The Fifth Estate (2013)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
RIFA wrote:
prince0gotham wrote:but about the internal change of Assange.
which is not really that of a good topic tbh. no one really cares... and many would have taken this movie as a BS politics film to propel assange's image. and at this point... the wikileaks thing is such a joke for many people a movie about this guy would have been terrible. especially if it's just about his internal change or whatever. i want nolan to do stuff more relevant and interesting than this. i'm sure he'll do that.
The themes that could've been tackled in that movie that I spoke about in the other thread are relevant and interesting as hell. And how is internal change not interesting? "The revealer of hypocricy became a hypocrite." never gets old as a motif and arc and always remains relevant, not to mention how relevant it is for TDK, TDKR and the french revolution and its relevance today. It would've had the perfect bridge over from TDKR. How a person like Assange only adds to the whirlwind of reasons for chaos. On top of all that you got everything we wouldn't know to expect from Nolan if he would've made the movie. So no I don't understand you at all. I mean there's tons of ways he could've approached it that aren't mentioned here and you justlikethat think he would do horribly at it?

prince0gotham wrote:The themes that could've been tackled in that movie that I spoke about in the other thread are relevant and interesting as hell.
The issue here is not exactly the theme but the person related to the theme. That makes it not that interesting/relevant.
prince0gotham wrote:And how is internal change not interesting? "The revealer of hypocricy became a hypocrite." never gets old as a motif and arc and always remains relevant
Never gets old yet I really have to look out for a movie developed around this idea that was highly praised by both critics and general moviegoers. Yeah... kinda hard.
prince0gotham wrote:not to mention how relevant it is for TDK, TDKR and the french revolution and its relevance today. It would've had the perfect bridge over from TDKR.
And this is another one of the reason. TDK era is gone. He said it himself. No need for him to share boundaries and tackle similar themes. Not to mention there is no need to create an obvious connection to the themes in TDK.
prince0gotham wrote:How a person like Assange only adds to the whirlwind of reasons for chaos.
Considering the whole pack has been smoked over and over.

Assange is a really antipathetic figure. Nolan making a movie about the dude would have been a not so pleasant decision for his image. It's just bad business prince so let others take the risk of it. I prefer Nolan to do something more suitable than the obvious controversy of this.

Even if Nolan was making the movie it would be hard to say if the movie would've been really about Assange just because he's at the center of the action. His character can stand for countless things.

How is the TDK era gone, its influence and echoes in the world of cinema have just begun... If anything TDK and TDKR can be seen as stepping stones for Nolan into the world of politics in cinema. This movie could've been the new Network/All the president's men/Putney Swope , all depending on the twist and the direction. I know there's not that much artistry in the world of political movies but imagine what Nolan could do with that as an extension of his previous work. Especially Prestige, with the whole showmanship angle to 'magic'. There's more than enough options here than to decide the whole thing would be a bad idea straight away.
Never gets old yet I really have to look out for a movie developed around this idea that was highly praised by both critics and general moviegoers. Yeah... kinda hard.
But here you're still assuming that Nolan's take on that topic and figure would be nothing new and nothing interesting. How is that possible? I mean you're saying that just because it's done a lot of times it can't be interesting, let alone interesting if done by Nolan? Since when do we not care what he has to say about something or do with a certain genre?

To be honest he could've been doing Mickey Mouse and I'd still be interested just because I know he always has some kind of great plan.

prince just... let it go.

i'm not saying a Nolan film on Assange would not turn out to be great. never said that. only said that i'm not interested and the general consensus is that the majority will not be that interested for multiple reasons.

I also mentioned that it would simply be a bad business for Nolan atm. and since filmmaking is also a business... draw your own conclusions.

lets hope this does not turn out to be an anti-whistleblower, pro-establishment, pro-corporation film because that's exactly what assange is trying to fight against.

Not much interest in this film with Ben-Cum as the lead.

Although it’s been going under Untiled WikiLeaks Project for quite some time, producers have finally gone with a tentative title for their upcoming Julian Assange drama. According to sources, they’ll be using The Man Who Sold the World as they head into a January production — no relation to the David Bowie song.

Led by Benedict Cumberbatch in the main role, we’ve also got word from Variety that Downton Abbey star Dan Stevens has joined the cast that follows the WikiLeaks founder. Stevens will play a hacker who is close friends with Daniel Domscheit-Berg, portrayed by Inglourious Basterds star Daniel Bruhl. Swedish starlet Alicia Vikander (Anna Karenina, A Royal Affair) also recently joined the cast.

The Man Who Sold the World is being helmed for DreamWorks by Bill Condon, director of The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Parts 1 & 2 and veteran television writer Josh Singer (The West Wing, Fringe) adapts the screenplay from the two books, Inside WikiLeaks: My Time with Julian Assange at the World’s Most Dangerous Website by Daniel Domscheit-Berg, as well as David Leigh and Luke Harding’s WIkiLeaks: Inside Julian Assange’s War on Secrecy.

The film will focus on Assange and the setting up of WilkiLeaks, as the non-profit organization came to be in 2006 and has gone onto leak a significant number of anonymous, corporate and government documents from around the world to the public. In February of 2010 WikiLeaks had its well-known “Cablegate,” a U.S. diplomatic cables leak that would become the organization’s undoing. Assange, currently seeking asylum at the Ecuadorian embassy on London, will give a public Christmas speech tonight from the embassy at 19:00 GMT.
http://thefilmstage.com/news/title-reve ... tar-joins/

Dream-Xtractor wrote:
Although it’s been going under Untiled WikiLeaks Project for quite some time, producers have finally gone with a tentative title for their upcoming Julian Assange drama. According to sources, they’ll be using The Man Who Sold the World as they head into a January production — no relation to the David Bowie song.

Led by Benedict Cumberbatch in the main role, we’ve also got word from Variety that Downton Abbey star Dan Stevens has joined the cast that follows the WikiLeaks founder. Stevens will play a hacker who is close friends with Daniel Domscheit-Berg, portrayed by Inglourious Basterds star Daniel Bruhl. Swedish starlet Alicia Vikander (Anna Karenina, A Royal Affair) also recently joined the cast.

The Man Who Sold the World is being helmed for DreamWorks by Bill Condon, director of The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Parts 1 & 2 and veteran television writer Josh Singer (The West Wing, Fringe) adapts the screenplay from the two books, Inside WikiLeaks: My Time with Julian Assange at the World’s Most Dangerous Website by Daniel Domscheit-Berg, as well as David Leigh and Luke Harding’s WIkiLeaks: Inside Julian Assange’s War on Secrecy.

The film will focus on Assange and the setting up of WilkiLeaks, as the non-profit organization came to be in 2006 and has gone onto leak a significant number of anonymous, corporate and government documents from around the world to the public. In February of 2010 WikiLeaks had its well-known “Cablegate,” a U.S. diplomatic cables leak that would become the organization’s undoing. Assange, currently seeking asylum at the Ecuadorian embassy on London, will give a public Christmas speech tonight from the embassy at 19:00 GMT.
http://thefilmstage.com/news/title-reve ... tar-joins/
oh god :facepalm:
gib sigs