The Nolan Fans Awesome Scale: The Prestige

The 2006 film about rival magicians desperately trying to learn the secrets of each others tricks.

How Awesome was The Prestige?

100% Awesome
62%
90% Awesome
25%
80% Awesome
10%
70% Awesome
2%
60% Awesome
0%
50% Awesome
No votes
40% Awesome
No votes
30% Awesome
No votes
20% Awesome
No votes
10% Awesome
No votes
0% Awesome
No votes

Total votes: 234

I've watched this movie like a thousand times and every time I watch it,it gives me chills. Since the opening line 'Are you watching closely' till the end this movie is pure genius.

I'd give it an 8/10 . Great flick, but like some Nolan films lacks emotional resonance. It's a well crafted, fascinating story and entertaining throughout. This is one of Nolan's best movies for sure.

A 9/10 alongside The Dark Knight. Was one of the films that made me interested in the screenplay aspects of movies.

Reading the screenplay of the Nolans and comparing that to both professional and amateur screenplays, makes me appreciate the use of space on a page. Despite their scripts being generally on the long side, you tend to find little wasted scenes or dialogue. Everything is deliberate and The Prestige is a fantastic example of that. Every scene presents a mystery or clue and adds so much to the replay value.

Never get enough of this one.

90%

100%
If I had to pick Nolan's best movie so far, this would be it. A masterpiece, and it's slowly becoming a classic. It's the most Nolany Nolan movie.

I'm not as keen on the film as others seem to be. Although I think it is very well written with great performances, I thought it was a bit messy. One of his lesser films (which is a compliment - his standard is so high). Just my opinion.

stanley wrote:I'd give it an 8/10 . Great flick, but like some Nolan films lacks emotional resonance. It's a well crafted, fascinating story and entertaining throughout. This is one of Nolan's best movies for sure.
Couldn't disagree more. There's a lot of emotion in the film... but as with all of his movies, he doesn't hit you over the head with it. I think about the scene where Rebecca Hall's argument with one of the Borden's and the daughter is listening in the hallway. It's not all weepy, but the pain in that scene was palpable to me, and I thought a brutally visceral portrayal of what was going on with Borden and the earth he scorched in his personal life.. and that was underscored by the other Borden (Fallon) showing such empathy and control with the daughter listening in the hallway. The emotional toll their sacrifice took on them was so evident in that scene, but it's all there for you to delve into. Great stuff.

Robbman wrote:
stanley wrote:I'd give it an 8/10 . Great flick, but like some Nolan films lacks emotional resonance. It's a well crafted, fascinating story and entertaining throughout. This is one of Nolan's best movies for sure.
Couldn't disagree more. There's a lot of emotion in the film... but as with all of his movies, he doesn't hit you over the head with it. I think about the scene where Rebecca Hall's argument with one of the Borden's and the daughter is listening in the hallway. It's not all weepy, but the pain in that scene was palpable to me, and I thought a brutally visceral portrayal of what was going on with Borden and the earth he scorched in his personal life.. and that was underscored by the other Borden (Fallon) showing such empathy and control with the daughter listening in the hallway. The emotional toll their sacrifice took on them was so evident in that scene, but it's all there for you to delve into. Great stuff.
You have picked up on one of the biggest clues in the movie - but no one is getting it's significance - it all comes down to - ARE YOU WATCHING CLOSELY?

One of my favourite movies. When u watch it, u're like live there with characters

Best film ever!!
Last edited by Master Virgo on February 2nd, 2018, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Double posting