Better on a second viewing

The 2006 film about rival magicians desperately trying to learn the secrets of each others tricks.
This is definitely a film that is better on a second viewing IMO. Maybe it was the trailer that messed up my expectations... the trailer is pretty misleading.

Anybody else agree or disagree?

I disagree, I loved it in the same way when I first saw it and when I saw it the second time :D

But there's one thing, that's still not clear to me:

POSSIBLE SPOILER

At the very end of the film, the camera shows us "a" Robert Angier in a cage full of water. I'm still not sure if it is a dead clone of Angier or it is alive. But this could be a very stupid question... :D

**SPOILER**

yea, I am pretty sure that is a clone of Angier that is dead. Chris ends on that shot to show us the severity of the events that took place -- at least that is how I see it.

I agree that this film is better on a second viewing as i think that this often the intention with all chris nolan films. He has said this himself that he likes to create films that require more than one viewing so the viewer can re-interpret his films with each viewing especially from a purely objective perpective. Obviously the film that most inspires that notion of re-watching and finding something different would be memento, just from my own experiance of friends who love chris nolan films and that one in particular and how most have reached a different conclusion about what the films central meaning was about despite watching it numerous times each had there own difinitive interpretation of events in the film. The same could be attributed to the prestige to a lesser degree as it is less ambiguous in it's structure, any qustions in the film you wouldn't have found first time around become clearer on a second viewing, which is the beauty in chris nolans directing. Sometimes the answer is there and sometimes the answer is up to you.

All right, that's true that the Chris Nolan-films need to be seen at least two times. They are so complex that a simple movie-fan like me can't recognize all the details of the story the first time.

I thought you meant that you didn't like The Prestige very much the first time you saw it, but when you watched it the second time, you fell in love with it :D That's the reason why I've said that I disagree, because I loved the film the very first time I saw it :D

I very much liked the prestige on my first viewing of it, but what i meant to say was that i appreciated it even more on a second viewing. I'd have to say that, that's the same approach i've had to all of his films and with that method to story telling and directing being the very intention to nolans work it just makes for a better viewing satisfaction no matter how many times you watch. If anything you are without doubt getting your moneys worth!

Besides The Dark Knight I think all of Chris's trailers have been quite poor. And I agree, The Prestige is far better on second viewing, especially the scene where Borden is being taken away to be hanged. That scene becomes so much more powerful when you understand what he is saying, eg "I'm sorry about Sarah, I didn't mean to hurt her" etc.

The Prestige was definitely better after the second viewing, but that's not to say that I didn't like it after the first. In fact, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie the first time I saw it, and while many think that the final twist is a cop-out, I found it to be extremely interesting after what Nolan had built up. I love the movie, even after the fifteenth viewing.

I enjoyed it the first time through but I'd say the second time viewing it's a bit better as you start to notice more things. It's his most in-depth film, I feel. However, it's one of my least faves of his. I'm just not a fan of the story. However, visually speaking, it's one of his best. I need to watch it again.

I have the DVD of this movie for about two years now. I was so amazed by it, that I decided to watch it very rarely.

I mean, the story is so complex that I can still see new things in it. I've seen Fight Club a dozen times. I've seen almost everything now. The fun of watching Fight Club is a bit gone. I didn't want that to happen to The Prestige. So I've only seen it twice now.
David emerges from the store slowly. He braces himself against a parked car and then keeps on walking in a nightmarish daze.

WE PULL BACK as David blends in with dozens and dozens of ordinary people, walking on an ordinary street, in an ordinary city.