David Julyan's Score in The Prestige

The 2006 film about rival magicians desperately trying to learn the secrets of each others tricks.
What do you guys think of his score in The Prestige?
At times I think it really fits nicely, but it also remains frustratingly low-key at other points as well.

George wrote:What do you guys think of his score in The Prestige?
At times I think it really fits nicely, but it also remains frustratingly low-key at other points as well.
My problem is that it isn't really as memorable as the TDK one or the one from Begins, the one from Memento and probably the one from Inception (by what I've heard from the trailers).

prince0gotham wrote:
George wrote:What do you guys think of his score in The Prestige?
My problem is that it isn't really as memorable as the TDK one or the one from Begins, the one from Memento and probably the one from Inception (by what I've heard from the trailers).
The trailer music for Inception isn't going to be part of the film's score (with the exception of the big gong-like sounds).

I had similar issues with the Memento score, though. It works nicely within the context of the film (for the most part), but it never really kicks in when it feels like it should.

I think it's pretty bland.

Not memorable.

He did great on the Memento and Following's score though.

Personally I think the music for the Prestige isn't much to write about, but I think the soundtrack was purposefully written that way because I think it was meant to supplement the visuals and not be anymore overt. So I think the music remains to be the brooding atmospheric kind.

When I first listened to the soundtrack, I didn't watch the movie and I thought it was really bland. But after I saw the movie, I started to enjoy the soundtrack more, primarily because it reminds me of the images of the movie. Just my two cents.

not a good score

It was good but th other work that he has done is better

I think is good, but is far too consistent, it doesn't change very much...
could have been stronger, more significant.

I think his score has a good presence actually on screen and compliments the film very well, but truth is I consider it more of a mood piece as opposed to a score you can listen to on its own. I think it works as something to accompany the film more than anything.