Top 10 Films of 2012

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I haven't yet seen Les Miserables, Argo, The Master and The Hobbit, and this list is so hard to make already...
There will be so many movies I love left out of my top 10 :(

Alberto wrote:I haven't yet seen Les Miserables, Argo, The Master and The Hobbit, and this list is so hard to make already...

Well take your time, there's no prerequisite on when this list is "due." I'd watch many of those films if I were you before posting a definitive list.

Skyab23 wrote:
Alberto wrote:I haven't yet seen Les Miserables, Argo, The Master and The Hobbit, and this list is so hard to make already...

Well take your time, there's no prerequisite on when this list is "due." I'd watch many of those films if I were you before posting a definitive list.
Besides the ones listed above, with the exception of Argo, which I've just seen, I believe I watched every important film released in 2012.

Final List

I'm probably not gonna get a chance to see The Master soon enough, so here's what I have:

1. TDKR
2. Skyfall
3. Cloud Atlas
4. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
5. Django Unchained
6. Les Miserables
7. Silver Linings Playbook
8. Zero Dark Thirty
9. Moonrise Kingdom
10. Prometheus

I tried fitting Les Mis, SLP and ZDT in higher spots, but I realized that my top 5 simply cannot be touched. This does not mean that, for example, I think Zero Dark Thirty is not great compared to TDKR. In fact the gap between each film on this list is quite small, all of these get at least an 8 or higher, and I listed them in order of how much I enjoyed them, how much I think about and analyze them, and how much I want to see them again after each viewing.

Yeah it's very subjective, but whatever.
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.

Top 10 Films of 2012

1. Silver Linings Playbook: A

Director David O’Russell’s follow up to the successful boxing drama “The Fighter,” SLP is not only a better film but arguably the best ensemble casted film of the year. Cooper provides his finest work to date as a bipolar man who is attempting to piece back together his life after leaving a mental institution. Jennifer Lawrence is phenomenal in her role as well. And perhaps the most surprising of the cast, Robert DeNiro turns in his finest performance in recent history as Cooper’s father, an OCD fan of the football team the Philadelphia Eagles. This is a must see film that blends drama and comedy seamlessly and I cannot praise it enough.

2. Zero Dark Thirty: A

One of the most talked about, highly anticipated, and controversial films of the year is nothing short of what the critics have said: intense, well-acted, fascinating, and yes, controversial. Bigelow's direction in this film is first-rate and after seeing the film, it's a shame she didn't get nominated. I thought the film did a great job at showing the environment of various Middle Eastern countries, and I was never short of attentive during the duration of the film. The last hour of the film is more singularly focused on identifying the man who is at a mysteriously well guarded compound in Pakistan. Needless to say, as countless others have already stated, the raid is an amazing sequence.
A great, riveting, procedural film that is more tense and suspenseful than many have let on, Zero Dark Thirty not only deserves the praise, but in many ways it surpasses it.

3. The Grey: B+

Perhaps the most divisive film of 2012, with moviegoers either loving or hating it, The Grey on the surfaces appears as just another man vs nature and survival film, but if one will take a closer look they’ll uncover a movie filled with a myriad of surprisingly deep and philosophical messages about life and death. Death is a certainty and it waits for no one, but the more imminent it seems the more likely we are to fight for our lives and reflect on just how precious and fragile they are. Even the title of the film itself can be interpreted as having a deeper meaning; that life isn’t about the black and white, but about the moments in the middle, the grey if you will, that make life worth living. Overall, The Grey is a beautiful, frightening, poetic and uncharacteristically philosophical film about the mortality of us all.

4. Skyfall: B+

One of the better Bond films of all time, we get another great turn from Daniel Craig, a memorable villain in Javier Bardem, a touching performance from Judi Dench, and great cinematography from Deakins. We have director Sam Mendes to thank for this and the future of the Bond franchise has never looked so bright.

5. The Perks of Being a Wallflower: B+

A film that all of us can relate to. It’s a film centered around high school, sure. But it’s about friendships, love, and finding ourselves. So many great, memorable and quotable moments in this film…and standout performances from Logan Lerman and Ezra Miller.

6. Django Unchained: --B+

A film that takes every cliché in the book and embellishes them and in many ways embraces them. Tarantino continues his string of films that are near masterpieces with Django Unchained, one of the best ensemble casts of the year. I was most impressed with Leo Dicaprio’s role as Calvin Candie, the plantation owner of “Candyland.” But Waltz, Foxx and Jackson all deliver fine performances and this is a more than worthy entry into the filmography of Tarantino.

7. Les Miserables: ---B+

Yes, it’s over the top and flamboyant at times, pushing a message and emotional cause in the face of the audience, but it’s also sincere and well performed. This was one of the more “emotional films” of the year that I saw, a film spanning many years, with various characters being introduced. Hugh Jackman gives a standout performance and rightfully deserved his acting nomination. Same for Hathaway, who gives a short but extremely important and memorable performance.

8. Looper: ---B+

Perhaps the most unique film of the year, Looper is one of the best sci-fi films of the 21st century, with JGL giving a mesmerizing performance. At times, the pacing is a bit odd, and the cinematography doesn’t exactly “wow you,” but the concept is fresh, the performances are bold, and the ending will stay with you long after you leave the theater.

9. Argo: ---B+

A film with political and historical implications concerning Iran and the United States, Affleck gives his most mature directorial effort of his now 3 films, even if it may not be his most entertaining. When you know the outcome of a film, yet it still makes you tense and hopeful for the participants involved, you're doing something right. After this film, Affleck has officially deserved the right to be named alongside the best directors of today.

