Your Favorite Books

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
SilverHeart wrote:I've considered picking up the Wheel of Time series. Anyone who's read it to recommend it?
It's great, but be prepared to read a lot of books. ;)

I've always considered Robert Jordan to be the finest of the Tolkien imitators out there. Wheel of Time may not be as unique or genre-defining as George R R Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire, it's a damn fine series [classic, old school fantasy] in its own right. Have fun! :thumbup:

one day

shadow123 wrote:one day
saw the movie , bought the book, but I could persuade myself to read it :P

Robert Jordan died before he could finish his series, that why I can't touch it. Also 14 books and counting I assume

JohnConstantine wrote:Robert Jordan died before he could finish his series, that why I can't touch it. Also 14 books and counting I assume
But fortunately he had left a lot of notes for the remaining 3 volumes and Brandon Sanderson has done an excellent job in writing them out, atleast so far [two are out already, the final volume will be released this year].

Author: Andrew Davidson

A beautiful and compelling, but clearly unhinged, sculptress of gargoyles by the name of Marianne Engel appears at the foot of his bed and insists that they were once lovers in medieval Germany. In her telling, he was a badly injured mercenary and she was a nun and scribe in the famed monastery of Engelthal who nursed him back to health. As she spins their tale in Scheherazade fashion and relates equally mesmerizing stories of deathless love in Japan, Iceland, Italy, and England, he finds himself drawn back to life—and, finally, in love.

I don't really feel right with people finishing of later volumes of work because the author died. It's uncomfortable tome and regardless of the author's intent, it betrays the prose in a way. Unless the prose sucks and reads like a particularly detailed history text, then it makes sense to take over.

I like of leave Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy as a 4 part series. Mostly Harmless really didn't seem necessary or the one afterwards.
Do you... like pineapple?

jibran wrote:I don't really feel right with people finishing of later volumes of work because the author died. It's uncomfortable tome and regardless of the author's intent, it betrays the prose in a way. Unless the prose sucks and reads like a particularly detailed history text, then it makes sense to take over.

I like of leave Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy as a 4 part series. Mostly Harmless really didn't seem necessary or the one afterwards.
Unless its the GWTDT Series. We need a fourth! Stieg wrote about 200-300 pages of it, now someone just needs to fill in the blanks.

xWhereAmI? wrote:
jibran wrote:I don't really feel right with people finishing of later volumes of work because the author died. It's uncomfortable tome and regardless of the author's intent, it betrays the prose in a way. Unless the prose sucks and reads like a particularly detailed history text, then it makes sense to take over.

Unless its the GWTDT Series. We need a fourth! Stieg wrote about 200-300 pages of it, now someone just needs to fill in the blanks.
I somewhat agree with this. I'd love to see another Salander novel, but I feel it just won't be the same unless Larson is writing ALL of it. And the ending to TGWKTHN really didn't beg for another novel, let's be honest.

Does anyone have any book recommendations that are particularly good as audiobooks?

Allstar wrote:
September 14th, 2020, 3:40 pm
Does anyone have any book recommendations that are particularly good as audiobooks?
depends what you like i guess

American Gods is one of the best audiobooks, although I don't love Gaiman

If you wanna try Murakami, The Wind Up Bird Chronicle is a great audiobook.

Need more to work with.

-Vader