Why drop the gun?

This 2002 remake of a Norwegian film follows a Los Angeles homicide detective dispatched to Alaska to investigate the murder of a local teen.
Okay, not sure whether people still go on this part of the forum. But I was watching Insomnia the other day, and the two things that are still really confusing me (minor thou they may be) are:

1. Why did Robin Williams's character drop the gun in the misty forest? He sort of explains it by saying he knew Al Pacino would try and frame him for the shooting of his partner, but I don't really understand why he'd want Pacino to do that.

2. Why was Pacino's partner so terrified of him when he was dying of the gunshot wound? And why was he so certain that Pacino had purposely shot him to try and kill him, even though Pacino was asserting that he couldn't see because of the mist?

Anyway, hope anybody can help me. Just little things, but they're nagging at me a bit.

robboadam31 wrote:
1. Why did Robin Williams's character drop the gun in the misty forest? He sort of explains it by saying he knew Al Pacino would try and frame him for the shooting of his partner, but I don't really understand why he'd want Pacino to do that.

He didn't drop it so that Al Pacino could frame him. What he explained was that he dropped it because he thought Al Pacino would frame him and he was actually dropping the gun so the cops would find it and see that Hap was shot with Pacino's gun and not his.

I'm not sure I'm explaining it best but Williams/Finch dropped the gun because he thought it would deter Pacino/Dormer from framing him. Unfortunately the gun actually worked against Finch as he did not think Dormer would go so far to frame him.

anonymity wrote: He didn't drop it so that Al Pacino could frame him. What he explained was that he dropped it because he thought Al Pacino would frame him and he was actually dropping the gun so the cops would find it and see that Hap was shot with Pacino's gun and not his.
/thread over