Do you side with one of the characters?

The 2006 film about rival magicians desperately trying to learn the secrets of each others tricks.
Go Team Borden! Sure, one of them's kind of a jerk, but the good Borden is just trying to live a happy life with his family and his awesome job, it's not really his fault that Angier hates him, and his brother (I'm just assuming it's his brother) tied the wrong knot, his wife commits suicide... his brother's hanged... :| Jeez, his life sucks doesn't it?

I'm on the side of the surviving Borden. I felt like he was the one who suffered the most throughout the film. He lost his fingers, his career, the love of his life, his brother, and he almost lost his daughter. I really felt for him after the first time I watched the film.

Pat S. wrote:I'm on the side of the surviving Borden. I felt like he was the one who suffered the most throughout the film. He lost his fingers, his career, the love of his life, his brother, and he almost lost his daughter. I really felt for him after the first time I watched the film.
I agree. He had a real emotional impact on me, especially when talking to his daughter through the bars in the jail. A real bond there.

Pat S. wrote:I'm on the side of the surviving Borden. I felt like he was the one who suffered the most throughout the film. He lost his fingers, his career, the love of his life, his brother, and he almost lost his daughter. I really felt for him after the first time I watched the film.
Pretty much the same for me as well

i think thats the beauty of this film. you have two characters who, as the film progresses you shouldn't really like either as their obsession with outdoing the other destroys both their lives.

its implied that borden is responsible for julias death and, as he becomes dissatisfied with his family life, we believe him to be cheating on his wife as well. we don't know that its two separate people with genuine feelings for different women.

on the other hand angier no longer cares for revenge for his wifes death, but instead is driven by bitterness and jealousy, wanting the glory of being the better magician and ruining bordens life.

i think thats were the skill of the actors comes in. for me i sided with bordens character throughout, and to me thats down to christian bales performance. i definately think that hugh jackman shows great depth in his performance though.

Personally, I constantly switched between the two, as you would in a courtroom drama, which this kind of is a little bit.

I was sorry a bit for Angier in the beginning but I kind of prefered Borden all along. Both brothers, I don't really think one was really better than the other, I think it's a choice they made together.
I think Borden was more mysterious and more interesting as a character than Angier, he seemed more human at the end too.

Batcat wrote:I was sorry a bit for Angier in the beginning but I kind of prefered Borden all along. Both brothers, I don't really think one was really better than the other, I think it's a choice they made together.
I think Borden was more mysterious and more interesting as a character than Angier, he seemed more human at the end too.
I agree, or maybe that's just because I think Christian Bale is bloody awesome :lol:

Definitely both Borden's,
but especially the surviving one.
Angier started with understandable motivations but just became vicious, even trying to cause another man's death. Borden obviously didn't mean to kill Julia, even if he was accidentally responsible for her death.
Even though both do pretty bad things, definitely Borden for me. He's not as ruthless and more devoted to his craft. Plus it's Christian Bale (duh).
Here's an interesting article on the subject:
http://blogs.middlebury.edu/sleighto/20 ... -prestige/
But what I said before was my opinion even before I read this.

I'm siding with that little bird that got killed towards the start.
Haha, jokes.
Honestly, neither of them are better than the other. I sided with angier, and then it gradually transformed into Borden by the end. All I can conclude is that both of them are seriously flawed and have big issues to confront in their respective lives.