The Banshees of Inisheer (2022)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Allstar wrote:
June 20th, 2021, 6:21 pm
Robert Pattinson has joined the cast. :twothumbsup:
Great!!

McDonagh has a weird faible for midget characters. Waiting for Peter Dinklage confirmation.

Allstar wrote:
Update* He’s been replaced by Barry Keoghan.

Nice upgrade! 8-)

Ace

Ace

Didn’t love the trailer but I know it’ll probably be fuckin awesome. In Bruges is one of the best films of all time.

Now this was an emotional punch to the gut. I think the historical backdrop worked better than the historical parallel that emerged towards the end, but all in all this has got to be McDonagh's neatest, simplest and most powerful film. The music itself is heartbreakingly beautiful (I think the opening sequence will burn into my memory for a long time - quite the way to set the mood for a film!), the scenery is so over-the-top amazing that it's almost too beautiful to be true, and the performances are stellar. Barry Keoghan especially is devastating in the role. As I said, it might be just a tad "bit too much on the nose" towards the end, but I don't mind. This was just utterly... sad and heartbreaking for several reasons. The most striking and most clever moment concerns Barry Keoghan's last appearance, that was when I had uttered a huge "oh gosh", it kind of all fell in place.

Obviously, you could pick much more gutwrenching and devastating stories, as this is merely an absurd, McDonagh-like fable. Still, it was so humane, simple and true that I couldn't help but feel upset after it. In Bruges was - and still is - laugh-out-loud hilarious while being very serious and heartbreaking, Banshees on the other hand is quite less aimed at being humorous. But it doesn't hurt it, oh no, quite the contrary.

Allstar wrote:
July 15th, 2021, 9:32 pm
Allstar wrote:
Update* He’s been replaced by Barry Keoghan.

Nice upgrade! 8-)
Loved Keoghan in this, but every once in a while I was thinking "hmm, what if it was Pattinson doing this...?" during the movie.

No, Pattinson looks too much like a model to feel this pathetic.