Risen From Darkness - Bane fanfic

Have any personal creations relating to Christopher Nolan and his films? Show it off here.
Baniac wrote:
Queen of Hearts wrote: Im liking Hans too:-) What made his character come to you, Baniac? how did you create him? I can definitely see how Bane would want to emulate Hans..plus Hans has tattoos..which made think OOOHH!!! Is your Bane going to have tattoos??! ( please say yes;-)

Poor Bane and Osito.. Im glad he got him back..I find it interesting that minutes before Greyson stepped in Bane was contemplating murder and wondering if he could do it..and then Greyson stepped in, grabbed Osito and Bane immediately pulled out a scapel and had no qualms about trying to slice him:-)

Still very interested in this man who put Bane's mother there. So the person who put his mother there and him is NOT his true father, correct? just wanting to make sure Im understanding it right. Cant wait to read more!! :-)
Correct, the man responsible for Bane's mother being in the pit is not Bane's father.

When it comes to Hans, if you remember in TDKR in the scene(s) where Bruce climbs the shaft with the rope around him, you see a very well-built, shirtless fellow handling the rope . I don't believe he had tattoos. However, in the novelization that man has tattoos, so I combined the two and threw in a bit of the German character from "Gladiator" who fought with Maximus. Loved that guy. :-D

Glad you guys are enjoying the story. Hopefully Braked will have some illustrations for us soon. :twothumbsup:

I do remember that guy! Cant wait for more! Looking forward to your illustrations Braked!

Nine

Hans led Bane to a cell just off the stepwell, two levels below his own cell. Although Bane had walked past these bars countless times, he had never entered. Inside, the space was neat and orderly—a cot, a small table with one chair, a crude piece of furniture with storage drawers against the back wall, and various free weights grouped together opposite the cot. Every day, for as long as Bane could remember, Hans used the battered equipment to maintain his formidable mass.

“Here,” Hans gestured, “sit on the bed and take off your clothes. Wrap yourself in this blanket.”

As Bane obeyed with shivering fingers, Hans started a fire in the nearby earthen brazier. Then he took Bane’s clothes, wrung them out with his powerful hands, and hung them on the bars closest to the brazier. He turned back to Bane, who was now wrapped tightly in the thin blanket and trembling less, and pointed at Osito.

“If you would like, I can set him on top of the brazier so he can dry as well.”

Instinctively wary, Bane hesitated, but when Hans offered a smile of encouragement, Bane allowed himself to relax and nodded his assent. With amazing care, the big man settled Osito face down on the brazier, the toy’s stubby limbs keeping the body from resting directly on the surface of the brazier, a flat area on which food could be cooked. Then Hans sat at the table.

“Did that bastard take something from you?”

“Yes. One of Doctor Assad’s scalpels. He’d loaned it to me.”

Hans nodded, his gray eyes suddenly amused. “For carving the chess pieces.”

“Yes.” Bane scowled slightly, afraid the man was mocking his latest pastime as so many other prisoners had done.

“Assad’s little blade isn’t worth getting killed over. Better off letting them have what they want…for now, until you’re old enough to fight for it.”

Bane drew his bare feet onto the cot, folding his legs and hugging them to his chest under the blanket. He nodded toward the weights. “Maybe you could show me how to use those…so I can be stronger.”

A grin brightened Hans’s chiseled features. “Those are too much for a boy like you. More likely you would hurt yourself.” Just as Bane began to bristle at the remark, Hans continued, “There are other things you can do until you’re big enough to use the weights.”

“What?”

“Push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups; I can help you set a bar in the corner of your cell for the pull-ups. Then there are the stairs; run them instead of just sitting on them, staring up at the sky.” He winked.

“When can I use the weights?”

“We shall see.” He raised a warning finger. “But…everything comes with a price here, ja? You use my weights, what do I get in trade?”

Bane frowned. “What would you want?”

Hans pondered, one meaty hand slowly stroking his chin. At last he said, “Maybe your chess set. Not to keep, but just to play a game or two.”

“You play chess?”

Hans nodded. “When I was a boy.”

“But the chess set isn’t mine; it’s the Vulture’s.”

“For now.”

Bane could tell by the sudden stony quality of Hans’s expression that he would not expound upon his intimation, so Bane simply agreed that when the time came for him to use the weights, he would see what he could do to acquire the chess set for his use.

He stayed with Hans for some time, polishing up on some of the German that he had learned a couple of months ago. At some point the warmth from the brazier worked through the blanket and lulled him into a doze. He awoke some time later, lying on the cot, as warm as he could possibly be in this perpetually clammy and chilled place.

“Your clothes are still damp,” Hans said as he handed them back, “so when you get back to your cell, take them off again until they are drier, ja?”

Bane thanked him, gathered up Osito, and trailed back to his cell.

The Vulture was as he had left him, hunched over the nearly-finished chess board. The man was rubbing soot into some of the squares to contrast with the natural wood squares, for the black paint had been claimed by the chess pieces.

“So,” the Vulture grunted, “you done being mad at me?”

