⊃∪∩⪽ ρ⩀⊇⊤ ⊙∩⋵ (2021)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
radewart wrote:
October 26th, 2021, 4:00 pm
Yeah, count me in the group that was underwhelmed....it was fine enough, cool production values, I'll watch part two....but found the characters lacking, especially with the great cast and was really tired of all the visions/dreams of Paul's we kept getting...
Same. Overwhelmed visually, but underwhelmed emotionally. I'm still happy there's a part two. I'll see it in theater
(I mean it's still a film with Chalamet, Ferguson and Bardem, but it's not one of my most anticipated film)
Hopefully it will make me appreciate Part 1 more.

I think Denis wanted to make this into one long movie because it seems like the movie doesn't know when to end to stand on its own. The ending scene is fine but the last 30 minutes are meandering. Maybe even earlier. I think once
Duke dies and Paul is exiled.
I would like to watch it as a one long epic, instead of two parts.

Still, it was better than I thought it would be based on the trailers. I actually liked some of the designs and costumes. The film's music was great and Hanz really delivered. I also think they found a nice balance between spectacle, experience and political machinations. The plot set up by the Emperor really felt multilayered and interesting and Baron made for a great menacing villain. Big props for Momoa, Rampling and Ferguson as well. Chalamet was super bland.

Unfrotunatelly, the last act was pretty bad. So much that I was actively trying to stay awake. I hope they make one long cut that would maybe cut a little bit of the third-act desert scenes or mix it up better with whatever the opening sequences of part 2 will be for a better pace.

finally got to see in IMAX ! man Denis never dissapoints does he ?? i loved this movie, and i went in with no real expectations, its cool to see how much of his sci fi sensibilities he carried from Arrival, the techno organic and earthy feeling of everything , its absolutely more Arrival than it is Blade runner, i cant elaborate any further but this was such a cool experience, oh and Greig Fraser is an absolute master, still just shy of what Roger accomplished with 2049 but, beautiful stuff.

I hope the second part is getting shot in IMAX 70mm. I watched both No Time To Die and Dune at CityWalk’s IMAX the NTTD’s IMAX sequences looked so much sharper and better than Dune’s IMAX sequences.

I’m going to watch it again on Thursday.

It just sucks it’ll be out of IMAX after weeks bc of damn Etenals

Holy FUCK. This movie is something else man

AsianVersionOfET wrote:
October 27th, 2021, 9:17 pm
Holy FUCK. This movie is something else man
It’s pure cinema really.

I’ve watched the first 10 minutes of ^ that ^ and it’s amazing. Gonna finish it later

The film lost its momentum towards the end on my first screening, but on second and third I loved it much more. Seeing fourth time tomorrow.

Its available to watch via streaming, but it doesnt interest me to experience it that way. It is pure cinema indeed.

I think Denis did really well with this adaptation. Still prefer BR2049 a bit more tho. Great casting choices. Especially Ferguson :clap:

Saw DUNE in theatres the other day. As a big fan of the series, having read the original six books multiple times, I loved it. Super good time.

The acting and writing were what really sold me. They do such a good job organizing and doling out world-building and ideas. Very well done, and a lot to manage. The acting, with Ferguson being a favorite, was good across the board. Stellan was one sexy beast.

Visual the compositions were fire. But, the color grading still bothered me (only a bit), it was almost monochromatic. While this works, when there is the spice in the air, it really pops. It does make everything look bleached and a bit dull. Also, there were moments that had such a limited range of tone, that they looked ridiculously dark and dim. I have no idea how that will look on a tv.

This has the VFX oscar in the bag.

The hand-to-hand combat scenes were mostly mid shots that were very quickly cut, feeling perfunctory. As much shit as Nolan gets for his hand-to-hand combat scenes, yet...it goes to show that Villeneuve has fewer haters online. No one has mentioned this. I guess neither is going to direct Hong Kong action flick anytime soon.

Zimmer's score was good. It is still fun to get 123music into a tizzy in the Oppenhiemer section, the score is genuinely good. Did anything give me the feeling of his Interstellar, Inception, Dunkirk, Dark Knight, Thin Red Line, Crimson Tide...no.

Overall, can't wait to get the 4k, and cant wait to mainline this part2 and...possibly part3.