David Julyan's Score in The Prestige

The 2006 film about rival magicians desperately trying to learn the secrets of each others tricks.
atilasantos wrote:I don't know why, but there is Hans Zimmer name in the end credits.
I googled it and it seems like he was the music producer.

The Prestige's Score is brilliant, . It holds the movie together with the going back and forth in the narrative, the complex plot, the futility of their one upmanship. The heartbeat pounding as Borden goes under the stage to observe Angiers second act of his pledge. I was illegally downloading this score before my computer broke down darn it. This is probably my favorite of all of the Scores of Nolans films. My hick town does'nt sell it in its already limited soundtrack section (Wal-Mart's mexican tequila drinking spanish section boom boxing speakers is 3 times bigger) They have a problem with my listening to Movie Scores and then they want to get into my mind where does it all end :shh: :problem: :roll: :neutral: :eh:

While The Prestige doesn't have the best score in Nolan's filmography, having a bombastic score more in line with most of the other films...I couldn't picture it really working in this film. It's low-key and generally out-of-the-way.

I like it, but I think Hans Zimmer would have done better.

atilasantos wrote:I like it, but I think Hans Zimmer would have done better.
I disagree. David Julyan's style was perfect for this movie. Zimmer is better for Nolan's action movie endeavors, Julyan is great at creating eerie electronic music that fit the mood of Chris' non-action movies work perfectly.

My opinion hasn't changed.
It did it's job well(expressing emotion and tone through music to accentuate the feelings shown on screen) but that's the absolute minimum requirements for a film composition.
It created no real theme, and was not memorable at all.
I'm glad Nolan made the switch.
Hopefully Julyan can compose himself (haha!) by then.
/thread

I can't seem to find the Score anywhere! Does anyone have a copy of The Prestige's Score?

If you don't feel something through Adagio for Julia, Sacrifice, or The Prestige on this score, I don't know what's wrong with you. This score is beautifully subtle and heartbreaking and is actually incredibly ambitious I feel. The more and more you watch this film, the more the score gets darker and existential as do the events of the film. Hands down, Nolan's best and most disciplined film. Don't get me wrong, I love all of Nolan's work, but The Prestige just disturbs me on so many levels. I never have a problem giving the film or the score a spin.

LiberNovus wrote:The Prestige is Julyan's best soundtrack for a Nolan film in my opinion. Such wonderful subtlety to accompany the story.
A remastered version of the album can be grabbed here:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8642244/The.Pr ... Julyan.zip
Anyone have a working link? Every few months I find myself searching for the album and for some reason it never occurred to me to have a look here!
cartman3289 wrote:If you don't feel something through Adagio for Julia, Sacrifice, or The Prestige on this score, I don't know what's wrong with you. This score is beautifully subtle and heartbreaking and is actually incredibly ambitious I feel. The more and more you watch this film, the more the score gets darker and existential as do the events of the film. Hands down, Nolan's best and most disciplined film. Don't get me wrong, I love all of Nolan's work, but The Prestige just disturbs me on so many levels. I never have a problem giving the film or the score a spin.
I feel the same way.