“No,” Bane growled, internally blaming the Vulture for the loss of the doctor’s scalpel since it was the Vulture’s cruel behavior that he driven him to the stepwell.

“Heard a ruckus from out there,” he nodded toward the shaft. “Get yourself in trouble, did you?”

“No.”

The Vulture gave a low, wry laugh. “Then why’s your bear all wet?”

True enough, Osito had not dried as quickly as the clothing. Bane did not respond, however, and instead set Osito on top of his impotent brazier. He worried that the doctor might see him punished for losing the blade, perhaps by having his fuel allotment withheld tomorrow.

“Should have stayed here with me, boy. Saved yourself a wet bear and wet clothes. Don’t want to catch your death of cold like your dear mother, eh?”

Bane scowled to himself and began to undress. He hung the garments on the bars joining his cell with Abrams’s, for the man was gone. Never would he dare to hang anything on the front bars, for someone would steal whatever was there, nor he did not want to display any sort of trust to the Vulture by hanging the wet clothes on his side.

When Bane turned toward the bed to gather a blanket, he found the Vulture’s gaze upon him. As if struck by a fist Bane halted, his breath caught in his throat. For a moment he stood frozen, paralyzed by the awful gleam in the Vulture’s eyes, a stare that did not meet his but instead had locked upon Bane’s body, sliding downward, lingering…

Breaking from the awful spell, Bane snatched up a blanket in which to cloak himself. This broke the Vulture’s distracted concentration, and the man quickly avoided Bane’s eyes, a nervous tongue darting across his lips as he bent low over his work again. But when Bane sat on his bed with his back to the Vulture, he swore that the man’s gaze returned to him, and he fought his protective impulse to face him. He shivered within himself, knew it was not from the cold.

In vain he tried to understand the alarm that the Vulture’s perusal had stirred. Why had the man looked at him in such a strange, predatory way? Oddly enough it reminded Bane of the way other prisoners used to look at his mother, that nearly-salivating, debasing way that made Bane want to claw their eyes out. Though just a boy, he had been old enough for his mother to explain the animal act of procreation, but she had stressed the difference between base sexual desire and the desire of the flesh born of love.

“When you’re free of this place,” she had said in her soft London tones, “you must show yourself a better man than what lives down here. In all ways. You must be master of your mind as well as your body.”

Bane kept his back to the Vulture as he curled up beneath his blankets. His cot—like every cot in the prison except those improved by the prisoners themselves through barter and skill—had no mattress but was made of a simple low wooden frame with spaced, crisscrossed webbing of fabric and leather on which to lie. Bane used his oldest blanket across the webbing in a futile attempt to combat the chill rising up from the stone floor. Thinking about the Vulture’s disturbing examination, Bane tightly closed his eyes and tried to see his mother’s eyes instead, but for a long time—until he drifted to sleep—all he could see was the eerie light that had sparked in the Vulture’s eyes.

Gasp The Vultures a pedo.

Very interested to see where you go with that

Wow that sounds way creepier than I mean it to
Sigs???

Ahh! Love this! My favorite line in this is from his mother I can vision her saying it in her London accent..;-)

“When you’re free of this place,” she had said in her soft London tones, “you must show yourself a better man than what lives down here. In all ways. You must be master of your mind as well as your body.” Bane is definitely going to take that into heart, forever.

As for the Vulture..I agree with Braked's assumptions...he's definitely a pedophile!! I have a feeling we are going to read some VERY interesting things in the future involving Bane growing up and learning to defend himself. I knew something was up with him through his name alone! Wasnt quite thinking a pedophile...but knew he wasnt entirely good.

As far Hans, he seems so far to be a good mentor of sorts. We shall see how their friendship turns out:-)

Surely there are some good people in the PIT..Hans seems decent and nice but in survival mode..he would have to be...but surviving down there is one thing..keeping your sanity and goodness is another, though.

Cant wait to read more! !! Braked let's see some illustrations!! :-)

Queen of Hearts wrote:Ahh! Love this! My favorite line in this is from his mother I can vision her saying it in her London accent..;-)

“When you’re free of this place,” she had said in her soft London tones, “you must show yourself a better man than what lives down here. In all ways. You must be master of your mind as well as your body.” Bane is definitely going to take that into heart, forever.

As for the Vulture..I agree with Braked's assumptions...he's definitely a pedophile!! I have a feeling we are going to read some VERY interesting things in the future involving Bane growing up and learning to defend himself. I knew something was up with him through his name alone! Wasnt quite thinking a pedophile...but knew he wasnt entirely good.

As far Hans, he seems so far to be a good mentor of sorts. We shall see how their friendship turns out:-)

Surely there are some good people in the PIT..Hans seems decent and nice but in survival mode..he would have to be...but surviving down there is one thing..keeping your sanity and goodness is another, though.

IM WORKING ON IT DANG NABBIT
Sigs???

