Question about Memento (possible spoiler)

The famous 2000 film that put Christopher Nolan on the map tells the story of a man on the hunt for the man he thinks killed his wife.
DHOPW42 wrote:
Eternalist wrote:
DHOPW42 wrote:How can you be sure that Leonard was lying to himself to do that? I mean we only know that information from Teddy, but what if Teddy was the one who lied to Leonard? We can't know that :D
I never thought of that :shock:
You see? In fact that's the way I see the movie. We can be only as sure as Lenny.
Agreed.

That's a good point, Leonard didn't know he was lying to himself, the way I see it, he always did what he did because he thought it was the right thing to do, now, the fact that he might have done some nasty shit and killed a lot of "innocent" people is irrelevant for him given the fact that he couldn't remember any of this.
Only at the end he decided to lye to himself, but right after the fade out the lie becomes real and we start all over again.
If this happened to me, and I somehow managed to make a system I would never know if Im lying to myself to believe my life has a meaning and a propose like Leonard did. probably I would, everyone needs a reason to live, even if it's a lie, you can see this everywhere you look.
:think:

I don't trust Teddy, but Leonard also made a game for himself when he crossed out details on the reports. At the end/beginning he says "youre my new John G" so really, if I was leonard, speaking from lennys perspective, he would never enjoy it, or remember it if he got hold of 'the killer' and he couldnt live with the fact that HE was the killer...HE killed his wife with the insulin.

If I knew that...If I was leonard, I would do everything I could to escape that truth.

yeap, very difficult to tell the difference between the truth and the truth you make when you have anterograde amnesia
:problem:

I think that he just want his life to have some sort of purpose, that's why he is "willingly" to alter stuffs to keep the purpose alive, and he wouldn't feel weird because he will forget about it after that...all he remembered was he has to avenge his wife (ironically, he told Teddy that memories can't be trusted, and yet he is trusting the false memory of his)

yeah, that's true, everyone needs a purpose
"I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah. We all need mirrors to remind ourselves who we are. I'm no different."
8-)

He doesn't put himself on a quest. He is put onto it by Catharine, Teddy 1, Teddy 2 and Teddy 3. When Natalie finaly sets him free, the quest-thing has sunk so deep in his memory that when he is resetted (by having sex with Natalie) he accidently kills her. Only in the third Mental Hospital, when he realizes this quest was the only thing in live that ever gave him any joy, he puts himself on the quest and sets the reverted tattoo on his chest. See also my post 'The true chronological story of Memento' for the full story.