missed opportunity

Christopher Nolan's 2008 mega success about Batman's attempts to defeat a criminal mastermind known only as the Joker.
Posts: 2224
Joined: July 2010
Got to love Christopher Walken.

User avatar
Posts: 19929
Joined: June 2010
Location: The White City
Sorry Talli, my bad.

I'll make sure I don't post next time. Silly me forgot it's impossible to be right when you disagree.

User avatar
Posts: 15507
Joined: June 2010
Location: You're pretty good.
talli wrote:not my fault you're not imaginative enough to see how a scene could be played different without changing any dialogue


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj5mE4Li ... age#t=148s


now please shut the fuck up
That only proves that an actor can play the same lines differently. Which I didn't disagree with.

What you wanted, though, was something else.

Something else that:

1: Would require a change in the script (if Batman was to say change his voice. Which wouldn't make sense, for reasons explained).
2: Would break the movie's logic.
3: Would look even more rediculous than Batman's voice in that scene where he was telling Joker about Gotham's citizen's ready to believe in good. Anything more rediculous than that would be Bale trying to portray facial emotions during that line other than what he did right there in the movie. I already said enough about the mask, the war paint and everything. He never changed the way he acted and talked for a reason. And even if he tried he wouldn't succeed. Just his lips are way from enough to compencate for the lack of emotion you seem to be describing about his performance.


Keep saying I lack imagination while you yourself don't suggest any single working thing that would really make that scene as good as u want it to be.

Posts: 15900
Joined: June 2009
prince0gotham wrote:
talli wrote:not my fault you're not imaginative enough to see how a scene could be played different without changing any dialogue


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj5mE4Li ... age#t=148s


now please shut the fuck up
That only proves that an actor can play the same lines differently. Which I didn't disagree with.

What you wanted, though, was something else.


how you gonna tell ME what I want, shut the fuck up already. I had to pull this video out because you clearly dont understand what im talking about. And now that i showed you its possible to execute the scene differently without changing the dialogue, you're gonna tell me that its not what i asked? shut the fuck up, you lost the argument, take it like a man

User avatar
Posts: 15507
Joined: June 2010
Location: You're pretty good.
talli wrote: That only proves that an actor can play the same lines differently. Which I didn't disagree with.

What you wanted, though, was something else.


how you gonna tell ME what I want, shut the fuck up already. I had to pull this video out because you clearly dont understand what im talking about. And now that i showed you its possible to execute the scene differently without changing the dialogue, you're gonna tell me that its not what i asked? shut the fuck up, you lost the argument, take it like a man[/quote]



Well since you're just quoting me and telling me 'you're wrong' without adding anything substantial I won't even be so kind to leave you alone. I guess I'll just quote ya to death.



PS: Yeah, I know you don't care, I'll just do it anyway though.

PS2: not to mention you just said you showed me something that I just said I never disagreed with.

Posts: 333
Joined: January 2011
talli wrote:
JUSTIN time wrote:I agree with everyone else and I think talli is forgetting that the emotionless Batman is part of the character.

Essentially part of an actor’s job is to convey the characters thoughts to the audience. And what Nolan and Bale did in this movie was use Bruce as the character that has to deal with the trauma and problems, while Batman is the one who has to stay as calm and collected as possible and deal with events that unfold. There is a duality to the character that allows him to do what is necessary. Also you can’t forget to protect his identity Bruce has Playboy side where he acts as though he could care less about what is happening in Gotham.

thats what Bruce aims to do....but sticking by that rule makes him predictable and boring. It'd be interesting if a little bit of Bruce's emotion crept into Batman and he had to FIGHT to keep them subdued...that makes intriguing character development


the rules of batman mean nothing, if you never try to overstep them
Well what I and I think everyone else have been trying to say is that Bruce already has already broken through (Joker interrogation scene) and when he let his emotions get the best of him he gave the Joker the opportunity to manipulate and control the situation. I see you want more of that internal struggle to be shown but Bruce did not create Batman to help him through his own demons. We are shown enough to know that he can and will struggle as he tries to keep his personas separate.

Bruce realizes that Batman and the protection of Gotham are more important than his own feelings and as Batman he distances himself from those feelings. As Bruce is when he allows himself to feel; when we see him sitting in the chair his bat suit half way removed, we have no idea how long exactly he had been sitting there staring into space and contemplating the fact that his emotions allowed the Joker to win. So I think at that point we see a break of character no longer is he 50% Bruce and 50% Batman, to do what is necessary he has dropped the emotional side of Bruce and is now 99% Batman and will do what is necessary to save Gotham. For example, using the sonar machine to locate Joker even though it is unethical to spy on everyone but Bruce's 1% allowed him to have the machine self-destruct after he caught the Joker. My percentages are off but they show my point.

That is why he doesn’t breakdown; Bruce and Batman are as different as Harvey is from Two-face.

Posts: 443
Joined: August 2010
Although I disagree with the changes talli wanted, I agree in that using a mask as an excuse just doesn't work. If you can't express multiple emotions while wearing it you're simply not a good actor.

User avatar
Posts: 15507
Joined: June 2010
Location: You're pretty good.
JimmyFraska wrote:Although I disagree with the changes talli wanted, I agree in that using a mask as an excuse just doesn't work. If you can't express multiple emotions while wearing it you're simply not a good actor.
As a standalone thing it may not be enough of an argument, but he pointed out that he wasn't talking about changes of the script so in that case what he wants is impossible (voice-change requires a change in the script). Still, you can feel free to prove that the mask isn't a factor. You've seen V for Vendetta. The guy had a mask all the time and he was able to show emotion through his body language and mainly ->his voice<-, but he didn't fake his voice in the first place. So I know it is possible, but hard and uncalled for and especially - impossible and wrong having in mind the circumstances. I don't think I really need to repeat that since you already said you disagree with him, but still.

User avatar
Posts: 19929
Joined: June 2010
Location: The White City
JimmyFraska wrote:Although I disagree with the changes talli wanted, I agree in that using a mask as an excuse just doesn't work. If you can't express multiple emotions while wearing it you're simply not a good actor.
A good analogy for this would be V in V for Vendetta. Hugo Weaving brought a charismatic, amazing performance without even seeing his face.

That said, Bale does a fine job. His performance in Batman Begins is much better though.

User avatar
Posts: 15507
Joined: June 2010
Location: You're pretty good.
Vader182 wrote:
JimmyFraska wrote:Although I disagree with the changes talli wanted, I agree in that using a mask as an excuse just doesn't work. If you can't express multiple emotions while wearing it you're simply not a good actor.
A good analogy for this would be V in V for Vendetta. Hugo Weaving brought a charismatic, amazing performance without even seeing his face.

That said, Bale does a fine job. His performance in Batman Begins is much better though.
Did you not read my post?

Post Reply