Divergent (2014)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

the_red_ninja wrote:Divergent grosses $56 million opening weekend
http://pagetopremiere.com/2014/03/diver ... g-weekend/
Now let's see if it can hold up through the coming weeks. I don't know if the $56 million this weekend is due to the "must be there immediately" fans of the books being there, or if it generally included a lot of casual movie goers.

And in case anyone was wondering, the first Hunger Games movie reached $67.3 million on it's opening weekend.

Oh Shailene is in Mexico lmao.

Shailene received the Female Star of Tomorrow award at CinemaCon.

So I saw this today. They did a really good job yo. The first half was solid story telling - great foundation for the franchise. The simulations, training, and the zipline sequence were amazeballs (wish I had IMAX) Whereas the second half they were cutting alot of corners from what I know from the book, so the editing was really icky for me.
The finale of Tris vs. Four was well done.
The ending sort of falls flat, but thats how I felt when reading it too. Otherwise this is a worthy adaptation.

>I know that Shailene Woodley is a great actress, yet she can still impress me: Her physicality was something new from her in this role and she pulls it off yo. I do miss her long locks.
>Jai Courtney and Miles Teller were great in the sense that errrrtime they said something I would literally mutter under my breath "fuck off Eric/Peter".
>I didn't know that the guy that played Al is Michael Madsen's son - thought he had a familiar face.
>This franchise has hit the jackpot with Theo James as Four. Like seriously, he does not have much to say but his presence alone is magnetic and eminent, and is face *swoons*. His chemistry with Woodley is schweet and genuine too.

I really hope that they step it up with the sequel.

This thing isn't making much is it?

11072014 wrote:This thing isn't making much is it?
Not too shabby yo
The first picture scored a $54.6M opening in March and has now racked up $117M domestic and $139M worldwide in three weeks of release. It’s still rolling out strong internationally and opens this weekend in France, Germany, Russia, Australia, Scandinavia, and other territories. Meanwhile sales of Roth’s novels have also enjoyed a bump from the film’s release, with boxed set and multi-book e-bundles jumping up 55 percent in sales last week and nearly 20 million copies sold worldwide.

A worldwide BO of 139 million when it was made for 85?
It's not too bad, but it's not what I would call a hit.

If you haven't heard by now, Divergent is online and/or available on blu ray yo.

Secondly, Neil Burger talks about a deleted violent scene which surprisingly was not left out because of the rating.

I'm not allowed to watch it, so here's the write up:
"The clip shows Tris and some of the other initiates waking up in the middle of the night to the sound of the agonizing screams of Edward (Ben Lamb), one of the leading Dauntless initiates. In the book, the scene is a demonstration of just how competitive the Dauntless trainees are, and how determined some of them are to rise to the top -- or at the very least, to not wash out.

Burger says he heard the theory that the scene was cut because of the violence, but corrected the assumption, saying that wasn't really cut for the rating. "That was mostly cut out because it was interrupting the flow of the story," he explained, adding that he loved the scene and thought Ben Lamb's performance was great..." for more

Kind of sucks for the actor Ben Lamb, who plays Edward, because
Due to this attack he is forced to become Factionless - and the Factionless are sort of a big deal in the next movies yo. Edward is probably going to be cut out from the story now.