TV Spots

Christopher Nolan's action triller about the WWII story commonly known as The Miracle at Dunkirk. July 21, 2017.
Post Reply
User avatar
Oku
Posts: 3044
Joined: May 2012
So...news dropped that Game of Thrones season 7 is premiering July 16.

July 16. That's the Sunday before Dunkirk's opening Friday, July 21.

And HBO and Warner Bros. are both owned by Time Warner...

Do you see where I'm going with this??

There's going to be a huge audience tuning in to the season premiere--an audience that loves GoT's serious tone and epic scale, both things that Dunkirk will offer.

It would be a perfect opportunity for a Dunkirk TV spot to be aired then.

Or heck, go all out--maybe an entire two-minute trailer, or even a five-minute featurette.

Who else agrees? :D

Posts: 327
Joined: May 2016
But its HBO and a lot of people dont get hbo, so seems like it wouldn't reach a large audience, not as much as prime time standard channels anyway

Posts: 528
Joined: November 2014
Location: Hamming it up on the set of Dunkirk!
okungnyo wrote:So...news dropped that Game of Thrones season 7 is premiering July 16.

July 16. That's the Sunday before Dunkirk's opening Friday, July 21.

And HBO and Warner Bros. are both owned by Time Warner...

Do you see where I'm going with this??

There's going to be a huge audience tuning in to the season premiere--an audience that loves GoT's serious tone and epic scale, both things that Dunkirk will offer.

It would be a perfect opportunity for a Dunkirk TV spot to be aired then.

Or heck, go all out--maybe an entire two-minute trailer, or even a five-minute featurette.

Who else agrees? :D
They don't air tv spots for random upcoming movies on HBO. Spots will commence very soon and by july there will already be enough of them to make us sick.

User avatar
Oku
Posts: 3044
Joined: May 2012
Shady1 wrote:But its HBO and a lot of people dont get hbo, so seems like it wouldn't reach a large audience, not as much as prime time standard channels anyway
Yeah, but target audience overlap is more important than pure audience numbers.

Put it this way, if you were a candy company, would you air your ad to the channel that has 100 million adult viewers, or 10 million children viewers?
genloovers wrote:
okungnyo wrote:So...news dropped that Game of Thrones season 7 is premiering July 16.

July 16. That's the Sunday before Dunkirk's opening Friday, July 21.

And HBO and Warner Bros. are both owned by Time Warner...

Do you see where I'm going with this??

There's going to be a huge audience tuning in to the season premiere--an audience that loves GoT's serious tone and epic scale, both things that Dunkirk will offer.

It would be a perfect opportunity for a Dunkirk TV spot to be aired then.

Or heck, go all out--maybe an entire two-minute trailer, or even a five-minute featurette.

Who else agrees? :D
They don't air tv spots for random upcoming movies on HBO. Spots will commence very soon and by july there will already be enough of them to make us sick.
They could possibly make an exception, for the reasons I listed in the original post.

Posts: 528
Joined: November 2014
Location: Hamming it up on the set of Dunkirk!
okungnyo wrote:
Shady1 wrote:But its HBO and a lot of people dont get hbo, so seems like it wouldn't reach a large audience, not as much as prime time standard channels anyway
Yeah, but target audience overlap is more important than pure audience numbers.

Put it this way, if you were a candy company, would you air your ad to the channel that has 100 million adult viewers, or 10 million children viewers?
genloovers wrote:
okungnyo wrote:So...news dropped that Game of Thrones season 7 is premiering July 16.

July 16. That's the Sunday before Dunkirk's opening Friday, July 21.

And HBO and Warner Bros. are both owned by Time Warner...

Do you see where I'm going with this??

There's going to be a huge audience tuning in to the season premiere--an audience that loves GoT's serious tone and epic scale, both things that Dunkirk will offer.

It would be a perfect opportunity for a Dunkirk TV spot to be aired then.

Or heck, go all out--maybe an entire two-minute trailer, or even a five-minute featurette.

Who else agrees? :D
They don't air tv spots for random upcoming movies on HBO. Spots will commence very soon and by july there will already be enough of them to make us sick.
They could possibly make an exception, for the reasons I listed in the original post.
Dude, they would accomplish nothing by airing spots on HBO. They air spots on local stations and cable which reaches just about every demographic there is out there.

User avatar
Oku
Posts: 3044
Joined: May 2012
genloovers wrote:
okungnyo wrote:Yeah, but target audience overlap is more important than pure audience numbers.

Put it this way, if you were a candy company, would you air your ad to the channel that has 100 million adult viewers, or 10 million children viewers?

They could possibly make an exception, for the reasons I listed in the original post.
Dude, they would accomplish nothing by airing spots on HBO. They air spots on local stations and cable which reaches just about every demographic there is out there.
All right, all right. Dreams crushed.

Posts: 2546
Joined: June 2016
Game of Thrones has decent viewership - had 8.9 million for last season's finale. However, I don't know if it has ads.

For comparison, example viewers for a May week, the top viewed in the US were:
1. CBS’s “NCIS” 14.16 million; 2. NBC’s “This Is Us” 12.84 million; 3. NBC’s “The Voice-Monday” 12.18 million; 4. NBC’s “The Voice-Tuesday” 11.71 million; 5. CBS’s “60 Minutes” 10.85 million.

Posts: 16169
Joined: June 2012
Doubt they'll show a spot on HBO, would be neat tho.

Posts: 2546
Joined: June 2016
It's too soon but it would be nice to have a spot during SNL on April 15 when Harry's the musical guest.

I actually don't watch much network TV. I have no idea what would be a good US show for a TV spot. Most highly rated drama series seem to be on HBO.

Posts: 327
Joined: May 2016
Hmm....the SNL thing actually sounds good, but I don't think it will happen.

As a Millenial, I absolutely refuse to pay for cable/HBO. I've got a nice HDTVLeaf antenna and I get a bunch of network channels, but HBO can shove it.

(obviously, I speak for myself - I know lots of people dig HBO)

Post Reply