Divergent (2014)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
MiracleSleeper2 wrote:
the_red_ninja wrote:I still think it will be one of the top IMAX movies of the year yo.
Probably, considering its pre-existing fanbase and constant marketing.
I was referring more to the big stunts and action, but you're right too.

B

the_red_ninja wrote:Image

Caekzor wrote:
the_red_ninja wrote:Image
If you must know,
it's a training exercise in the film. Capture the flag stuff.

Admittedly I have not seen the movie or even read the book but from what I have been told this book/movie just seems like the author read Harry Potter and Hunger Games and tried to copy them.

MiracleSleeper2 wrote:Did anyone see this tonight?

http://www.nolanfans.com/forums/viewtop ... ead#unread

^^My super-mini review.
Cool. I'm actually relieved that those that haven't read the books are giving somewhat positive reviews :thumbup:

As for myself, it ony comes out in 2 weeks #thirdworldproblems

I'm with Vader, didn't enjoy it much at all. Never had much interest to see it in the first place but was willing to give it a go courtesy of some friends -- turned out to be a rather generic experience for the most part. Woodley did her best but with such a mundane script there was only so much that she could do really, or anyone for that matter.

Vader182 wrote:Here's muh review http://themetaplex.com/reviews/2014/div ... vie-review

sorry red, I didn't really like it. Two of my friends were extras in it (you can see one of them in like 3-4 shots up close), which kinda had me hoping I would.

-Vader
Regarding your review, I don't disagree with it on a technical level, so I won't debate any of the points you make. What I did want to mention though was that when I saw the film on Friday, the audience absolutely loved it. There were various times through out the film that that the audience cheered and clapped, and I could tell they were really invested in the characters and the story. To me, that's the sign of a well written film. People left the theater so happy, discussing how much they enjoyed it and discussing the story itself. When a movie is able to accomplish something like that, I consider it a success. Very rarely does this happen, usually the screen goes to credits and people just leave the theater. This time though, people couldn't even leave their seats, they were to absorbed in what they just saw that they felt the desire to keep talking about it. That's impressive imo. Because at the end of the day, when it comes to writing a film, it's all about the enjoyment of the audience and making them happy, and this film definitely achieved that goal.

Now as for my own personal thoughts? Like Vader, I found a lot of flaws and I was initially pretty disappointed in the film, but as it went on I found myself enjoying it a lot more. Overall I gave it an 8/10.