Plot Holes

Christopher Nolan's 2008 mega success about Batman's attempts to defeat a criminal mastermind known only as the Joker.
Every movie has them.

After all the of the Joker's threats and acts of destruction you would think someone would take the time to check the ferry boats for anything at least suspicious.

The whole complaint about the Joker being able to escape after the party at Wayne's Penthouse is merely people not paying enough attention. Your answer is right here
Wuertz was one of Maroni's inside men and the Joker was working with the mob at the time. Wuertz threw the police off by reporting that action was going on somewhere else. Theres a reason why Wuertz is shown in that shot right before the Joker pushes him aside saying "We made it".

Another complaint is the Gotham cops not being around the warehouse Rachel blew up in. Its a matter of context. The convoy had its entire route sealed off creating a vacuum portion of the city thus enormous traffic afterwards. The police were also needed in areas like the helicopter crash site, burning fire truck, and places the Joker stole from/killed.
"When art imitates life"

There are plot holes in the film, but I think an answer that applies to many of the Joker's schemes is that
he had infiltrated the two most powerful and influential groups in the city: the mob and the police department. As the poster stated above me, Wuertz was a police officer, so that is how they were able to get into Wayne enterprises and that is how they likely got out...although Batman was right outside of the building, so I'd like to know how they got around that.

Skyab23 wrote:There are plot holes in the film, but I think an answer that applies to many of the Joker's schemes is that
he had infiltrated the two most powerful and influential groups in the city: the mob and the police department. As the poster stated above me, Wuertz was a police officer, so that is how they were able to get into Wayne enterprises and that is how they likely got out...although Batman was right outside of the building, so I'd like to know how they got around that.
More hostages and or Wuertz could have thrown him off from the police radio the same way he did to the police. He didn't know Wuertz was bent at the time otherwise he would have got him arrested before Dent's kidnapping.
"When art imitates life"

Hi. I have a couple of questions about the plot. Would greatly appreciate your help.

1. In the opening segment, Joker stands with his mask off until the car comes right next to him, when he puts the mask on. That means the people in the car must have seen his face. However, they proceed to talk about him in 3rd person and as though he's not actually participating. They also confirm - each one of them - that they have spoken to Joker personally before, so they should be 100% sure it was him there waiting for the car. Am I missing something here? Help.

2. At about 1h5m, Batman drops the mafia boss from the roof - next scene, he suddenly appears near Dent, to stop him from his coin flip game with some lunatic. How did Batman know where Dent is and that he has to go there?

3. Dent gives his double-heads coin to Rachel before the accident. So I assume the burnt side is from Rachel's accident, not Dent's. When he wakes up in the hospital, he sees the coin next to him on the table. How did they know it's his coin and so important to him that they took it from Rachel's remains and put it next to Dent?

gumbo wrote:Hi. I have a couple of questions about the plot. Would greatly appreciate your help.

1. In the opening segment, Joker stands with his mask off until the car comes right next to him, when he puts the mask on. That means the people in the car must have seen his face. However, they proceed to talk about him in 3rd person and as though he's not actually participating. They also confirm - each one of them - that they have spoken to Joker personally before, so they should be 100% sure it was him there waiting for the car. Am I missing something here? Help.

2. At about 1h5m, Batman drops the mafia boss from the roof - next scene, he suddenly appears near Dent, to stop him from his coin flip game with some lunatic. How did Batman know where Dent is and that he has to go there?

3. Dent gives his double-heads coin to Rachel before the accident. So I assume the burnt side is from Rachel's accident, not Dent's. When he wakes up in the hospital, he sees the coin next to him on the table. How did they know it's his coin and so important to him that they took it from Rachel's remains and put it next to Dent?
1. The car comes from behind him and he already has the mask on by the time he's inside the car. The mask was off (as shown from behind) so that the driver could see it and know that who they're picking up is the right guy.

2. Sonar machine most likely. A few scenes before that Lucius asks Bruce about him reassigning R&D and Bruce answers yes and that he's "keeping this one close to the chest".

3. Batman was the one who retrieved the double sided coin as shown during the Rachel letter monologue. Batman knows that it was Harvey's because he caught it in mid air when Dent was trying to scare the paranoid schizophrenic into giving away information about the Joker. Batman tells him that its a futile effort similarly to how Maroni explained in the previous scene.
"When art imitates life"

After a recent rewatch of Begins and The Dark Knight I spotted a plot hole in the latter that I don't think is easy to dismiss. It's not microwaves level of stupid but it's still a pretty big one. I'll mention a minor one first, though.

1. How did Joker get so many explosives into the hospital? Judging by the explosion, they were spread out around the whole building, perhaps more than what was needed to take it out. Didn't anyone notice?

