything at all).

But things like that song...
Ah, the great "which-Star-Wars-version-is-better" debate.

The 1997 edition was my introduction to SW, so I couldn't really be bothered by any of the changes because I didn't know they were changes in the first place. :D
Actually (don't kill me please), I still find Victory Celebration much more fitting than Yub Nub as an ending theme and much more moving.
I'd have done without Jedi Rocks, though.

As for the Force ghosts, I do think young Anakin could make sense from a thematic/symbolic point of view, but it's unforgivable that they recycled footage taken from a screen test. Shaw's acting was part of what made that scene so emotional and beautiful. Christensen literally just stands there. :problem:

And the "NOOOOOOOOOOOO" just breaks my heart. And not in a good way.

Bottle Rocket-7/10

The Royal Tenenbaums-9/10

Looper
8.9/10

Great film, and so different than I expected. I think there were a lot of good performances, but the only one that really stands out to me and will be in my top list at the end of the year is Blunt, who is a badass, but also nails her more vulnerable side. One complaint is at times it felt very campy, and almost comedic but it made up for that with very powerful moments, and being incredibly original at times. I would have liked it better if Dano played Kid Blue, but maybe that's just me. The main problem I had with the film is the first hour I felt the length, and in the back of my head I was really thinking is this gonna pick up? The other problem like I mentioned in the Looper thread was
Kid Blue on the motorcycle at the end felt so campy, and almost made the film feel like it wasn't taking itself seriously :wtf:
One moment in the film is one of my favorite scenes of the year, and so mind blowing
when Cid blows up Jesse :o
The third act of this film is amazing, and made up for any faults it had going into it. It was so original, and really delivered on the emotional front with some mind blowing moments. Overall really liked it, but I am surprised people are throwing around 10/10 or even better than TDKR, but that is just me. One more thing my theater reaction was terrible, I could tell people really didn't like it. :crazy:

Durden_77 wrote:Image
Looper
8.9/10

Great film, and so different than I expected. I think there were a lot of good performances, but the only one that really stands out to me and will be in my top list at the end of the year is Blunt, who is a badass, but also nails her more vulnerable side. One complaint is at times it felt very campy, and almost comedic but it made up for that with very powerful moments, and being incredibly original at times. I would have liked it better if Dano played Kid Blue, but maybe that's just me. The main problem I had with the film is the first hour I felt the length, and in the back of my head I was really thinking is this gonna pick up? The other problem like I mentioned in the Looper thread was
Kid Blue on the motorcycle at the end felt so campy, and almost made the film feel like it wasn't taking itself seriously :wtf:
One moment in the film is one of my favorite scenes of the year, and so mind blowing
when Cid blows up Jesse :o
The third act of this film is amazing, and made up for any faults it had going into it. It was so original, and really delivered on the emotional front with some mind blowing moments. Overall really liked it, but I am surprised people are throwing around 10/10 or even better than TDKR, but that is just me. One more thing my theater reaction was terrible, I could tell people really didn't like it. :crazy:
I agree with most of what you said. I was actually surprised with my theaters reaction. It's usually pretty quiet but everyone seemed to really enjoy the film. There were even some audible gasps when
Cid blows up Jesse and also when old Joe kills the kid.

Durden_77 wrote:but the only one that really stands out to me and will be in my top list at the end of the year is Blunt
:neutral:
One complaint is at times it felt very campy, and almost comedic but it made up for that with very powerful moments
Not sure what moments you are talking about but there is a fair amount of intentional comedy in the film. For example
Joe drinking out of Cid's cup is supposed to be funny. :lol:

Allstar wrote:Not sure what moments you are talking about but there is a fair amount of intentional comedy in the film. For example
Joe drinking out of Cid's cup is supposed to be funny. :lol:
The main issue with the camp was the spoiler I mentioned in my review. I know it was supposed to be comedic at times and I had no problem with
Joe drinking out of Cid's cup at all
but I do think that the film could have used less comedy though.

Performance wise I thought JGL and Willis both did a good job, but I don't see those two performance's being very memorable in the long run, and definitely don't have them as award caliber. I actually liked JGL better in TDKR, but I have only seen Looper once so a little early to judge. I thought the little kid did a fantastic job though, and nailed his part.

Performance wise I thought JGL and Willis both did a good job, but I don't see those two performance's being very memorable in the long run
I am pretty surprised you thought that.

Allstar wrote:
Performance wise I thought JGL and Willis both did a good job, but I don't see those two performance's being very memorable in the long run
It think they both were good, but nothing really spectacular. It reminded me of Drive, where the movie was great, but the lead wasn't really special. I am not trying to say either was bad or anything, because both were good and did a respectful job.

Durden_77 wrote:
Allstar wrote:
It think they both were good, but nothing really spectacular. It reminded me of Drive, where the movie was great, but the lead wasn't really special. I am not trying to say either was bad or anything, because both were good and did a respectful job.
:think:

I thought Gosling was a great in Drive actually but with that said I think JGL and Bruce are on another level than that performance. I feel Bruce's performance was very easy to tell how good it was on a first view but I get a sense some people will find JGL's performance more and more impressive on repeated viewings because he did a lot of subtle things to emulate Willis that not everyone may have caught on a first view because they were too busy trying to keep up with the crazy plot since I knew what was coming I think I was able to pay closer to attention to that aspect. I am pretty confident I find this his most impressive performance to date but I don't want to make it official until 2 viewings because I obviously love so many of his performances. I am happy you loved Blunt as much as me though. ;)