Top 10 Films of 2012

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
George wrote:Still so much I need to see, but my thoughts for now:

1. The Grey
2. The Master
3. 21 Jump Street
4. The Loved Ones
5. The Dark Knight Rises
6. Lincoln
7. Cloud Atlas
8. Prometheus
9. Skyfall
10. Argo
Nice list...

My top 3 at the moment

1. Silver Linings Playbook
2. TDKR
3. Argo

Only got 2 more to see for the rest of the year that I would imagine would make the list.

Zero Dark Thirty
Django Unchained

lindegaard wrote:1) The Dark Knight Rises
2) Skyfall
3) Looper
4) Django Unchained
5) Lawless
6) Premium Rush
7) Lincoln
8) The Perks of being a Wallflower
9) The Gray
10) Killer Joe
Premium Rush over Lincoln and The Perks of Being a Wallflower? Really? :problem:

1. The Master
2. The Grey
3. Moonrise Kingdom
4. Looper
5. The Avengers
6. Perks of Being a Wallflower
7. Argo
8. Skyfall
9. The Cabin in the Woods
10. Lincoln

Still really need to see Zero Dark Thirty, Django Unchained, Life of Pi, and Beasts of the Southern Wild.

I like seeing The Grey in numerous ppls' lists...a few people on here chastised me when I included among my favorites of the year. Although I'm waiting to see a few more films before I make my top 10 list (Zero Dark Thirty, Djanago Unchained, The Hobbit, Les Mis), I will say, thus far, my favorite film of the year is Silver Linings Playbook.

21 Jump Street was fucking great. Most comedies suck now. It's sad.
Say Girl

The thing about 21 Jump Street is... it was buddy-buddy comedy done properly, which doesn't happen these days, a lot. So of course it'd be overrated at the same time, something normal gets recognized as something abnormal, and better than it actually is. I gave it four stars (out of five) cause there's no competition. Comedy these days... that's Hangover II. :|

m4st4 wrote:The thing about 21 Jump Street is... it was buddy-buddy comedy done properly, which doesn't happen these days, a lot. So of course it'd be overrated at the same time, something normal gets recognized as something abnormal, and better than it actually is. I gave it four stars (out of five) cause there's no competition. Comedy these days... that's Hangover II. :|
It's sad too. I was watching Tommy Boy this weekend. Every time I watch it I think about how much better it is then almost every comedy in the what 10-15 years.

Just to give you an idea of what I think is funny my top three are

1. Dumb and Dumber
2. Tommy Boy
3. tough one.. Half Baked
Say Girl

Redsmile wrote:
m4st4 wrote:The thing about 21 Jump Street is... it was buddy-buddy comedy done properly, which doesn't happen these days, a lot. So of course it'd be overrated at the same time, something normal gets recognized as something abnormal, and better than it actually is. I gave it four stars (out of five) cause there's no competition. Comedy these days... that's Hangover II. :|
It's sad too. I was watching Tommy Boy this weekend. Every time I watch it I think about how much better it is then almost every comedy in the what 10-15 years.

Just to give you an idea of what I think is funny my top three are

1. Dumb and Dumber
2. Tommy Boy
3. tough one.. Half Baked
I don't think those 3 movies you just named are anywhere near the top comedies of recent history. They're not smartly done comedy, they're more slap-stick comedy. Dumb and Dumber (which is one of the few slap-stick comedies I do like) is 63% on Rotten Tomatoes; Tommy Boy is 45%, and Half Baked is 29%. Not exactly glowing reviews and they're not exactly considered great comedies. In my opinion, comedies are done best when they're funny, somewhat original and when they don't insult your intelligence.

My favorite comedies are:

Groundhog Day
Forgetting Sarah Marshall
40 Year Old Virgin

Those were the ones I grew up with. I don't look at ratings when it comes to comedy. Half Baked is terrible in the eyes of critics but I have yet to meet someone who didn't think it was at least somewhat funny. Tommy Boy as well.

Those movies you listed are great as well but... It's the stuff I watched as a kid that makes me laugh the most. I didn't see Groundhog day till I was alittle older.

So far this year I can only think of one comedy done right and that is 21 Jump Street. The Campaign made me laugh but I can't remember anything about it.
Say Girl