What flaws do you see in Batman Begins.

Christopher's 2005 reboot of the Batman franchise that tells the origins of how Bruce Wayne became Batman.
I see none, blind like a bat, and proud of it.

IMO, Batman Begins is perfect the first 2/3 of the movie. Once the Microwave Emitter gets involved, I take off some points from the movie because the entire device makes no sense and is I feel the biggest plot hole in the entire trilogy.

Oh yeah, one small nitpick I had: I didn't like how after "I'm Batman," they had to throw in a humorous line of "Nice coat"...like really?

Overall, I still give the movie a 9/10

This is a minor point, but Batman's suit - the head especially - was a bit stiff on him. I love the joking reference to this in the 2nd film when Fox and Wayne are looking at a redesign of the suit and Fox says, "so you want to be able to turn your head".

Needs way more Cillian Murphy. Needs way less Katie Holmes.

Also, Gotham as a city doesn't feel quite...I dunno, real enough here? It seems kind of cramped and stagebound; the Narrows, in particular, feel and look like a set. This problem would, thankfully, be cleared up almost immediately in TDK, wherein the city's scope is given room to breathe Gotham's verisimilitude seems unquestionable.

Amelia wrote:Needs way more Cillian Murphy. Needs way less Katie Holmes.

Also, Gotham as a city doesn't feel quite...I dunno, real enough here? It seems kind of cramped and stagebound; the Narrows, in particular, feel and look like a set. This problem would, thankfully, be cleared up almost immediately in TDK, wherein the city's scope is given room to breathe Gotham's verisimilitude seems unquestionable.
Yeah, but the crazy claustrophobia aids the film quite a lot. I mean, Blade Runner 'looks' like a set, but so what?

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:Yeah, but the crazy claustrophobia aids the film quite a lot. I mean, Blade Runner 'looks' like a set, but so what?
That's true, but I'd argue that Blade Runner's set-bound feel is more a case of deliberate stylization, whereas here it feels more as if Nolan was attempting a BR effect, then realized it didn't really work for his purposes and summarily scrapped it. It absolutely doesn't make Begins a failure or anything, but it is occasionally a bit distracting.

Wait, Blade Runner looks like a set? I think Blade Runner is one of the best realised worlds in cinema. Gotham in BB feels a bit cheap at times, like I could walk to every major area in the film within a 100 metre radius.
Do you... like pineapple?

Avatar Korra wrote:IMO, Batman Begins is perfect the first 2/3 of the movie. Once the Microwave Emitter gets involved, I take off some points from the movie because the entire device makes no sense and is I feel the biggest plot hole in the entire trilogy.

Oh yeah, one small nitpick I had: I didn't like how after "I'm Batman," they had to throw in a humorous line of "Nice coat"...like really?

Overall, I still give the movie a 9/10

I actually like the microwave emitter. It doesn't make sense if you think about it too hard but I felt it was a different kind of device and creative. "Nice coat" is one of the humorous lines in the trilogy that doesn't bother me. I could do without almost every other cheesy line in the film though like "can you drive stick" and "I gotta get me one of those." But at the same time all those cheesy lines I complain about in the trilogy have led to some fun and amusing conversations. And for the most part they don't take that much away from the films credibility.

If I do have a gripe it's that the film could have used more Scarecrow/Crane. And while I like that he disappeared, perhaps there could have been a little more action from him before Katie zaps him into the night. And I definitely prefer The Dark Knight suit. I don't really like the Begins suit at all actually. At some angles it looks fantastic but when I get a good look at it, it appears bulky and cheap. That's what I love about the TDK suit. It holds up even in broad daylight. He couldn't have worn the Begins suit in the interrogation room with Joker or facing Bane in front of City Hall.

jibran wrote:Wait, Blade Runner looks like a set? I think Blade Runner is one of the best realised worlds in cinema. Gotham in BB feels a bit cheap at times, like I could walk to every major area in the film within a 100 metre radius.
Batman Begins's Gotham was very similar to Blade Runner IMO

I see dead people.