Easily, my favourite film of all time

The famous 2000 film that put Christopher Nolan on the map tells the story of a man on the hunt for the man he thinks killed his wife.
rewatched it tonight...
it's unbelievable how events and facts keep turning during the movie, you really can't tell what is really going on, and when you think you'll get closer to a sort of explanation, because the story is coming to an end (well, actually to the beginning..), you get nothing but more doubts.
amazing... everytime i try to figure out how Chris could have written something like this and put it on screen I end getting a strong headache...
OVERMAN wrote:This film is the reason why I want to be a filmmaker.
:)
true.. probably same as mine :thumbup:

AAA
My favourite movie to. It's so quotable, so intelligent, and keeps you thinking way longer than other Nolan films (as much as I adore them).

I watched it again last night, know I cant tell why it is still one of my favorite films of all time. I want to make a film like this when I get into the industry, but it will never be as good as Nolan's

Smartest film I've ever seen. Intellectually, emotionally and artistically executed. This is Nolan's best. Though TDK is my favorite of all-time.
The twist delivers a different routine - a twist in the protagonist's motive. Typical twists just work on plot level. But the one we saw on Memento does get to the heart of the character. There is so much subtlety on the film. For example, why did Lenny wants a whore in his room? Why did he wanted to relive that memory of his wife? Is it for his wife? For his vengeance?
Or is it for himself? Because memories is the only thing that triggers emotion. He needs a purpose in his life. He needs to relive one of the most vivid memories of his in order to feel that he's still living. See? The film is not about his revenge for his WIFE. But revenge for HIMSELF

hoppity-kick wrote:Smartest film I've ever seen. Intellectually, emotionally and artistically executed. This is Nolan's best. Though TDK is my favorite of all-time.
The twist delivers a different routine - a twist in the protagonist's motive. Typical twists just work on plot level. But the one we saw on Memento does get to the heart of the character. There is so much subtlety on the film. For example, why did Lenny wants a whore in his room? Why did he wanted to relive that memory of his wife? Is it for his wife? For his vengeance?
Or is it for himself? Because memories is the only thing that triggers emotion. He needs a purpose in his life. He needs to relive one of the most vivid memories of his in order to feel that he's still living. See? The film is not about his revenge for his WIFE. But revenge for HIMSELF
It was meant for him to realize her side of the bed was cold aka that she is really gone and he has to remember that.

I watched this film for the first time on DVD with a friend of mine, and neither one of us said a word until after it was over. The second that the screen went black, we jabbered away for an hour about the plot and how flippin' brilliant it was. I consider "Memento" to be one of Nolan's three masterpieces (along with "Inception" and "The Dark Knight"), and it is also his most intelligent and thought-provoking. There is simply no other film like it.

TotemCheck21 wrote:I watched this film for the first time on DVD with a friend of mine, and neither one of us said a word until after it was over. The second that the screen went black, we jabbered away for an hour about the plot and how flippin' brilliant it was. I consider "Memento" to be one of Nolan's three masterpieces (along with "Inception" and "The Dark Knight"), and it is also his most intelligent and thought-provoking. There is simply no other film like it.
If you and your friend loved Memento, try Primer and Mullholland Drive fella :)

rbevanx wrote:
TotemCheck21 wrote:I watched this film for the first time on DVD with a friend of mine, and neither one of us said a word until after it was over. The second that the screen went black, we jabbered away for an hour about the plot and how flippin' brilliant it was. I consider "Memento" to be one of Nolan's three masterpieces (along with "Inception" and "The Dark Knight"), and it is also his most intelligent and thought-provoking. There is simply no other film like it.
Haven't seen Primer, but I did see Mulholland Drive. I know this is a pretty unpopular opinion towards that movie, but I wasn't a big fan. It certainly had a great plot and all, and the twists were good. But for some reason, it just didn't stand out to me. I didn't think it was visually interesting in any way, and the story never enthralled me. Who knows, maybe I need to watch it again. I respect it, just not a personal favorite.

However, there is a priceless scene where the guy comes home and finds his wife cheating on him. He sees her and doesn't say a word. Instead, he simply nods and grabs her jewelry box, goes out to the garage, grabs a can of pink paint, and she comes into the kitchen to find him smearing paint all over her jewelry. She's flipping out, yet he still isn't saying a word. He finishes his deed and leaves. Absolutely EPIC

TotemCheck21 wrote:
rbevanx wrote:
Haven't seen Primer, but I did see Mulholland Drive. I know this is a pretty unpopular opinion towards that movie, but I wasn't a big fan. It certainly had a great plot and all, and the twists were good. But for some reason, it just didn't stand out to me. I didn't think it was visually interesting in any way, and the story never enthralled me. Who knows, maybe I need to watch it again. I respect it, just not a personal favorite.

However, there is a priceless scene where the guy comes home and finds his wife cheating on him. He sees her and doesn't say a word. Instead, he simply nods and grabs her jewelry box, goes out to the garage, grabs a can of pink paint, and she comes into the kitchen to find him smearing paint all over her jewelry. She's flipping out, yet he still isn't saying a word. He finishes his deed and leaves. Absolutely EPIC
Yeah Muholland Drive can be a marmite film but it is worth checking out if anyone else is reading this and the same with Primer. But Primer works with a certain structure like Memento. Memento uses the narrative to get you in the head of someone with no memory and Primer does this with time travel.

TotemCheck21 wrote:I consider "Memento" to be one of Nolan's three masterpieces (along with "Inception" and "The Dark Knight"), and it is also his most intelligent and thought-provoking. There is simply no other film like it.
I concur. TDK, MEMENTO and INCEPTION is Nolan's masterpieces.