TehBatGetsBraked wrote:
Queen of Hearts wrote:Ahh! Love this! My favorite line in this is from his mother I can vision her saying it in her London accent..;-)

:twothumbsup:

TehBatGetsBraked wrote:

WOOT!:-)

Ten

By the time Bane awoke, his clothes had dried, and the vague light from the shaft had nearly been swallowed by the approach of night. Warily he rolled onto his back to look for the Vulture, but the man’s cell was empty, the chess board under his cot. The drawstring canvas bag that contained the pieces lay on top of the board. He frowned at the thought of never getting to learn the game.

Finally he forced himself to get dressed and go to Doctor Assad’s cell, but the doctor was not there. Relieved, Bane almost allowed himself to return to his cell, but in the end he waited for the man.

“Well, my boy,” Assad said with a small smile when he arrived, “what’s so important that you stand here without your shoes?”

His footwear could not truly be considered shoes; they lacked a hard sole—a simple construction of leather hand-sewn by his mother. Endless growth spurts drove him to scrounge constantly for material with which to replace each pair with an ever-larger version.

“They’re still damp,” Bane mumbled.

“Ah, yes. Your baptismal submersion today.” He chuckled as he unlocked his door and motioned Bane inside. “I heard about it.”

The heat of mortification inflamed Bane’s cheeks.

“I also heard you tried to gut Greyson with my scalpel.”

Bane stared at the cold brazier to which the doctor added charcoal. Quietly Bane said, “He took it from me,” as he sat on the mat in front of the brazier, eyes greedy upon the charcoal, urging it to ignite and take the chill from his feet. “I’m sorry.”

The doctor grunted enigmatically, his lack of reaction troubling Bane for fear of punishment. Assad put all of his concentration into coaxing the charcoal to life, leaving Bane to twist with dread. Several torturous minutes later the doctor finally spoke.

“You should have left the scalpel in your cell.”

Bane started to explain that he had needed the blade to open Osito’s seam, but he caught himself and swallowed the revelation, instead murmuring, “I know.”

“You’re lucky Greyson dropped Osito and not you.” The doctor appeared worn when he went to sit on his cot. “You should spend less time in the stepwell.”

“I’m not afraid of them.” Of course, this was not completely true, but he was unwilling to admit otherwise, to himself or the doctor.

“You should be.”

“Hans is going to show me how to become stronger.”

“A boy cannot have a man’s strength, no matter how many push-ups you do, Bane.”

Bane fell silent. He did not want to hear of more things that he supposedly could not do.

“Don’t worry about the blade. You help me enough to have earned my forgiveness for one foolish moment. But,” he raised a rebuking finger, “I cannot give you another. Besides, it would appear your chess set is finished anyway, yes?”

Bane frowned. “I guess.”

The doctor cocked an eyebrow. “Lost interest already?”

“No.” Bane shrugged, not wanting to discuss the chess set, hoping his cryptic response was enough to get his point across. Almost frantically he searched for an alternative subject to discuss and found himself sharing what the Vulture had said to him about the man responsible for his mother’s imprisonment.

The doctor, however, did not look any more pleased with this topic than he had about Bane’s imprudence at the stepwell, yet Bane pressed onward.

“Mother would never tell me his name. She said she would tell me when I was grown. But now she’s gone.” He watched the doctor’s expression closely and saw the reaction that he had suspected he would see. “You know his name, don’t you?”

“I’ve never spoken it to you,” Assad said almost defensively.

“Yes, but that doesn’t mean you don’t know it. Mother told you not to tell me, didn’t she?”

“She didn’t want you to know because she feared you would try to find him, and that if you did so as a boy you would stand even less chance of survival than if you were an adult.”

“So you do know?”

Assad paced across the cell, stared into the adjoining cell, its inmate currently absent. “Whether I know it or not—”

“You must know it; you told me he’s alive.”

“I can be told of a particular man being alive without knowing his name.”

“I don’t believe you.” Bane stood, his fists clenched as he remembered the Vulture’s baiting words from earlier.

The doctor turned, the skin over his cheekbones tight with sudden tension. “Go back to your cell, Bane.”

“Why won’t you tell me? My mother is dead—”

“I’ve told you why; it’s too dangerous.”

“You’re afraid to tell me because you think I can make the climb.” The trace of a triumphant smile curled the corners of Bane’s lips. “That I can find him.”

Assad’s dark eyes caught the early flare of the charcoal. “I am afraid that you are foolish enough to try the climb. And if the climb does not kill you then your search for that man will. I can’t stop you from the one, but I can keep you from the other.”

Bane held his stare, his fists still balled. Assad’s stubbornness echoed the Vulture’s derision, brought it ringing into his head once again, and in sudden outrage he turned toward the door. Without another word, the doctor unlocked it, and Bane stalked out.

THe plot thickens! :-) Im curious myself to see if Bane will try to make the climb... all this secrecy surrounding his father...I can understand why the doctor doesnt tell him...but at the same time..poor Bane. He truly has nobody ..no family..he has people that seem to somewhat help him..but I dont think he would call any of them true ''friends''..at least not yet. It's hard to call anybody a 'friend' in that place because it's hard to trust people. He doe seem pretty close to the Doctor though..hopefully the Doctor isnt hiding anything else from him.

Cant wait to read more!!! woot!