My brief thoughts on this film

The 2006 film about rival magicians desperately trying to learn the secrets of each others tricks.
talli wrote:i know right

we're so sorry that this place is bad, and that there are people who have different opinions....welcome to the real world, buddy
Yeah, but Talli, everyone disagrees with you. And it seems to be that we are disagreeing with a fact, not an opinion. Can you give evidence that you are right. I mean, the script for The Prestige is on this site. Someone has provided a clear deffinition of lineair and non-lineair. We say the movie is non-lineair, now it's up to you to prove us wrong!
By just saying we are wrong, you do not convince us that we in fact are.

I am interested to your reply. I don't like being wrong, but if I am, I will admit it. Just convince me!
David emerges from the store slowly. He braces himself against a parked car and then keeps on walking in a nightmarish daze.

WE PULL BACK as David blends in with dozens and dozens of ordinary people, walking on an ordinary street, in an ordinary city.

Ok guys, I'll try to do my best and try to explain to you why the movie is no-linear.
Sorry cause my english is not so good so sometimes it's difficult to explain some things.
In a linear movie you just have one time / tense (the present of the movie), the facts just happen one after the other. There isn't jumps in time (present or future).
In the case of The Prestige just look the very first scene. The top hats scene.
We have three differents tenses in that scene.
The present - Michael Caine voice over (during the trial) the present time of the movie. The movie start in the trial and jump back and fordward.
The past - the top hats scene is something that just happened.

And the voice over of Borden "are you watching..." it could be the past or the future because he repeat it all along the movie.Last time before he dies.
I hope that this help to understand.
No matter what, THE MOVIE IS NO-LINEAR.

Erik wrote:
talli wrote:i know right

we're so sorry that this place is bad, and that there are people who have different opinions....welcome to the real world, buddy
Yeah, but Talli, everyone disagrees with you. And it seems to be that we are disagreeing with a fact, not an opinion. Can you give evidence that you are right. I mean, the script for The Prestige is on this site. Someone has provided a clear deffinition of lineair and non-lineair. We say the movie is non-lineair, now it's up to you to prove us wrong!
By just saying we are wrong, you do not convince us that we in fact are.

I am interested to your reply. I don't like being wrong, but if I am, I will admit it. Just convince me!

can you tell me what events occur out of order?

natalie wrote:Ok guys, I'll try to do my best and try to explain to you why the movie is no-linear.
Sorry cause my english is not so good so sometimes it's difficult to explain some things.
In a linear movie you just have one time / tense (the present of the movie), the facts just happen one after the other. There isn't jumps in time (present or future).
In the case of The Prestige just look the very first scene. The top hats scene.
We have three differents tenses in that scene.
The present - Michael Caine voice over (during the trial) the present time of the movie. The movie start in the trial and jump back and fordward.
The past - the top hats scene is something that just happened.

And the voice over of Borden "are you watching..." it could be the past or the future because he repeat it all along the movie.Last time before he dies.
I hope that this help to understand.
No matter what, THE MOVIE IS NO-LINEAR.
that was a good explanation, i guess you got that. i was wrong

So Talli,

Are you being sarcastic or are you convinced? (Sarcasm is hard to spot in a chat/message board conversation)
David emerges from the store slowly. He braces himself against a parked car and then keeps on walking in a nightmarish daze.

WE PULL BACK as David blends in with dozens and dozens of ordinary people, walking on an ordinary street, in an ordinary city.

Erik wrote:This place isn't that bad!

The is one person you can't get along with and now this place is bad? I mean, yes I think Talli is wrong and yes, I think he (Talli, you are an 'he' right?) is very stubborn. But what if Talli means something else then we think he means? In that case we are both right. I don't know what the hell he is talking about, but I am intersted in what he has to say.

By saying that this place is bad, you are insulting everyone on this forum. Thank you for that!
Well I'm sorry if you were offended by the comment (as I have no problems with you and I do consider you a good member of the forum) but there are a couple of people on this forum, who cant get noticed on the imdb forum and just come on here instead.
I don't like having my time wasted by users (like Talli for example) who just talk out their backsides.
I give him clear proof and evidence that he's wrong and he throws it back in my face saying that I'm wrong and says "we're so sorry that this place is bad, and that there are people who have different opinions....welcome to the real world, buddy"
When I'm not stating a POV (which I respect anyway on this board, even people who think The Dark Knight is the greatest film ever) it's a fact, like the world is round etc etc.
He provides no evidence to say I'm wrong and is just plain rude (he has been in the past as well) and not very bright either.
If he does understand the concept of Non-Linear, then he watched the wrong film (The Illusionist comes to my head tbh) but he's so dumb, and dosent think to look at the trailers on youtube to check up if he watched the film he is talking about.
Whats the point talking to someone who is that ignorant and obnoxious tbh, esspecially when he insults people (natalie for example in this thread).
This is why I'm fed up tbh Erik as I go on other forums and this sort of thing isn't tolerated at all.

Yeah, well then don't talk to them. I mean, no offence but if you want to go somewhere, where there are no people that you don't like, then I think you won't get any further then your own home.
Everywhere there are people that are stubborn, they don't agree with you, or expect you to be anyone else. It's how humans react. You might hate it, and I know I hate it, but that's how things are.

Now, if I look at the things Talli said, then I'd say that he was confused by different movies, and very stubborn about it. You two got off on the wrong foot but this happens more in the world. I'd say, don't mind Talli for a while and just contineu on post here. 'Cause leaving is not the sollution, it's an escape!

Erik wrote:Yeah, well then don't talk to them. I mean, no offence but if you want to go somewhere, where there are no people that you don't like, then I think you won't get any further then your own home.
Everywhere there are people that are stubborn, they don't agree with you, or expect you to be anyone else. It's how humans react. You might hate it, and I know I hate it, but that's how things are.

Now, if I look at the things Talli said, then I'd say that he was confused by different movies, and very stubborn about it. You two got off on the wrong foot but this happens more in the world. I'd say, don't mind Talli for a while and just contineu on post here. 'Cause leaving is not the sollution, it's an escape!
Well I very rarely seem to bump into people like him in real life, but on here it's getting more frequant on this board.
Esspecially when some of them submit spoilers and don't put a spoiler tab on the comment.
But to be fair the admins have been quite good sorting out those who do it, but they still do it after being told.
Thats all I have to say on the subject as it will just go and on.

When Angier first appeared as Lord Caldlow he kinda looked like Robert Downey Jr. I didn't realize until Borden first called him Angier.

are you really gonna leave the forum just because somebody disagreed with you and you just couldn't let him be? i mean the guy allready said he was wrong, d'you want to say sorry? arguments happen

change of topic

i never thought the movie was confusing, i think everything's quite clear... well i'm not the kind of person who try to figure out the whole mistery before it ends, i like to seat and watch until everything is explained in the end :D