⊃∪∩⪽ ρ⩀⊇⊤ ⊙∩⋵ (2021)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Nice insight, and I agree. There's another idea I just cannot let go of ever since I saw it (twice): I feel that, in a way, Brolin was miscast. And I also feel that if I was an omnipotent god, I would switch the roles of Brolin and Bautista.

I'm not an ancient Dune fan, but I really enjoyed the book when I first read it two years ago. And to me Brolin just isn't what Gurney felt like in the novel - and I realized that it is because, to me, Brolin might be just too "intellectual" in looks, whereas Bautista feels wasted (again) as this mindless brute. But when I think of BR2049, he was soooo so good in that opening scene as that huge mass of muscle coupled with those scientific looking glasses and sophisticated taste. It feels like Brolin was the easy choice for Gurney, and Bautista was the easy choice for Rabban, but I really wished they were cast as the opposite characters.

But these are just aimless thoughts, obviously. Still, I wonder what you are thinking.

Vader182 wrote:
December 7th, 2021, 4:12 pm
Michaelf2225 wrote:
December 7th, 2021, 3:43 pm
got to see this in IMAX the other day (I guess they brought it back?) and I mostly loved it

however, most of the action, especially
the last fight scene
really sucked. it feels like Nolan directed action during the Begins era

like,
you mean to tell me that Paul has to kill a person for the first time in his life and the movie does nothing to make it feel emotional? infuriating
I would say most of the vehicular action ruled hard, and the first practice duel between Gurney and Paul is very good. However, most of close quarters action otherwise is not well directed.

I felt how new Villeneuve was to it. His angles obscure the (sometimes iffy) choreography, the editing cuts away from the big "battle" moments quickly, and the final action scene is indeed very bad. It's not cinematic in light or composition, the handheld camera is sloppy, and he clumsily cuts between a multi-camera setup. It honestly looks like coverage shot by a second unit. Dune is the first DV to shoot with not only a second unit, but frequently with at least two camera setups, and unfortunately it's felt the most in the climax.

Dune rocked hard overall, but it isn't the first half of a big masterpiece.

-Vader
yeah, I agree with that.

and I actually think the choreography is pretty good. it's certainly better than the choreography Nolan employed in TDKR from a technical standpoint. but, there's something missing from the direction. it's a mixture of a lot I think - composition, editing, but most of all, I think DV just didn't land the story beats within the fight. in TDKR, you feel every punch that bane throws even when the choreography isn't perfect. I didn't get that here - even in IMAX.

that's all to say that this was still a really good film, and motivated me to read the book (im sorry) that's been sitting on my desk for months. I can't wait for part 2, and hopefully DV learns from his experiences on this one - at least where the CQC is concerned

And also, didn't Ducan said when he fought one of the Fremen he almost died and he never fought anyone like them. He even said "they fight like demons"

...and Paul just pushes the guy and grab his gun, his mother does a backflip and done, she overpowers the other dude.

Ace
Last edited by Ace on December 15th, 2021, 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ace wrote:
December 15th, 2021, 1:09 pm
That's an exciting and unpredictible pair's interview!
And to see this mutual big respect between two incredible artists is always beautiful to see.

It made almost 150 million more than BR2049, with a day and date release on HBO Max and a pandemic. I'm not sure whether this tells us more about how well DUNE did or how a monumental flop BR2049 was (good it's getting a show now... but hopefully 2099 will keep its neo-noir and cyberpunk roots over there instead of going to straight up post-apocalypse mode which 2049 was hinting at)

What's worse is the fact that the high quality torrent for Dune was available even before the release. Maybe Part Two will give us a better indication of how big, Part One could have potentially been.

Not quite relevant, but I'm very excited to (very) possibly hear this and other fantastic music from Hans Zimmer!