The China-man's trick

The 2006 film about rival magicians desperately trying to learn the secrets of each others tricks.
I would like to discuss the China-man's water trick.

In the film, the character's name is Chung Ling Soo. Cung Ling Soo was the stage name of a real magician. His 'secret' lasted until a fatal accident upon the stage. Chung Ling Soo was not Chinese at all and had always appeared in make-up in public. He spoke Chinese using an interpreter when speaking with journalists. He never spoke on stage. After being shot, he spoke on stage in English. Chung Ling Soo was really an American named William Robinson (1861-1922) who lived and performed as the Chinese magician.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chung_Ling_Soo

William copied not only the name but also the water bowl trick itself from Chung Ling Foo, a real Chinese magician. Apparently, Robinson became angry after performing Chung Ling Foo's trick. Chung Ling Foo had promised a payment of $1000.00 to anyone who could understand his trick and perform it (but it was just a publicity stunt). William Robinson died tragically, when a rigged gun discharged al bullet from the barrel next to the blank.Thus the inspiration for the mishap in the bullet catch scene.

"But, you want to be tricked."

Now for the tricky part. Borden seemed to understand at least part of the trick. Next, we see Angier walking with a large bowl between his legs. Now, where is the trick? That is not how the trick is performed. You were duped into believing that. There is no trap door either. Chung Ling Soo never brought the cover down far enough to touch the floor. Did Nolan deliberately trick the audience? Did Angier guess wrong or did Borden deliberately tell Angier the wrong solution?

I can post the real trick later, as I would like to have a few people think about how the trick was really performed.

Why did Nolan show us a fake solution?

Its a work of fiction, I didn't even know there was a real Chinese magician.
The trick in the film actually proved to be a hint at BOrden's secret and thus was essential to the plot of the film.

I guess we don't need the weatherman to know which way the wingo.
Last edited by Rusty Shackleford on June 18th, 2011, 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rusty Shackleford wrote:I guess we don't need the weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
:|

It's a Bob Dylan lyric, not sure how it applies here tho.

ooohhhhhhhh I get it.
:|

Hi Steve, how's the trolling today?

Rusty Shackleford wrote:Hi Steve, how's the trolling today?
Sorry, who are you?

solo2001 wrote:
Sorry, who are you?
:lol:

Your name is clearly an anagram and you are clearly a member already, yet I have not figured you out.

I'm on to you biatch! :think: