Do you side with one of the characters?

The 2006 film about rival magicians desperately trying to learn the secrets of each others tricks.
well said overman.

JRM
At first I didn't really side with one of them. I kept thinking how much of a jerk Alfred was for cheating on his wife and he probably deserves all the backlash, but then I come to find out it wasn't really him. :wtf: After watching it again, I easily sided with Alfred.

I kind of side with the brothers too, allthough both of them killed people and Angier only killed himself. Multiple times. And let Borden hang. Damn.

it's not like Borden KILLED! ha ha

OVERMAN wrote:absolutely agree about Mr. Borden, in terms of personality I like the fact that he wants to do something new, something original, he's a true artist and understands the sacrifice behind his craft, to me he's all about "what" he gives to the world more than "why" he gives it, his conviction made him more obsessed about the art rather than for what or for whom the art is for. Now in the other hand we have Mr. Angier, I like the fact that he actually does it not really to be recognized but as he said at the end to see the audiences faces, to fool them, to make them believe, even for a minute that there are extraordinary things in the world, his showman side-what some people would see as artificial actually made him understand this truth.
This two sides, features or qualities are perfectly represented in the characters of this film and are in my opinion what makes a whole of an artist.
See this brings up a good point. What if only one Borden was actually like this? What if one was simply riding on the coattails of his brother?

We can never be sure. :think:
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.

I would guess at one point they simply made a vote of confidence, but as you said we can't be sure, after Angier returned for America with the machine one of the Bordens seemed a little bossy with his brother for not being able to discover the secrets of the trick, at that point I considered what you said.

I started out rooting for Angier, as he just seemed like he was the one I was meant to root for - he appeared likable, had more screentime in the beginning, and tragically lost his wife. It seemed as though I was meant to want Angier to get his revenge on Borden. Then, however, I gained more sympathy for Borden when he was with Sarah, had a child, had his
wife commit suicide
, and when his "buddy" Fallon was briefly buried alive. I lost almost all sympathy for Angier by the time it was revealed that he had
killed a hundred of his own duplicates by drowning them
just for revenge.

Angier.

I honestly thought the majority would side with me on this one.

JimmyFraska wrote:Angier.

I honestly thought the majority would side with me on this one.
Maybe if you only watched the first half of the movie. Borden didn't do anything near as bad as what Angier does towards the end of the movie.

Even Nolan sided with the brothers. One of them lived after all and got to take care of his niece.