Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I totally understand why this movie sounds pretty outlandish to some. But TA has proven that its at least possible to pull off.

If, hypothetically, Brad Bird directed it and Whedon wrote the script, with a huge budget and WETA/ILM doing the effects, it definitely could work. Even with a walking, talking, BFG toting Raccoon.

Its a ballsy move by Marvel to green light a project like this, and I applaud them for it. There were several safer options. If its a JC-level disaster, Ill be the first one to say it was a mistake.

didich wrote:
FirelordSylar wrote:

Oddly enough, Rocket Raccoon tends to be everybody's favorite character of the group.
Really? Wow, that's interesting to know, at the very least. On the other side, it also depends on the characterization, the design looks weird compared to his companions, but if they get someone to write/play him well anything is possible.

I don't know, if Cameron was able to make 2 billion dollars out of Giant Cat-Smurfs anything is tolerable, I think. :lol:
Well, you've got to consider this isn't just a space raccoon. It's a space raccoon in apparently a Cockney accent that wields rail guns.

SilverHeart wrote:
didich wrote:
Really? Wow, that's interesting to know, at the very least. On the other side, it also depends on the characterization, the design looks weird compared to his companions, but if they get someone to write/play him well anything is possible.

I don't know, if Cameron was able to make 2 billion dollars out of Giant Cat-Smurfs anything is tolerable, I think. :lol:
Well, you've got to consider this isn't just a space raccoon. It's a space raccoon in apparently a Cockney accent that wields rail guns.

Exactly, there is no way that WON'T work. It's pure genius.

I'm not even being sarcastic, I'm actually pretty stoked.

The Ent looks pretty epic. But the rat is annoying.

People here are greatly underestimating Rocket Raccoon.

Of course Rocket could work. But it will take lots of money and groundbreaking work by Weta/ILM and perfect voice casting.

Guardians of the Galaxy to be rewritten by three-time 'Black List' writer Christopher McCoy.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... vel-357868

Just for note, it's not that kind of black list:

The Black List is a survey published every year on the second Friday of December since 2004 by Franklin Leonard, a development executive who as of 2012 works for Will Smith's Overbrook Entertainment. The survey includes the top motion picture screenplays not yet produced. The website states that these are not necessarily "the best" screenplays, but rather "the most liked", since it is based on a survey of studio and production company executives.
The Black List has included a substantial number of screenplays that were later put into production,including successful and award-winning examples such as Lars and the Real Girl, Juno, The King's Speech, Slumdog Millionaire, and 50/50. In addition, writers whose scripts are listed often find that they are more readily hired for other jobs, even if their listed screenplays still haven't been produced, such as Jim Rash and Nat Faxon, two of the writers of the Oscar-winning screenplay of The Descendants, who had an earlier screenplay make the list. On the other hand, Slate columnist David Haglund has written that the list's reputation as a champion for "beloved but challenging" works has been overstated, since "these are screenplays that are already making the Hollywood rounds. And while, as a rule, they have not yet been produced, many of them are already in production."

Never heard of the Black List. Thanks for the info.

James Gunn (Slither, Super) is in talks to direct
Marvel Studios has a track record of picking unlikely directors for their giant tentpole projects, but they may have just outdone themselves. James Gunn, the indie filmmaker whose last movie was the dark anti-superhero movie Super, is apparently the studio's top choice to direct Guardians of the Galaxy, the upcoming space drama that's a key part of "phase two" of the studio's development.

Announced at Comic Con last month, Guardians of the Galaxy is set for release August 1, 2014, which gives them not a lot of time to put together a CGI-heavy film set in space that features a machine-gun-wielding raccoon as one of its characters. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Marvel is considering several other unlikely choices if talks with Gunn don't work out-- they're also eyeing Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck, the indie filmmakers behind projects like Half-Nelson and It's Kind Of A Funny Story, and Peyton Reed, most famous for directing Bring It On. If they had simply thrown darts at a board covered with every director currently alive, I don't think they could have come up with a more seemingly random list.

But that's kind of the magic of the Marvel films so far, which have brought in unlikely choices-- like Kenneth Branagh for Thor, or especially Joss Whedon for The Avengers-- and made them pay off in spadea. Marvel is also famous for refusing to pay top dollar for talent, and Gunn-- whose debut film Slither made $7.8 million total, and whose Super topped out at $327,716 theatrically-- surely can't demand a giant paycheck. We'll see if talks pan out, but Gunn's participation could take Guardians of the Galaxy from what looked like an oddball also-ran Marvel movie to something potentially fascinating, dark and unlike anything else they've made.
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Marvel-E ... 32552.html

Good unconventional choice, he won't be afraid to take risks. He has a similar sensibility to Whedon so it is a logical fit.