Better on a second viewing

The 2006 film about rival magicians desperately trying to learn the secrets of each others tricks.
Erik wrote:I have the DVD of this movie for about two years now. I was so amazed by it, that I decided to watch it very rarely.

I mean, the story is so complex that I can still see new things in it. I've seen Fight Club a dozen times. I've seen almost everything now. The fun of watching Fight Club is a bit gone. I didn't want that to happen to The Prestige. So I've only seen it twice now.
Welcome to the forum! Glad to see more and more are joining up to talk about Chris Nolan. I've seen it twice too, I feel the exact same as you. I think I'll give it a third viewing soon ;)

Erik wrote:I have the DVD of this movie for about two years now. I was so amazed by it, that I decided to watch it very rarely.

I mean, the story is so complex that I can still see new things in it. I've seen Fight Club a dozen times. I've seen almost everything now. The fun of watching Fight Club is a bit gone. I didn't want that to happen to The Prestige. So I've only seen it twice now.
I know what you mean, problem is, I can't help it. I've seen The Prestige about 25 times now and have seen everything, but for some reason it ALWAYS blows me away. As for, Fight Club I have probably seen it 40 times, and the fun in it is almost completely gone as I mentally recite the entire film as I watch it.

And by the way, I do not overexaggerate those numbers at all.

When I saw the movie in theatres, I entered at the mausoleum scene (the nearest theatre is a 50-mile drive) so naturally I didn't understand what was going on, and was somewhat disappointed with the movie. I definitely liked The Prestige on the second viewing, and every time I watch it I still pick things up. It has, with repeated viewings, become one of my favorite movies, and is, I think, one of the best-written movies ever.

I just finished my second viewing of this film. My first was a couple of weeks ago.
(I know. I know. I'll get to making those screenshots.) ;)

I agree with pretty much everything that is being said here. I do think this film is better on a second viewing. Knowing the ending of the film, especially this particular film, opens you up to a new storyline. Each scene means something different now.

I know that I'll definitely enjoy seeing this movie a third and fourth time too. I can't see this film becoming "boring," to me, at least, any time soon.

Agreed on that one, The Prestige is brilliant on the second viewing.

Heck yeah!

And even better on a fifth viewing. Come on, I know you know it. :P

I've had numerous viewings of all of Nolan films except Following which I just saw a few weeks ago. :)

Prestige is no different than other Nolan films. The more you watch, the more you appreciate it. You pick out more fine details and adds that little more something into the plot.