10. The Hobbit: ---B

Peter Jackson’s return to Middle Earth is a welcome return, even if it isn’t as profound or “epic” a tale as the LOTR trilogy. After all, how could it be? The latter is about the total control of Middle Earth, with all forces from humans, to dwarves to hobbits participating. The Hobbit is about the battle to reclaim dwarf territory. Not nearly as consequential. But the visuals are still mesmerizing, the return to the Shire is still heartwarming, and we get a chance to see one of the more memorable characters in film history, Gandalf the Grey. That’s enough to make it onto my Top 10 list of the year.
Last edited by Skyab23 on January 12th, 2013, 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skyab23 wrote:Top 10 Films of 2012

Director David O’Russell’s follow up to the successful boxing drama “The Fighter,” SLP is not only a better film but arguably the best ensemble casted film of the year. Cooper provides his finest work to date as a bipolar man who is attempting to piece back together his life after leaving a mental institution. Jennifer Lawrence is phenomenal in her role as well. And perhaps the most surprising of the cast, Robert DeNiro turns in his finest performance in recent history as Cooper’s father, an OCD fan of the football team the Philadelphia Eagles. This is a must see film that blends drama and comedy seamlessly and I cannot praise it enough.

One of the most talked about, highly anticipated, and controversial films of the year is nothing short of what the critics have said: intense, well-acted, fascinating, and yes, controversial. Bigelow's direction in this film is first-rate and after seeing the film, it's a shame she didn't get nominated. I thought the film did a great job at showing the environment of various Middle Eastern countries, and I was never short of attentive during the duration of the film. The last hour of the film is more singularly focused on identifying the man who is at a mysteriously well guarded compound in Pakistan. Needless to say, as countless others have already stated, the raid is an amazing sequence.
A great, riveting, procedural film that is more tense and suspenseful than many have let on, Zero Dark Thirty not only deserves the praise, but in many ways it surpasses it.

Perhaps the most divisive film of 2012, with moviegoers either loving or hating it, The Grey on the surfaces appears as just another man vs nature and survival film, but if one will take a closer look they’ll uncover a movie filled with a myriad of surprisingly deep and philosophical messages about life and death. Death is a certainty and it waits for no one, but the more imminent it seems the more likely we are to fight for our lives and reflect on just how precious and fragile they are. Even the title of the film itself can be interpreted as having a deeper meaning; that life isn’t about the black and white, but about the moments in the middle, the grey if you will, that make life worth living. Overall, The Grey is a beautiful, frightening, poetic and uncharacteristically philosophical film about the mortality of us all.

One of the better Bond films of all time, we get another great turn from Daniel Craig, a memorable villain in Javier Bardem, a touching performance from Judi Dench, and great cinematography from Deakins. We have director Sam Mendes to thank for this and the future of the Bond franchise has never looked so bright.

A film that all of us can relate to. It’s a film centered around high school, sure. But it’s about friendships, love, and finding ourselves. So many great, memorable and quotable moments in this film…and standout performances from Logan Lerman and Ezra Miller.

A film that takes every cliché in the book and embellishes them and in many ways embraces them. Tarantino continues his string of films that are near masterpieces with Django Unchained, one of the best ensemble casts of the year. I was most impressed with Leo Dicaprio’s role as Calvin Candie, the plantation owner of “Candyland.” But Waltz, Foxx and Jackson all deliver fine performances and this is a more than worthy entry into the filmography of Tarantino.

Yes, it’s over the top and flamboyant at times, pushing a message and emotional cause in the face of the audience, but it’s also sincere and well performed. This was one of the more “emotional films” of the year that I saw, a film spanning many years, with various characters being introduced. Hugh Jackman gives a standout performance and rightfully deserved his acting nomination. Same for Hathaway, who gives a short but extremely important and memorable performance.

Perhaps the most unique film of the year, Looper is one of the best sci-fi films of the 21st century, with JGL giving a mesmerizing performance. At times, the pacing is a bit odd, and the cinematography doesn’t exactly “wow you,” but the concept is fresh, the performances are bold, and the ending will stay with you long after you leave the theater.

A film with political and historical implications concerning Iran and the United States, Affleck gives his most mature directorial effort of his now 3 films, even if it may not be his most entertaining. When you know the outcome of a film, yet it still makes you tense and hopeful for the participants involved. After this film, Affleck has officially deserved the right to be named alongside the best directors of today.

Peter Jackson’s return to Middle Earth is a welcome return, even if it isn’t as profound or “epic” a tale as the LOTR trilogy. After all, how could it be? The latter is about the total control of Middle Earth, with all forces from humans, to dwarves to hobbits participating. The Hobbit is about the battle to reclaim dwarf territory. Not nearly as consequential. But the visuals are still mesmerizing, the return to the Shire is still heartwarming, and we get a chance to see one of the more memorable characters in film history, Gandalf the Grey. That’s enough to make it onto my Top 10 list of the year.
Nice explanations, really enjoyed reading them. Glad you loved Leo so much as Candie and JGL so much in Looper.

A film with political and historical implications concerning Iran and the United States, Affleck gives his most mature directorial effort of his now 3 films, even if it may not be his most entertaining. When you know the outcome of a film, yet it still makes you tense and hopeful for the participants involved, you're doing something right. After this film, Affleck has officially deserved the right to be named alongside the best directors of today.

lol

Crazy Eight wrote:

lol
TDKR not even being in the top 10 is criminal.

JAWS_Fan17 wrote:
Crazy Eight wrote:
lol
TDKR not even being in the top 10 is criminal.

agree

SLPB ftw yall
Why you lurking my page brah?