DR1's Forbrydelsen [The Killing]

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
ImageImage

The Killing (Danish: Forbrydelsen, "The crime") is a Danish police procedural television drama series created by Søren Sveistrup and produced by Danmarks Radio. It was first broadcast on the Danish national television channel DR1 on January 7, 2007, and has since been transmitted in a number of other countries worldwide. So far there have been two seasons, with a third and final series currently in production and slated for transmission in late September 2012.

The series is set in a fictional version of Copenhagen police department and revolves around Detective Inspector Sarah Lund (played by Sofie Gråbøl) and her team, with each season following a different murder case day-by-day and a one-hour episode covering twenty-four hours of the investigation. The series is noted for its plot twists, season-long storylines, dark tone and for giving equal emphasis to the story of the murdered victim's family alongside the police investigation. It has also been singled out for the photography of its Danish setting, and for the acting ability of its cast.

The Killing has proved a hit in both Denmark and across the globe, garnering significant critical acclaim in a number of different countries (particularly in the United Kingdom and The Netherlands ) and becoming something of a cult television show. It has received numerous awards and nominations including a BAFTA Award and an International Emmy, and in 2011 a US remake was produced by the American cable network AMC.

Season 1 Trailer:

Last edited by oracle86 on August 22nd, 2012, 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Just started watching Season 1 of this show [the BBC version with hardcoded English subtitles] and I've to agree that the show is as good as the hype, and so much better than the AMC version.

Plus, their end credits theme is so damn good!

I loved this when it was on BBC Four. Both seasons were thoroughly enjoyable TV. If you like it then I recommend Borgen: another Danish TV show that the Beeb showed, although it is a political drama rather than crime one.

A couple of spoiler things regarding the layout of the show rather than the plot:

Series One: it does get bogged down as it progresses and feels like it isn't going anywhere but it's surprisingly easy to stick with during these parts. It is outstanding viewing at times.

Series Two: it's shorter than the first series so it doesn't get bogged down as easily. I didn't enjoy it as much but it's still a wonderful piece of television.

Highland_3 wrote:I loved this when it was on BBC Four. Both seasons were thoroughly enjoyable TV. If you like it then I recommend Borgen: another Danish TV show that the Beeb showed, although it is a political drama rather than crime one.

A couple of spoiler things regarding the layout of the show rather than the plot:

Series One: it does get bogged down as it progresses and feels like it isn't going anywhere but it's surprisingly easy to stick with during these parts. It is outstanding viewing at times.

Series Two: it's shorter than the first series so it doesn't get bogged down as easily. I didn't enjoy it as much but it's still a wonderful piece of television.
Thanks, Highland_3! I've been hearing very good things about Borgen, Wallander [both the Danish as well as the British versions] and the French show Spiral as well from my friends in the UK. Hopefully, I'll try them all out after I finish watching The Killing.

Just finished the first 5 episodes of Season 1 - and it's so frakking good! :-D

Finally finished all 20 episodes of the first season. :twothumbsup:

Season 2, here I come!

If you like season 2, I can inform you that a season 3 is under way..

I have seen alot of open casting calls for extras... They should be about to finish shooting very soon.

Glad to see people digg the danish television... "Danmarks Radio" produces the best danish tv-shows...
My favorit is still "Rejseholdet" (English titel: Unit One)

Maroti wrote:If you like season 2, I can inform you that a season 3 is under way..
Yeah, I heard that the third season will probably be the final season too. Hope it's as good as the other two.

Season 3 starts on November 17. :twothumbsup:

SYNOPSIS:
In the opening episode of the show’s third season, Denmark is in the midst of a fiercely contested election race, set against the backdrop of the financial crisis. With 10 days to go to the election, Detective Chief Inspector Sarah Lund prepares to celebrate her 25th year in the police and looks forward to the prospect of a new job in the force. But her relative peace is shattered when unidentified body parts are found at Copenhagen dock only hours before a scheduled visit by the Prime Minister. The drama series stars Sofie Gråbøl as Sarah Lund, Nikolaj Lie Kaas as Mathias Borch and Morten Suurballe as Lennart Brix

I'm really looking forward to this, I might need to buy a Faroese wool jumper to honour the occasion. My wallet would be significantly lighter but I'd look dashing.

I see Brix is still in it. Pleasing. He's a good character.