[SPOILERS] Are you watching closely?

The 2006 film about rival magicians desperately trying to learn the secrets of each others tricks.
The ending is a metaphor for

Magic-pretty obvious, and how people are always looking so hard to find the secret, and in reality it probably is right there.
Movies-people always are looking for what makes a film great, acting, directing, non-linear structures, linear structures, but at the end it is just a great story.
Life-people always want there to be something extrodinary, but in reality many people's lives are ordinary.

Think about the explanation for the trick-they were twins, like come on that is such a simple way to do the trick, but that is how all of these three things work, once you reveal the trick you realize it is actually ordinary.

Erik wrote:Actress Rebecca Hall stated in the special features on the DVD that the line wasn't in the script and she just said it. While she thought she had given away the ending of the movie, Nolan decided to keep it in the movie.
haha I just watched it again... but does that mean Bale's line was ad libbed as well? "Sarah shut up... SHUT UP!" :lol:
He might have been telling her to do it for real since she thought she gave away a crucial plot point.

I have one question: What did Sarah mean when she said "I know what you really are"?

She knew that Borden had a twin and was using him as the prestige in his version of The Transported Man. Later in the film, Olivia mentions that Sarah was going to tell her, however, of course, Sarah took her own life before she had the opportunity.
I think part of being deceived is that the audience (most, not all)swallows the story line.
Sarah thinks Alfred is a cheater. Olivia doesn't recognize who Rainier is either.
Yet, if one thinks about it, it would be impossible to trick people in this manner.
As impossible as building a cloning machine.
How could Olivia work as an assistant and not know of the twin?
Or, did she just never realize that the two switched?
Apparently, Alfred slept with Olivia, but Freddy refused to sleep with Sarah.

I don't think it's impossible to trick people in this manner.
One of my friend knew a pair of twin, one is really nice and works hard; another is extremely mischievous and always skips classes. But they never admit which one they are, they always ended up getting the same (high) grades because nobody can tell them apart and the teachers were afraid of giving the hard working twin bad grades by accident.
My friend however suspect they switch regularly like the Borden twins.

It's pretty messed up, but definitely not impossible.

author wrote:
I have one question: What did Sarah mean when she said "I know what you really are"?

She knew that Borden had a twin and was using him as the prestige in his version of The Transported Man. Later in the film, Olivia mentions that Sarah was going to tell her, however, of course, Sarah took her own life before she had the opportunity.
I think part of being deceived is that the audience (most, not all)swallows the story line.
Sarah thinks Alfred is a cheater. Olivia doesn't recognize who Rainier is either.
Yet, if one thinks about it, it would be impossible to trick people in this manner.
Yeah, there's probably a few holes here and there that need to be filled.

Plot holes. :modesty:

darkest_knight wrote:
author wrote:
Yeah, there's probably a few holes here and there that need to be filled.

Plot holes. :modesty:
WTF?

author wrote:

ummm.. Olivia DOES tell Angier that Borden uses a double. He refuses to believe her.

I still want to know how light bulbs sticking out of the snow can light up.

darkest_knight wrote:I still want to know how light bulbs sticking out of the snow can light up.
Electricity.

darkest_knight wrote:I still want to know how light bulbs sticking out of the snow can light up.

they explain it in the movie...salt carries a charge