Dormer in the Fog

This 2002 remake of a Norwegian film follows a Los Angeles homicide detective dispatched to Alaska to investigate the murder of a local teen.

Did Dormer intentionally shoot Hap in the fog scene?

Yes
16%
No
84%

Total votes: 44

I'm interested to hear what people think about this issue that's fairly central to the film's story and is still left ambiguous even when Dormer is asked about it at the end by Ellie. When watching it do you view Dormer as intentionally killing his partner Hap or doing it accidentally due to the fog?

I think it was an accident.

Accident as well.

Even though Dormer hated the guy, I don't think he would've purposely shot him.

I'm saving my next rewatch of Insomnia for when it releases on blu-ray, but I was thinking about it and i'm not quite sure which option makes the film more interesting.

If it was an accident, he would probably be more sympathetic toward Walter Finch's attempts to pin his Kay murder as an accident.
If it was intentional, it displays his deepening commitment to the ends justifying the means.

George wrote:I'm saving my next rewatch of Insomnia for when it releases on blu-ray, but I was thinking about it and i'm not quite sure which option makes the film more interesting.

If it was an accident, he would probably be more sympathetic toward Walter Finch's attempts to pin his Kay murder as an accident.
If it was intentional, it displays his deepening commitment to the ends justifying the means.
Is it in bad form to say my next rewatch will be in a theater with Nolan doing a Q & A this weekend? :)

Kyle Higgins wrote: Is it in bad form to say my next rewatch will be in a theater with Nolan doing a Q & A this weekend? :)
I don't know that its bad form, but you likely made some enemies.

I do think as well that He shot his partner on accident. I think it is essential that it is left ambiguous however because like us, Dormer himself, was unsure of his true intentions. His fear and the onset of Insomnia clouded his senses and made it difficult to determine reality from his imagination. He certainly had motive to kill Hap, but I don't think he did it on purpose.

Kyle Higgins wrote:
George wrote:I'm saving my next rewatch of Insomnia for when it releases on blu-ray, but I was thinking about it and i'm not quite sure which option makes the film more interesting.

Is it in bad form to say my next rewatch will be in a theater with Nolan doing a Q & A this weekend? :)
Oh you're going to the Hero Complex Film Festival? :thumbup:

Just be sure to let us know how the Q&A goes :D

George wrote:
Kyle Higgins wrote:

Oh you're going to the Hero Complex Film Festival? :thumbup:

Just be sure to let us know how the Q&A goes :D
Definitely. Will do.

I think it's not intentional. Dormer had what I perceived to be conscience attacks from shooting Hap, but even though people can argue that he may have later built up regret for the shot, Dormer while at the scene of the shooting immediately tried to contain the injury that Hap sustained from the gunshot. Just my two cents on it.

I think it was consciously unintentional, but I also think he wouldn't really care who was out there in the fog, he would have done it anyway,