Great movie but couple of questions

The 2006 film about rival magicians desperately trying to learn the secrets of each others tricks.
Hello,

Finally saw this movie and loved it, but two things are really bugging me.

1. When they find out that Angier is still alive, why didn't either Cutter or Mr. Fallon try to save Fred (imprisoned twin) from being executed?

2. Why was Fred so concerned about his niece's future? Al (surviving twin) is alive and can take care of her. Unless Al planned to live the rest of his life as Mr. Fallon, the rest of the world would find out about the twins' secret after Fred's death.

Good-bye

Hello wrote:Hello,

1. When they find out that Angier is still alive, why didn't either Cutter or Mr. Fallon try to save Fred (imprisoned twin) from being executed?

2. Why was Fred so concerned about his niece's future? Al (surviving twin) is alive and can take care of her. Unless Al planned to live the rest of his life as Mr. Fallon, the rest of the world would find out about the twins' secret after Fred's death.

Good-bye
1. No one would believe them. Angier walked into the jail where Borden was, and the guards didn't believe Borden when he was yelling that it was Angier. And it was pretty much too late by the time he found out.

2. The courts motioned to have the girl removed from Fallon's care.

steve knows this film backwards

Mr. Caine wrote:steve knows this film backwards
i know Memento backwards
"When art imitates life"

steveportee wrote: 1. No one would believe them. Angier walked into the jail where Borden was, and the guards didn't believe Borden when he was yelling that it was Angier. And it was pretty much too late by the time he found out.

Hello,

Thanks for your reply but it doesn't clear anything up. Maybe I'm just looking at it too deeply.

1. The guards understandably don't believe Fred (imprisoned twin). However Cutter served as the prosecution's key witness in convicting him. If Cutter went to the judge or whoever to retract his testimony based on what he now knows, it would have saved Fred's life (or at least given him more time).

2. The movie's conclusion (Angier's final death) doesn't change the daughter's future. According to the courts, she belongs in an orphanage. So was Al (surviving twin) planning to live as Fallon for the rest of his life and hide his true identity? I really doubt it considering his daughter's future was at stake. Fred seemed concerned about the girl for nothing when he knows his brother can look after her.

Hello wrote:
steveportee wrote: 1. No one would believe them. Angier walked into the jail where Borden was, and the guards didn't believe Borden when he was yelling that it was Angier. And it was pretty much too late by the time he found out.

Hello,

Thanks for your reply but it doesn't clear anything up. Maybe I'm just looking at it too deeply.

1. The guards understandably don't believe Fred (imprisoned twin). However Cutter served as the prosecution's key witness in convicting him. If Cutter went to the judge or whoever to retract his testimony based on what he now knows, it would have saved Fred's life (or at least given him more time).

2. The movie's conclusion (Angier's final death) doesn't change the daughter's future. According to the courts, she belongs in an orphanage. So was Al (surviving twin) planning to live as Fallon for the rest of his life and hide his true identity? I really doubt it considering his daughter's future was at stake. Fred seemed concerned about the girl for nothing when he knows his brother can look after her.
1. How on earth should Cutter explain that to the court? Oh hey, I know he's lying over there dead, but actually, he's still alive. And it was on the day of Borden's execution that all this happened, I believe. Would Cutter even have had time to hunt down the people needed to postpone the execution? They didn't have phones back then, he would have had to go find the judge, who would have to then make it to the jail to delay the execution. That is of course assuming the judge would buy anything Cutter was saying.

2. She doesn't belong to the orphanage anymore. She was adopted by Lord Caldlow. The brothers' plan was for the daughter to be raised by Lord Caldlow, where she would have a good life. That is, until he reveals himself to be Angier.

Hello wrote:Hello,

Good-bye
Your first question is probably the most significant question on this whole forum re The Prestige - and the answer is:

ARE YOU WATCHING CLOSELY?????

Watched this again. The reason Cutter or Fallon didn't come forward with the truth is because revealing the power of the Tesla box was too dangerous. Cutter wamted to destroy it even before knowing the truth.