2. The explosives on the ferries. This is the big one, in addition to raising the question in the previous plot hole. How did they get so many drums of gasoline without anyone noticing? Surely the staff would check the whole boat to see if they had additional room. Now let's give this one the benefit of the doubt and just roll with the fact that Joker had a couple of goons sneak the barrels aboard. At first this is easily dismissed, however if he did indeed have henchmen or even moles in the ferries' staff then this raises another question.

Why didn't they blow the other boat up? Jokers' men are obviously afraid of him and wouldn't want to risk getting themselves blown up, so they'd want to screw over the other ship so they can live (and before you bring up the possibility that the triggers were for their own bombs and that the Joker was lying, the guy does lie to his own henchmen). So then, let's assume that the henchmen simply weren't on the boat. This pretty much brings it all full circle to the question of how they got the drums aboard, along with the new question of why they didn't stay and assure nobody would discover the explosives before the time was right.
Crazy Eight wrote:
Allstar wrote: Thoughts on Michael Fassbender?
no ur a assbender

darthnazgul wrote:After a recent rewatch of Begins and The Dark Knight I spotted a plot hole in the latter that I don't think is easy to dismiss. It's not microwaves level of stupid but it's still a pretty big one. I'll mention a minor one first, though.

1. How did Joker get so many explosives into the hospital? Judging by the explosion, they were spread out around the whole building, perhaps more than what was needed to take it out. Didn't anyone notice?

2. The explosives on the ferries. This is the big one, in addition to raising the question in the previous plot hole. How did they get so many drums of gasoline without anyone noticing? Surely the staff would check the whole boat to see if they had additional room. Now let's give this one the benefit of the doubt and just roll with the fact that Joker had a couple of goons sneak the barrels aboard. At first this is easily dismissed, however if he did indeed have henchmen or even moles in the ferries' staff then this raises another question.

Why didn't they blow the other boat up? Jokers' men are obviously afraid of him and wouldn't want to risk getting themselves blown up, so they'd want to screw over the other ship so they can live (and before you bring up the possibility that the triggers were for their own bombs and that the Joker was lying, the guy does lie to his own henchmen). So then, let's assume that the henchmen simply weren't on the boat. This pretty much brings it all full circle to the question of how they got the drums aboard, along with the new question of why they didn't stay and assure nobody would discover the explosives before the time was right.
Because it was all part of the plan. See. They did this before they set the plan into motion. And again, GCPD are stupid. they use the dogs to check the bridges but not the hosbitals or ferries.
Brave New World

dafox wrote:
gumbo wrote: 1. In the opening segment, Joker stands with his mask off until the car comes right next to him, when he puts the mask on. That means the people in the car must have seen his face. However, they proceed to talk about him in 3rd person and as though he's not actually participating. They also confirm - each one of them - that they have spoken to Joker personally before, so they should be 100% sure it was him there waiting for the car. Am I missing something here? Help.
1. The car comes from behind him and he already has the mask on by the time he's inside the car. The mask was off (as shown from behind) so that the driver could see it and know that who they're picking up is the right guy.
Yes, but one thing remains though: Joker was standing in the sidewalk, in the middle of the day, in plain view with his mask off. I assume his figure (make-up, clothes and green hair) would've caught the attention of anybody else who walked past him in the streets. Not quite "low-profile" for someone who is about to rob a bank. Not to mention the rest of the gang, driving around in clown masks. Also, the other team blows up a window in a busy part of town. Wouldn't all that glass fall on people in the street bellow? or wouldn't somebody at least notice that glass hitting the sidewalk, look up, and see those guys crossing on the cable?
darthnazgul wrote: 1. How did Joker get so many explosives into the hospital? Judging by the explosion, they were spread out around the whole building, perhaps more than what was needed to take it out. Didn't anyone notice?

2. The explosives on the ferries. This is the big one, in addition to raising the question in the previous plot hole. How did they get so many drums of gasoline without anyone noticing?
I thought about that too. The logistics of the Joker's terrorist acts are pretty grand and demanding. He says "gunpowder, dynamite and gasoline are cheap", but in that amount? Just to move and place all those explosives (into the precinct, both warehouses, the hospital and both ferries) would require some serious work, not to mention that he did it without anybody noticing (how stupid is the people and the authorities of Gotham?). One more thing: he would also need an experienced demolition engineer to rig and place the explosives in the right place to cause the desired fx. Plus: he blows up the precinct, everybody gets blown but him?

Here's one: Batman and Rachel fall from the Penthouse, landing on the car. After checking that she's OK, why didn't he rushed back up there to face the Joker? he was still in the building, still could have his guests as hostages and still could find Harvey Dent in the closet.

Anyway, all this is nitpicking. We're talking about movies and comics here. There are no plot holes in Nolan's movies that could spoil my viewing pleasure. (but when you've seen the movie dozens of times, it's hard not to think about stuff like this :) )