Your Favorite Books

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
ajm
1. Anything by Elmore Leonard
2. Falling - Christopher Pike
3. No time for goodbye - Linwood Barclay
4. Anything by Harlan Coben & James Patterson
5. The Manhattan Hunt Club - John Saul

Currently reading Digital Fortress by Dan Brown and it's looking like it'll make the list.

-Every single line E.A. Poe had written
-The Catcher in the rye by J.D. Salinger
-Animal Farm and 1984 by George Orwell
-The strange case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by R.L.B. Stevenson
-The invention of Morel by Adolfo Bioy Casares
-Fictions by Jorge Luis Borges
-Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk
-Our mutual friend by Charles Dickens
-The man who was thursday by G.K. Chesterton

Fight Club - Chuck Palahniuk (I have all of his books on my kindle, I just need to start reading them lol)

The Road - Cormac McCarthy

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson (MY FAVORITE BOOK I HAVE READ)

Of Mice And Men - John Steinbeck

Horns - Joe Hill

The Invisible Man - HG Wells

Alberto wrote:The Godfather - Mario Puzo
You know, I didn't love that one. Maybe it's because I saw the movie first and I thought it was a real self-contained masterpiece. But the book didn't win me over. A decent read though. I lost interest in some parts and the characters felt a lot weaker than they were in the film. My father actually read it before the movie came out when he was quite young, he likes the book just as much.
Do you... like pineapple?

I've considered picking up the Wheel of Time series. Anyone who's read it to recommend it?

The Lineages and Histories of the Great Houses of the Seven Kingdoms

There are many, but my absolute favorite is Joy Williams' The Quick and the Dead (no, nothing to do with the Sam Raimi film). Nominally it's about three teenage girls - acid-tongued eco-warrior Alice, grief-stricken orphan Corvus and shallow rich girl Annabel - drifting through summer in a desert town, but it's not really about that at all: it's actually about The Big Themes, life and death and the sometimes malleable divisions between the two, ghosts and madness, signs and symbols. It's an absolute goddamn masterpiece, is what I'm saying.

My second favorite: Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast Trilogy (fine, that's technically three books, but I read 'em in one volume, so nyaaah). There's really no way to even begin summing this one up: it's a bizarre, grotesque Gothic fantasia, the anti-Tolkien, High Fantasy with no magic whatsoever, only some of the strangest and most memorable characters you'll ever encounter and a prose style that goes beyond ornate into pure surrealism.

And, last but not least, my favorite author is Joyce Carol Oates, who has written such an insane number of books and stories that it's probably easier to just count her entire oeuvre as one thing, but her most famous work is probably the much-anthologized short story "Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?", which is brilliant and chilling and can be read here: http://www.usfca.edu/jco/whereareyougoing/

Favourite short story collection is probably Strange Pilgrims by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Possibly followed by Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman by Haruki Murakami. I prefer Murakami's short stories to his novels.
I could never give a proper list of my favourite books. There's just so much- and so much which I've forgotten about (which sounds bad but it happens a fair bit too me). Favourite novel is probably Slaughterhouse 5 though.
Do you... like pineapple?

Matthew Reilly's books.
Skulduggery Pleasant series.

A Tale of Two Cities remains amongst my favorite works of literature ever. The Sherlock Holmes stories, as well. I love some key Philip K. Dick stuff too. C.S. Lewis, you know. The usuals I guess.

I'm a sucker for Picture of Dorian Gray.

I really love British literature, lol.

-Vader