Nolan's Best Film?

The 2006 film about rival magicians desperately trying to learn the secrets of each others tricks.
Clown wrote: but it isn't as unique/entertaining/iconic as memento,inception,tdk
BULLSHIT

it's the most unique one.

the way the story gets told i very unique.

BatMotor wrote:
Clown wrote: but it isn't as unique/entertaining/iconic as memento,inception,tdk
BULLSHIT

it's the most unique one.

the way the story gets told i very unique.
My bad.i must have mentioned that i was talking about the concept.

This was the first "Nolan" film I ever saw , before this film I didn't even know who Nolan was ,I had not seen Memento and insomnia. Ofcourse, in those days India was mostly bombarded with "Summer blockbusters" type of Hollywood films and I too was ignorant ...
Anyways, I was totally taken by the way the Story unfolded, the complexity of the characters, their Conflicts , and we get tangled in them too... towards the end you dont really know who is "good" or who is "bad" ...
I also saw the Illusionist , it didnt even come close to the Prestige .

ravi.or.raj wrote:This was the first "Nolan" film I ever saw , before this film I didn't even know who Nolan was ,I had not seen Memento and insomnia. Ofcourse, in those days India was mostly bombarded with "Summer blockbusters" type of Hollywood films and I too was ignorant ...
Anyways, I was totally taken by the way the Story unfolded, the complexity of the characters, their Conflicts , and we get tangled in them too... towards the end you dont really know who is "good" or who is "bad" ...
I also saw the Illusionist , it didnt even come close to the Prestige .
Everyone always compares the Illusionist to the Prestige; understanddibly so seeing as they both came out the same year and they're both about magicians. All the same, I don't think The Illusionist compares. All of the elements that made the Prestige great; such as the rivalry between borden Borden & Angier and the nonlinear plot structure; are lacking from the Illusionist.

Bottom line, The Prestige Rocks :twothumbsup:

This is my favourite Nolan film,with Batman Begins a close second.Great movie.

I can't say the Prestige is the "best film I've ever seen", even if :innolanwetrust: well, there's plenty of wonderful films that we movies buffs have to consider.
But, in anyway: The Prestige is still one of my fav films of all time and my fav Nolan film. Perfect cast, perfect cinematography, perfect intrigue...
I guess Nolan's nickname "Mandrake" ain't really innocent... He must be quite interested in magic, and maybe that's why he seemed so inspired for this film.

And Christian Bale's performance :twothumbsup:

Definitely dug Bale more here than in the two Batman movies...so far. Great performance. :modesty:

I have to say, this is one of the few films that I enjoy more and more with each viewing. The first time I saw it I wasn't very experienced in my analysis and interpretation of cinema. However, after viewing it a second time a few months ago and a third time last week, I have been able to recognize the brilliance of the movie. Usually when a film contains a jaw dropping twist it is dependent on the twist and ultimately fails to compel the viewer in multiple viewings. The Prestige is one of those few films that contains a twist but does not LIVE by the twist. The twist simply builds upon the plot and while one of the most compelling elements of the film, The Prestige contains much more depth than some simple shock and wonder.

Addicted2Movies wrote:I have to say, this is one of the few films that I enjoy more and more with each viewing. The first time I saw it I wasn't very experienced in my analysis and interpretation of cinema. However, after viewing it a second time a few months ago and a third time last week, I have been able to recognize the brilliance of the movie. Usually when a film contains a jaw dropping twist it is dependent on the twist and ultimately fails to compel the viewer in multiple viewings. The Prestige is one of those few films that contains a twist but does not LIVE by the twist. The twist simply builds upon the plot and while one of the most compelling elements of the film, The Prestige contains much more depth than some simple shock and wonder.
Nolan tends to pull that off with his films, he keeps you guessing throughout, causing you to always look for the answer. It isn't until a second viewing that you realize the depth of the film that you missed will looking for the secret. All his films are incredibly rewatchable for me and that is why I consider him my favorite director.

theweatherman wrote:
Addicted2Movies wrote:I have to say, this is one of the few films that I enjoy more and more with each viewing. The first time I saw it I wasn't very experienced in my analysis and interpretation of cinema. However, after viewing it a second time a few months ago and a third time last week, I have been able to recognize the brilliance of the movie. Usually when a film contains a jaw dropping twist it is dependent on the twist and ultimately fails to compel the viewer in multiple viewings. The Prestige is one of those few films that contains a twist but does not LIVE by the twist. The twist simply builds upon the plot and while one of the most compelling elements of the film, The Prestige contains much more depth than some simple shock and wonder.
Nolan tends to pull that off with his films, he keeps you guessing throughout, causing you to always look for the answer. It isn't until a second viewing that you realize the depth of the film that you missed will looking for the secret. All his films are incredibly rewatchable for me and that is why I consider him my favorite director.
Yeah, I consider he and JJ the cream of the crop in modern cinema; for different reasons of course.