David Julyan's Score in The Prestige

The 2006 film about rival magicians desperately trying to learn the secrets of each others tricks.
Julyan's works fits more for soundtracks based on the atmosphere of the movie.. something in background, which maybe won't be remembered by the audience, but surely gives to the movie that something that makes it a complete experience.
Zimmer is known for epic scores, and on the opposite of his colleague he makes impressive melodies which stay in the audience's mind, something that even prevails on frames in certain scenes...

...I think it would be nice to hear David Julyan in future Nolan movies, but when you get such a composer as Hans Zimmer, it's difficult to say no and call someone else :)

sorry for my bad English.

The score is perfect. It's haunting, suspenseful, and fits the film perfectly. It really captures the obsession of the two characters.

Best thing Julyan's done IMO.

steveportee wrote:Best thing Julyan's done IMO.
I'd say the track "Opening Title" from Memento is his best work to be honest.

it's a great score, it has the same quality as the batman scores.

It did it's job well(expressing emotion and tone through music to accentuate the feelings shown on screen) but that's the absolute minimum requirements for a film composition.
It created no real theme, and was not memorable at all.
I'm glad Nolan made the switch.
Hopefully Julyan can compose himself (haha!) by then.

Lord Caldlow wrote:I think his score has a good presence actually on screen and compliments the film very well, but truth is I consider it more of a mood piece as opposed to a score you can listen to on its own. I think it works as something to accompany the film more than anything.
"I think it works as something to accompany the film more than anything"

Well duh gentlemen - that's what a functional film score is. And the score works great ...in the film.

BTW if you liked his score to Following / MEMENTO / Insomnia / The Prestige then you should check out his (excellent,thematic) score to Drew Goddard's THE CABIN IN THE WOODS.

paynewake wrote: "I think it works as something to accompany the film more than anything"

Well duh gentlemen - that's what a functional film score is. And the score works great ...in the film.
Yes, but AMAZING scores go beyond the need to help the scene function, and to create memorable themes associated with certain scenes.
It's a functional score, but a mediocre one at that.

I loved the score... It gets me every time.

I don't know why, but there is Hans Zimmer name in the end credits.