Divergent (2014)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

As much as I like Shailene, that Theo dude looks so boring and the movie itself just screams I want to be your new Hunger Games but resonates Beautiful Creatures instead, the dialogue is generic, characters are stereotypical... I'm not sure why Kate Winslet wanted to be in this type of movie anyways; if this succeeds on a massive scale, I won't crawl in my whole for couple of days, because who cares right, and there are lots of movies out there, but I have a feeling that my teenage period at least had a goddamn Harry Potter.

Sorry ninja, just my two lazy cents. ;)

I'm just about sick of these pretentious teenage novel adaptions, trying to be the next Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings. The only series that actually succeeded in producing something on a pure quality level was The Hunger Games (Mainly Catching Fire), and The Chronicles of Narnia (Although the third film was dreadful), and the rest are just franchise starter, cringe-worthy dialogue induced films.

I respect your opinions on the recent trend of novel adaptations and this film as it is, but do not compare this science fiction franchise with supernatural/fantastical genres like LotR and Harry Potter. They are different beasts yo.

And why is it so bad that a franchise is aspiring to be as successful as The Hunger Games? If you recognise similar traits between the films (which there are), good; they must be doing something right then.

the_red_ninja wrote:I respect your opinions on the recent trend of novel adaptations and this film as it is, but do not compare this science fiction franchise with supernatural/fantastical genres like LotR and Harry Potter. They are different beasts yo.

And why is it so bad that a franchise is aspiring to be as successful as The Hunger Games? If you recognise similar traits between the films (which there are), good; they must be doing something right then.
I think Blair is merely using those two to emphasise on the type of success (and audience) they aim for. Although I'd completely discard LOTR out of the equation... Harry Potter is the one.

And while I recognise similar traits between THG and Divergent, it's in a distiled form, they're using the shortcuts and the feeling is nothing like THG in the end, in terms of quality. Time will tell and you might end up liking it, but so far - in my opinion - I don't see it.

I don't understand how people can get sick of a type of film. You are under absolutely no obligation to see it, and aren't in the target audience.

ArmandFancypants wrote:I don't understand how people can get sick of a type of film. You are under absolutely no obligation to see it, and aren't in the target audience.
maybe, but when the majority of a certain type of film is what dominates the marketplace, ala the superhero flick, it's easy to see why it might exhaust a person

-Vader

...but you don't have to see it. And you're not actually exerting any effort.

... Marketing.

But all marketing for everything ever is exhausting. Even marketing for films I look forward to is exhausting because there's no such thing as moderation in that industry.