First Man (2018)

All non-Nolan related entertainment discussion. Join the fun!
Posts: 1945
Joined: January 2015
Location: Poland
Allstar wrote:
October 12th, 2018, 6:21 pm
LelekPL wrote:
October 12th, 2018, 5:40 pm
ArmandFancypants wrote:
October 12th, 2018, 5:15 pm
This is far better than Interstellar by any metric I can think of.
So it's basically the best movie of all-time? Cool
:lol:

This is why people make fun of Nolan fans.
This is why people make fun of Nolan fans :P Believing you have a monopoly on opinion. For me Interstellar is a top 5 movie of all-time. I'm sure your top five is a list of totally indisputable and objectively greatest movies, though.

Posts: 1075
Joined: December 2016
While most people here are giving their first impressions/reviews of this, I can say that one of the best things about seeing 3 movies in one day is seeing the first trailer of this on the big screen before every movie. I’m not complaining tho. Can’t wait to see it next week!

Posts: 8371
Joined: December 2011
Great interview about Chazelle meeting Nolan in post production on this and on the overall "unspectacular" approach https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... an-1151847

(Edit: the latter part, I misremembered where it's from. He basically says that if 2001 is the ultimate way to do space films, he wanted this to be the polar opposite)

Posts: 32
Joined: December 2015
Allstar wrote:
October 13th, 2018, 10:19 am
Master Virgo wrote:
October 13th, 2018, 10:01 am
Currently in the flop zone, might change later on, but that seems unlikely.£
Nice Guys and Blade Runner flopped with great reviews too. Gosling has no draw power at all.
Didn't La La Land do especially well?

Star power isn't a factor anymore. That being said, Gosling does need another winner (BO wise) now with BR2049 and this back to back. But he seems to hate big-budget blockbusters.

Posts: 40973
Joined: May 2010
Minst wrote:
October 13th, 2018, 4:19 pm
Allstar wrote:
October 13th, 2018, 10:19 am
Master Virgo wrote:
October 13th, 2018, 10:01 am
Currently in the flop zone, might change later on, but that seems unlikely.£
Nice Guys and Blade Runner flopped with great reviews too. Gosling has no draw power at all.
Didn't La La Land do especially well?

Star power isn't a factor anymore. That being said, Gosling does need another winner (BO wise) now with BR2049 and this back to back. But he seems to hate big-budget blockbusters.
Stone was the draw there. It still is a factor, it’s just rare these days.

Posts: 9427
Joined: October 2011
Location: Foot of Mt. Belzoni
Allstar wrote:
October 13th, 2018, 4:41 pm
Stone was the draw there. It still is a factor, it’s just rare these days.
Gee, glad that's settled

Posts: 32
Joined: December 2015
Allstar wrote:
October 13th, 2018, 4:41 pm
Minst wrote:
October 13th, 2018, 4:19 pm
Allstar wrote:
October 13th, 2018, 10:19 am


Nice Guys and Blade Runner flopped with great reviews too. Gosling has no draw power at all.
Didn't La La Land do especially well?

Star power isn't a factor anymore. That being said, Gosling does need another winner (BO wise) now with BR2049 and this back to back. But he seems to hate big-budget blockbusters.
Stone was the draw there. It still is a factor, it’s just rare these days.
Aloha
Battle of the sexes
Did her draw not work on those?

Tom Cruise had his BO failures as well. All these so called A-listers. Weird to put the BO failures of these movies on Gosling. Swap him for any other A-lister and it wouldn't have made much difference.

Posts: 40973
Joined: May 2010
You’re right, most actors it wouldn’t have made a difference but DiCaprio for example is a legitimate massive draw and would have made these movies money if he was in them.

Posts: 831
Joined: May 2012
Allstar wrote:
October 12th, 2018, 6:21 pm
LelekPL wrote:
October 12th, 2018, 5:40 pm
ArmandFancypants wrote:
October 12th, 2018, 5:15 pm
This is far better than Interstellar by any metric I can think of.
So it's basically the best movie of all-time? Cool
:lol:

This is why people make fun of Nolan fans.
Interstellar made money.

Posts: 3478
Joined: January 2011
Location: Here?
Holy hell this was spectacular. The IMAX ticket for that sequence alone was worth it. Really impressed with the style choice here and love the 16mm use

Post Reply