[SPOILERS] Are you watching closely?

The 2006 film about rival magicians desperately trying to learn the secrets of each others tricks.
Erik wrote:Actress Rebecca Hall stated in the special features on the DVD that the line wasn't in the script and she just said it. While she thought she had given away the ending of the movie, Nolan decided to keep it in the movie.
See that line made me think Borden was a clone. I know it was ad-libbed, but she should have said "I know who you are" instead of "I know what you are"

Yeah, I actually thought the same.

I thought that Borden had used the machine of Tesla, yet used it just once, and now there are two Bordens. Only after a secend vieuwing I got the fact that they where just twins, not clones.
David emerges from the store slowly. He braces himself against a parked car and then keeps on walking in a nightmarish daze.

WE PULL BACK as David blends in with dozens and dozens of ordinary people, walking on an ordinary street, in an ordinary city.

Erik wrote:Yeah, I actually thought the same.

I thought that Borden had used the machine of Tesla, yet used it just once, and now there are two Bordens. Only after a secend vieuwing I got the fact that they where just twins, not clones.
That means that you WERE viewing the film properly. We are meant to believe that Borden used the machine on himself until we find that Tesla never built the machine in the first place.

I read the novel before watching the movie so I never did see it in that view. It's certainly an interesting "misdirection" and I can think back to the scenes and figure how Nolan manage to put that form of concept to the viewers. Pretty interesting!

Erik wrote:Yeah, I actually thought the same.

This was exactly the way I interpreted the story.

another quote that sticks out after rewatching it multiple times

"noone else can do my trick"

this is what Borden tells Cutter when he gets teased about inventing a great trick himself

George89 wrote:
Erik wrote:Actress Rebecca Hall stated in the special features on the DVD that the line wasn't in the script and she just said it. While she thought she had given away the ending of the movie, Nolan decided to keep it in the movie.
See that line made me think Borden was a clone. I know it was ad-libbed, but she should have said "I know who you are" instead of "I know what you are"
I think she meant that she knew what kind of person Borden was after switching places with his twin and how Fallon Borden was treating her

dagn96 wrote:
George89 wrote:
I think she meant that she knew what kind of person Borden was after switching places with his twin and how Fallon Borden was treating her

Right, I know that now. But while watching the movie and I had a hunch he was a clone, her line sort of cemented my idea.

Borden performs the trick for Angier and Cutter a first time without using the tesla technology. He only begins using it after that convention... thus indicating that the method is not tesla. I was so wrapped up in Angier's logic that I neglected to remember that important detail.

I think the point is that The Prestige is a metaphor about movie making. We as viewers of the film are just like witness of a magic trick. The movie is the trick and we like to be foolish by the movie maker. We don't see because we wont to.
Like in The sixth sense or The usual suspects...or Memento...or Following.
And that's the beautiful about movies...good movies...great movies. Christopher Nolan's movies.

I actually thought the film was a metaphor about the existence of God.