Jokers Meaning

Christopher Nolan's 2008 mega success about Batman's attempts to defeat a criminal mastermind known only as the Joker.
Hi all

I am new to this forum and i adore the complexity of Nolan's films. I might have seen the dark knight more than 25 times.. Indeed a great movie.

I want to discuss the meaning of what jokers early dialog in the movie he says to the Bank Manager " I believe that what doesn't kill you... ...simply makes you stranger.". I have read some where that the actual is " I believe that what doesn't kill you... ...simply makes you stronger. ". Is it true? The stronger to stranger is a version by the Joker ? I think joker has his own interpretation of every thing.

You might have noticed he put a "S" of the "Laughter is the best medicine" text on side of the trailer truck making it "Slaughter is the best medicine" Ingenious..

Your comments.

apw
d_raji wrote: I believe that what doesn't kill you... ...simply makes you stranger.". I have read some where that the actual is " I believe that what doesn't kill you... ...simply makes you stronger. ". Is it true? .
That is true. Out of interest, where are you from?

d_raji wrote:Hi all

I am new to this forum and i adore the complexity of Nolan's films. I might have seen the dark knight more than 25 times.. Indeed a great movie.

I want to discuss the meaning of what jokers early dialog in the movie he says to the Bank Manager " I believe that what doesn't kill you... ...simply makes you stranger.". I have read some where that the actual is " I believe that what doesn't kill you... ...simply makes you stronger. ". Is it true? The stronger to stranger is a version by the Joker ? I think joker has his own interpretation of every thing.

You might have noticed he put a "S" of the "Laughter is the best medicine" text on side of the trailer truck making it "Slaughter is the best medicine" Ingenious..

Your comments.
The original quote is from Nietzsche:

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger."

youre overanalyzing it

its the joker so ofcourse, for his own entertainment, he says things like that to mess with people

talli wrote:he says things like that to mess with people
And to scare people :twisted:

I took the line as another twist on one of The Joker's many conflicting origin stories. He states that whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you stranger (not stronger). This could be an indication that The Joker's psychosis stems from a traumatizing incident which he survived which in turn may give some credibility to his several origin stories.

I saw the Slaughter thingy on my first watch in cinema (most of the time, I miss things like that during my first watch). The Joker is twisted, he'll do anything to hurt people, both fyscical as psychological.
The Stranger/Stronger quote is quite famous, it has been parodied many times. Though in context of The Joker, I think this one is the best!
David emerges from the store slowly. He braces himself against a parked car and then keeps on walking in a nightmarish daze.

WE PULL BACK as David blends in with dozens and dozens of ordinary people, walking on an ordinary street, in an ordinary city.

I saw the Slaughter thing during a huge Jokerization campaign on another forum I visit. It was really fun, a lot of people joined in the Jokerization, putting black circles and red smiles on their sets. :D

I had a Joker set for around 2 months. xD
Really skyrocketed my Joker obsession. :P

I think the Joker repersents the reverse of Batman.
Batman is Order, Joker is Anarchy
Batman is Order, Joker is chaos and so on.

I think his goal is simply to show to the world that no matter how many laws you create, or money you spend on crime, or how nice you are to others, you will always be vulnrable,misreable and scared of things that are not in your control.

I miss things like that during my first watch). The Joker is twisted.