Was TDK shot in IMAX 3D?

Christopher Nolan's 2008 mega success about Batman's attempts to defeat a criminal mastermind known only as the Joker.
I'm trying to figure out the answer here. I know that Chris used IMAX cameras to film key sequences of the film but I'm trying to find out if there were actual scenes that were filmed in IMAX 3D. I was under the impression that TDK was filmed in 2D and some of it perhaps digitally re-processed into 3D.

no
Imax is the best digital format, like blu-ray for cinemas

#1fan wrote:no
Imax is the best digital format, like blu-ray for cinemas
Um......no.

You need to do some more research on IMAX :D

Sections of the The Dark Knight we're shot with IMAX film cameras.

IMAX 3D is a digital process. Nolan does not like 3D OR Digital Cinematography.

apw

apw

niniendowarrior wrote:I'm trying to figure out the answer here. I know that Chris used IMAX cameras to film key sequences of the film but I'm trying to find out if there were actual scenes that were filmed in IMAX 3D. I was under the impression that TDK was filmed in 2D and some of it perhaps digitally re-processed into 3D.

From the Cinematical article:

"Pfister is of a like mind with Nolan about the merits of 3-D (check back for a full interview soon, in which he details their mutual disinterest), which the duo declined to use for their upcoming film Inception. But the acclaimed, award-winning director of photography said that neither he nor Nolan has ruled out the possibility of shooting it using the format. "What Chris and I have talked about is doing something cool and something interesting," Pfister said. "[Director] Brad Bird was [saying] 'you've got to shoot the whole thing in IMAX!' I was like, yeah, I've talked to Chris about that.""

I'm getting a biiiit confused here.

I know this isn't much of a source (unofficial, perhaps) but:
Nolan used an IMAX camera to film some sequences, including the Joker's first appearance in the film.
For its release in IMAX theaters, Nolan shot four major sequences in that format, including the Joker's introduction, and said that he wished that it were possible to shoot the entire film in IMAX: "if you could take an IMAX camera to Mount Everest or outer space, you could use it in a feature movie." For fifteen years Nolan had wanted to shoot in the IMAX format, and he also used it for "quiet scenes which pictorially we thought would be interesting."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Knight_(film)

As I understand it, IMAX is not automatically a digital format... but maybe I'm confusing things. I know Nolan wants to shoot on film, not using digital cameras but does that mean that if the shooting cameras have negatives then it's non-digital cameras? I seem to read that IMAX cameras have negatives so perhaps they aren't automatically digital cameras although I read that IMAX 3d digital cameras may be happening soon.
IMAX 3D digital camera

In early January 2010, IMAX announced that it was developing a 3D digital camera and expects its first prototype to be ready by early 2010 with the goal of an official launch in 2011.
Benefits of the IMAX 3D digital camera include proprietary, differentiated content for the IMAX theatre network; increased content for the Company's planned joint venture 3D TV Network; and lower production costs, due to the elimination of expensive film stock.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMAX

I wish filmfanatic would chime in with his expertise. :)

Automatically digital?

IMAX is 70mm 15 perf film. The other scenes were shot on 35mm film with anamorphic lenses. No digital whatsoever, as Nolan and Pfister do not like video. What happens is that they develop the negatives, and scan them into a digital hard drive. The 35mm scenes were scanned at 4k, the IMAX scenes at 8k, to achieve the higher resolution. From there the film goes through post, and it is once again put on to 35mm prints and IMAX prints, which is what you see at the theater. The majority of films released today are not shot digitally, as right now digital motion picture cameras are inferior to 35mm and 70mm film cameras. Nolan is completely against 3D, and "The Dark Knight" was shot before this 3D fad. IMAX is not digital, not a single frame for "The Dark Knight" was taken with a digital camera.

IMAX does have 3D cameras, but they are pretty much completely useless with there size and cost.

Has this cleared thing up for you?

CrazyEight wrote:Automatically digital?

IMAX is 70mm 15 perf film. The other scenes were shot on 35mm film with anamorphic lenses. No digital whatsoever, as Nolan and Pfister do not like video. What happens is that they develop the negatives, and scan them into a digital hard drive. The 35mm scenes were scanned at 4k, the IMAX scenes at 8k, to achieve the higher resolution. From there the film goes through post, and it is once again put on to 35mm prints and IMAX prints, which is what you see at the theater. The majority of films released today are not shot digitally, as right now digital motion picture cameras are inferior to 35mm and 70mm film cameras. Nolan is completely against 3D, and "The Dark Knight" was shot before this 3D fad. IMAX is not digital, not a single frame for "The Dark Knight" was taken with a digital camera.

IMAX does have 3D cameras, but they are pretty much completely useless with there size and cost.

Has this cleared thing up for you?
More than cleared it up. Thanks for the explanation. :D