Is the joker a sane man?

Christopher Nolan's 2008 mega success about Batman's attempts to defeat a criminal mastermind known only as the Joker.
From Merriam-Webster:

Sane-
1: proceeding from a sound mind : rational
2: mentally sound; especially : able to anticipate and appraise the effect of one's actions

I think the Joker was incredibly rational, even if the result of the rationale was unusual. He still showed a lot of logic and his diatribes and thoughts were very clearly thought out. Also, as I said in an earlier post, he definitely was able to appraise his actiions (see the "schemers" speech with Harvey). So, by definition, the joker is sane.

/thread

In essence, Batman is essentially the polar opposite of Joker in many ways. Grant Morrison said that Batman himself would have gone insane if he hadn't dressed up as a bat, beating up criminals. He is, by the standards of our society, completely mad. In fact he could be considered as having post-traumatic stress disorder and three of his villains are psychiatrists. Now Joker can be seen as Bruce had he gone a different route. Bruce chose to not just turn away from the fundamental flaws of society but actively oppose them. In a way that can be seen as ignorant. Joker on the other hand just decided to go with the flow of the World, in a way that most people are blind to.

Batman and Joker can both be viewed as insane or sane. It just depends on which way you go. In a way, Batman refuses to acknowledge the obvious, while Joker quite clearly knows about moral compasses and the way people react when their back is against the wall. However Joker also views the cracks as the only thing that's there, while Batman tries to find some positives to the cons, if not outright enforce them. They can kinda be viewed as a "glass half-full/glass half-empty" sort of deal.

Although by the standards of the real world? I'd say Joker isn't just sane but quite sophisticated.

Also, relevant short story by Paul Dini:
Crazy Eight wrote:
Allstar wrote: Thoughts on Michael Fassbender?
no ur a assbender

darthnazgul wrote:In essence, Batman is essentially the polar opposite of Joker in many ways. Grant Morrison said that Batman himself would have gone insane if he hadn't dressed up as a bat, beating up criminals. He is, by the standards of our society, completely mad. In fact he could be considered as having post-traumatic stress disorder and three of his villains are psychiatrists. Now Joker can be seen as Bruce had he gone a different route. Bruce chose to not just turn away from the fundamental flaws of society but actively oppose them. In a way that can be seen as ignorant. Joker on the other hand just decided to go with the flow of the World, in a way that most people are blind to.

Batman and Joker can both be viewed as insane or sane. It just depends on which way you go. In a way, Batman refuses to acknowledge the obvious, while Joker quite clearly knows about moral compasses and the way people react when their back is against the wall. However Joker also views the cracks as the only thing that's there, while Batman tries to find some positives to the cons, if not outright enforce them. They can kinda be viewed as a "glass half-full/glass half-empty" sort of deal.

Although by the standards of the real world? I'd say Joker isn't just sane but quite sophisticated.

Also, relevant short story by Paul Dini:
I like your huntress sig. She's a babe.

after reading that the Joker was based on the Gambler, it all made sense

everything he does in the film, is a gamble of the highest stakes...and his life is on the line.....his first line in the film is "i believe whatever doesn't kill you, simply makes you stranger." The Joker, literally, gets a high off gambling his life and walking away alive

the bank scene, he can potentially be killed by one of the clowns

the mob meeting, he walks in, he can potentially be shot..but he gambles his life with the idea that he can talk them out of it

coming to Gambol's headquarters in a body bag...he can easily be killed

he gives Harvey the pistol, and tells him to flip a coin, if it lands on tails, he can kill him

every scene is a gamble on his life

Didn't know where to put this but there's some new Joker origin clues from a TDKR tie-n book:
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/07/05/n ... connection

Apparently the GCPD think he might be one of the following:
1.) A circus performer with a grudge.
2.) A soldier suffering from PTSD (which may explain why targets civic officials)
3.) The good ol' classic Arkham nut.

DreamPolice wrote:Didn't know where to put this but there's some new Joker origin clues from a TDKR tie-n book:
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/07/05/n ... connection

Apparently the GCPD think he might be one of the following:
1.) A circus performer with a grudge.
2.) A soldier suffering from PTSD (which may explain why targets civic officials)
3.) The good ol' classic Arkham nut.

he's obviously none of those since Nolan said the joker isnt supposed to have a humanized backstory.

Interesting discussion. Like all serial killers, I think he's just a sociopath and lives by his own rules instead of by the constraints of society. When we label someone as "sane" or "insane", it's just based on society's expectations.

Just as sane as me.So 210% normal in other words

Nope.

m4st4 wrote:Nope.
He was by definition sane.