The Nolan Fans Awesome Scale: Memento

The famous 2000 film that put Christopher Nolan on the map tells the story of a man on the hunt for the man he thinks killed his wife.

How Awesome was Memento?

100% Awesome
71%
90% Awesome
19%
80% Awesome
8%
70% Awesome
1%
60% Awesome
0%
50% Awesome
No votes
40% Awesome
No votes
30% Awesome
No votes
20% Awesome
No votes
10% Awesome
No votes
0% Awesome
No votes

Total votes: 231

It's Nolan's 5th best movie.

steveportee wrote:It's Nolan's 5th best movie.
You go to hell.You go to hell and die,

IMO, it's Nolan's second or third movie. TDK is his best, but idk whether Inception is better than Memento, I have to rewatch it.

But Memento has the best Nolan screenplay, by far.

I re-watched it twice recently after seeing it once a few years ago and it has sailed up as probably my favorite Nolan film, which had been and still kinda is (but in another way) TDK. But I discovered now that Memento is so much more than just it's twist and unique storytelling (even though it's brilliant). And the first times you see it you use your brain so much you forget your feelings. It is a super-smart film and the way it is constructed is fantastic but it is also an emotionally rewarding film with alot of great and quotable dialogue and/or individual lines. First time you see it, it blows your mind. But it gets even more rewarding upon repeated viewings.

Guy Pierce is just fantastic. An understated performance. He makes it with small- gestures, mimics and phrasings. A beautiful performance.

Editing is great and visually it's stunning. Love the light colors combined with the film noir feeling of the story, great contrast. Also love the repeated use and/or combo of light brown and light blue. Gives the movie a special feel, a floating feeling which adds to the no sense of time theme.

Music is sparse but hugely effective when used. As in the brilliant opening scene,quickly setting the mode. In the scene where Lenny wonders how he can ever heal (maybe my favorite scene, it's beautiful) and of course the ending.

10/10

:goNF:

Melack wrote:I re-watched it twice recently after seeing it once a few years ago and it has sailed up as probably my favorite Nolan film, which had been and still kinda is (but in another way) TDK. But I discovered now that Memento is so much more than just it's twist and unique storytelling (even though it's brilliant). And the first times you see it you use your brain so much you forget your feelings. It is a super-smart film and the way it is constructed is fantastic but it is also an emotionally rewarding film with alot of great and quotable dialogue and/or individual lines. First time you see it, it blows your mind. But it gets even more rewarding upon repeated viewings.

Guy Pierce is just fantastic. An understated performance. He makes it with small- gestures, mimics and phrasings. A beautiful performance.

Editing is great and visually it's stunning. Love the light colors combined with the film noir feeling of the story, great contrast. Also love the repeated use and/or combo of light brown and light blue. Gives the movie a special feel, a floating feeling which adds to the no sense of time theme.

Music is sparse but hugely effective when used. As in the brilliant opening scene,quickly setting the mode. In the scene where Lenny wonders how he can ever heal (maybe my favorite scene, it's beautiful) and of course the ending.

10/10

:goNF:
:clap:

Chewy Frenchman.
Last edited by Cop 223 on February 10th, 2015, 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Watched it for 6th time just now. Easily Nolan's best film and my favorite film of all time. It just gets so much better if you forget some parts of the film and then rediscover them at once. Damn you Nolan! :goNF:

NolanFan528491 wrote:Watched it for 6th time just now. Easily Nolan's best film and my favorite film of all time. It just gets so much better if you forget some parts of the film and then rediscover them at once. Damn you Nolan! :goNF:
:clap: :clap: :clap:

The narrative structure blew my mind and was a lot of fun putting it together. The opening sequence in reverse is genius. Outstanding Nolan brothers work.